Sunday, December 5, 2010

Not- So Traditional Apple Crisp

If you ever tasted the most delicious apple crisp...this is truly the one. I guaranty you that you will not switch back to the same old...same old. I made this about a month ago, and did not intend to post it on my blog, but now's a good time as any, since my camera broke down, and I will be picking up the new one at my friend's house today. She works at the largest and second favorite department store, Wal-Mart, and passed on her employee discount to me....and not just any discount, but she bought the same camera for herself, and passed both discounts, and that is a huge favor, and present a friend could give to you. I still have quite a few of my little index recipe cards from 20 years ago, before even Windows 95, which was my first computer.

I have cut out this recipe, called Traditional apple crisp from our local Palm Beach Times food section, and carefully glued it onto the index card.The recipe calls for 6 apples, but I only had 4, so I substituted a can of sliced peaches in syrup, and gave it a shot...and you know what? It's the best apple crisp I have tasted so far, and I know for a fact, that there are other versions of this, which I have seen on the food blogs. So here is my adaptation of the recipe.
Not-So Traditional Apple Crisp

1/2 cup quick cooking rolled oats
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
cinnamon
1/2 cup (4oz.) butter
4 medium apples
1 15 oz can sliced peaches in syrup
(save 1/2 cup of the syrup)
2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
Dash of salt

Combine oats, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt. Cut in butter, until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; set aside. Peel, core and slice apples. Fold in the canned, sliced peaches, and add the syrup. Place in a 10 x 6 by 2-inch baking dish, or a square 8x8 dish. Sprinkle with the granulated sugar, sprinkle the crumb mixture  over all. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 40-45 minutes.
Serve with vanilla ice cream, or ice cream of your choice. So yummy, and comforting, it is a simple, yet a wonderful easy dessert. Serves 6.





Enhanced by Zemanta

19 comments:

Monet said...

My heart and thoughts go out to Sheryl's friends and family. Thank you for sharing the Kaddash with us. Your apple crisp truly does look delicious. I love how baking can provide such comfort to those that prepare the food and those that enjoy it. Thank you so much for sharing your recipe! Have a good Sunday afternoon.

Pegasuslegend said...

this looks amazing!

Cucina di Barbara said...

Ciao Elisabeth!
Thank you very much for the award:)

I do really like apples and your apple crisp reminds to me the english crumbe, which is one of my favorite puddings!

Hugs,
barbaraxx

Swathi said...

Looks delicious. I love apple in baking. Sure Sheryl will be in our memories. I will praying for her soul to rest in peace.

michelangelo in the kitchen said...

Hi Elizabeth,
Thank you for your genius and kindness giving this award! I am barely a month old in food blogging. Just like a kid I was pleased as punch when I received it. Humbled and honored I am more inspired by you to do my best.

Love your apple crumble! With ice cream, sensational!! Thanks again for sharing!!!

Evan B said...

I'll take the non-traditional route any day :) Your crisp looks great! I would have never thought to just substitute peaches.. I like the way you think!

Priya said...

Apple crisp looks wonderful and prefect for me..very inviting..

Mateja ^_^ said...

If pears are involved I'm in!!!!!! Thank you for adding me on FoodBuzz. I enjoyed reading your cranberry post ^_^

Lindsey said...

Oh that looks amazing!!! I love how you added peaches and it turned out sooo delicious! I love when things like that happen. I'm definitely going to be trying this. Apples are my favorite fruit and I LOVE peaches! :)

Magic of Spice said...

Hey Elizabeth, this crisp looks amazing...love the add of peaches, and the combination is delicious.
I forgot to mention in your last post, but sorry about your camera. Sounds like it is working out OK though :)
I will check out your new friend you have added here to your award :)

aipi said...

I adore all the fruit crumble...they are simply delightful, quick , easy n decadent!Your first pic with ice cream is very very tempting:)

US Masala

GreenGirl said...

traditional or not your apple crisp look so good.
congrats on your new camera.
hope you're having a wonderful week

Mrs K said...

Apple crisp looks and sounds too good, and I like the addition of peaches to it,and with the ice-cream oooh la...la...*drooling*

Angie's Recipes said...

We, esp. my husband, love crisp! His favourite is with peaches. This looks really crisp and delicious!

Emma said...

This looks lovely! I love apple crumbles and the addition of peaches is genius :D

BakingWithoutaBox said...

Your poor camera. I'm so glad you decided to share this. Lovely crisp.

Luna's Recipes said...

Elizabeth, these apple crisp is making my mouthwater... For starters i practically love anything with apples inside, b ut this recipes looks delicious! Thank you very much for sharing. All the best. Luna

Sandra said...

Oh my, that looks beautiful. So Delicious!

Kim Kelly said...

Wow!!! I love how it's not traditional. Peaches are always a treat!