Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Baked Mahi-Mahi with Artichokes, and Capers

Yesterday was an extremely productive day, all around. I will take your on a little water ski fishing journey. What you see here is another dish that I created with Mahi-Mahi, freshly caught by a family friend surfer, who now owns a jet ski, mainly, just to use it for fishing in the ocean, having fun, catching the best, do I need to emphasize...the freshest fish, and he is so gracious to share some with us. I have never heard of jet ski fishing...although there are plenty of jet skiers, in the ocean, here in Palm Beach. I will post this recipe that I once again...seriously, just put together with whatever came into my head, and according to the ingredients and fresh herbs my daughter had at her house.

Baked Mahi-Mahi with Artichokes, and Capers

1 1/2 to 2 lbs. Mahi-Mahi
1 6 oz. jar marinated artichokes
1/2 cup capers (minus 1 teaspoon)
3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
3 cloves of garlic, sliced thin
1/2 Aranja brand or any other sour orange
marinade
1 lime cut in half-use juice of half, slice the
other half in thin slices
1 teaspoon Hungarian paprika
salt and pepper to taste

First line a baking or broiling pan with heavy duty aluminum foil and fold up the sides, like in the photo...this way, the juice will not overflow. Place the fish on the foil, pour the sour orange marinade on top of the fish, the olive oil, salt, pepper and the paprika on top of the fish. Empty the small jar of the artichokes, and pour around the fish (not on top) ...Also use the liquid from the marinade. Add the sliced garlic, sprinkle about 1 teaspoon of capers around it. Bake at 375 preheated oven for about 12 minutes...any longer will turn fish dry. Check for doneness, if needed to cook longer, maybe another 3-5 minutes. It should be nice, and flaky. Top with fresh herb sauce. It's "out of this world" tasty, and unique!

Fresh Herb Sauce

A good handful of mixed fresh herbs chopped
(I used what we had available.)
fresh dill
fresh oregano
fresh basil 
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup capers, drained from liquid
(minus 1 teaspoon, which was used for the fish)
salt and pepper to taste
juice of the half lime

Mix all ingredients together, set aside until fish is done, and liberally spoon on top of the fish, as shown in photo. When ready to serve, place fish portion on a large plate, and spoon the artichoke and the sauce it was baked in (topping is already on)...Ready to serve. Serves 2-4, depending on portion size. Delish!

Yesterday I had so much difficulty in posting my recipe for the butternut squash...which I already have done so, only to have it all wiped out, and not be able to retrieve it. Now, I can't even continue on the previous post, or it will run into the comment section, and mess everything up.
So, here is the recipe for the...
Butternut Squash with Organic Rainbow Chard

A large half already cut up butternut squash
1 bunch of rainbow chard
1 bunch of celery
1 cup of San Marzano tomato sauce
(or Marinara sauce...or your favorite tomato sauce)
1/2 plain water
3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
2 cloves garlic chopped
2 teaspoons good quality curry powder
1 teaspoon Hungarian hot paprika

Clean and cut the butternut squash into 1 inch cubes, and roast in the oven, drizzled with olive oil, and your favorite herbs, for about 30 to 45 minutes. Set aside, and use that day, or refrigerate in a plastic container, and save it for another use.
In a large skillet, saute the butternut squash with the rainbow chard, that has been cut up into large chunks, and most of the stalks discarded. Also slice the scallions thin and add them along with the garlic. Saute on medium high for about 10 minutes, now add the water, let it cook down, and add the tomato sauce, the curry, and the paprika, season it with salt and pepper, and let it simmer for an additional 20 minutes being careful not to break all the beautiful chunks of the butternut squash. It is ready, when it gets to a nice thick sauce consistency. Serve it over pasta of your choice: best I found was the rigatoni, or rice, and even better, Israeli, or Moroccan couscous.
You can also add Reggiano Parmigiana cheese on top, if you are serving it over pasta. It is so delicious, not overly spicy, and the butternut squash is perfectly flavored with the spices, and the tomato sauce. The little guy in our family loved it so much, and everybody loved the baked fresh fish too.
Serves 4.









20 comments:

Cucina di Barbara said...

Wow that's so lovely and so yummy...
I love pasta!
Baci
Barbaraxx

Monet said...

Wow! There is nothing better than fresh fish...unless of course you are a culinary genius and add so many delicious flavors and food items! I adore artichokes and capers, so I know that this must have been SPLENDID! Thank you for sharing. I hope that you are having a great Wednesday.

Jenna said...

What a great looking plate of food! And I agree--there's nothing like fresh fish. Yum.

jennaseverythingblog.wordpress.com

Mrs K said...

Elizabeth :) Mahi Mahi looks absolutely exotic and with all those herbs gosh !this one is a sure keeper, and considering this was a fresh catch well you cannot have it any better than this,right! I love the color too,I am literally droooling on the key board now ...hehehehe

Priya said...

Very delectable dish..

Lizzy said...

What an enticing combination of flavors...I love artichokes and capers...this dish looks SO yummy! I'm very jealous of your fresh fish, Lizzie...lucky you!!!

Pegasuslegend said...

Can never have enough fish recipes in my box, love this one!

Biren said...

The baked mahi-mahi looks wonderful! So nice of your friend to share the fish with you. Fresh fish is best. I also like the idea of serving the butternut squash sauce over cous cous. Sounds really yummy!

Magic of Spice said...

OK, I know I am a bit too old but I have attributes that might be endearing? So after you mull that over...can I just ask to be adopted-It could even be as a long lost cousin.
Fresh fish...and this dish are my heaven :)
Perfectly wonderful!

Kim Kelly said...

Mahi Mahi is a favorite in our house!! I've never baked it before. This may be our next version!

Kimberly Peterson said...

That must've tasted absolutely divine. Nothing beats freshly caught fish!! Hubby loves fishing, we need to organise our next trip ASAP!

Sara & Miki said...

Looks very appetizing... Kiss!

aipi said...

Such a exotic n beautiful dish..lovely combo of ingredients..I absolutely love artichokes n capers!

US Masala

Emma said...

That looks so tasty - fresh fish, fresh herbs, extra virgin olive oil - lovely ingredients for sure.

Alexandria said...

Both of these dishes look amazing! One of my favorite things ever is the pairing of artichokes and capers. The pop of the caper with the richness of the artichoke. mmmmm is all I can say. What time is dinner? :)

Angie's Recipes said...

This is my type of comfort food! Love the combination of flavours.

♥Sugar♥Plum♥Fairy♥ said...

Jet Ski fishing sure sounds exciting and not to mentio the freshest catch of the day!!
Ur flavor combis rock and are totally exciting , can only imagine how good it must taste!

Simona said...

Very nice fish recipe. I like mahi-mahi and I wish I could have had a piece of what came out of your oven.

Koci said...

I love fresh fish!! That's so wonderful that you've got somebody who shares his catch! This whole recipe just looks gorgeous. :D

Boulder Locavore said...

Yummy Elisabeth! Wish I lived close enough to invite myself to dinner! So nice you have access to fresh fish. Hope all is well. I owe you an email (so sorry!)! xo