Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Chunky Tomato Soup, and a Winner!

I made this chunky tomato soup, on the same day that I made the sausage and the polenta, just to have a comforting soup on hand, since I had all the ingredients. I gave a huge amount to my daughter, not to mention the huge pot of chicken soup I made for them, coming back from cold, and freezing NYC. The first thing she asked me was, "did you take a photo of the tomato soup?"...and I said, no! "It's too mediocre"...on second thought, which was a day later, when I heated up the soup..."why not?"...yes, I will take a photo of it, along with my "creme fraiche" topping.
But wait!...I only have about half a portion of soup left over! Oh well!...no worries, still tasted so good, I would have loved a nice grilled cheese sandwich with that, but did not have sliced American, or Cheddar slices on hand, so I just enjoyed the soup with crackers!
 Creme Fraiche:

In a medium saucepan over low heat, warm the cream to 105 degrees F (40 degrees C). Remove from heat and stir in the buttermilk. Transfer the cream to a large bowl and allow this mixture to stand in a warm place, loosely covered with plastic wrap, until thickened but still of pouring consistency.  Stir and taste every 6 - 8 hours. This process takes anywhere from 24 to 36 hours, depending on your room temperature.  The creme fraiche is ready when it is thick with a slightly nutty sour taste.  Chill cream, in the refrigerator, for several hours before using. Creme fraiche may be made and stored in the refrigerator for up to 10 days.

Chunky Tomato Soup
my recipe

2 15 oz. cans or about 2 cups of diced canned tomatoes
1 medium onion, chopped
1 teaspoon honey
2 Tbsp  extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp flour
2 cups of chicken, or vegetable broth
1 teaspoon paprika


In a large pot, simmer tomatoes and onion for 15 minutes. Add honey, and stir. In a medium saucepan, mix olive oil, and flour stirring until smooth. Add a small amount of broth, and paprika, stirring until thickened. Add the ingredients to the large pot, and simmer for another 30 minutes. Serves 4.
note: add a dollop of creme fraiche, when serving.

...AND THE LUCKY  WINNER OF THE GIVEAWAY IS #12, ROXANA, OF 
green girl-a little bit of everything
Congratulations, Roxana!
Thank you all, for participating in my giveaway, there will be more giveaways, of different items, soon! 

36 comments:

Melynda said...

What a lovely bowl of sunshine and congrats "green girl" enjoy your winnings!

GreenGirl said...

I just saw you post something new and wanted to check it up. OMG I'm the winner. I'm so excited.

the soup doesn't sound mediocre at all, I love it

thanks for sharing Elisabeth
hope you'll have a wonderful day

aipi said...

So hearty n flavorful..it will be almost too difficult to take the first sip and break the beautiful pattern you have created :)

Congrats to Roxana..

US Masala

ping said...

Nothing mediocre about this! I can now forget about canned tomato soup, on its own or for my fav tomato pumpkin chicken dish. You, my dear, are very good for me :D

Priya said...

Congrats to the winner, such a catchy and flavourful soup..lovely pattern..

Prathima Rao said...

A hearty, flavorful soup!!!

Priya Sreeram said...

love the flavourful and hearty soup ! good one !

Ritmus said...

Köszönöm, megkaptam az üzeneted, de mivel én blog.hu-n vagyok, emiatt, ha kommentelni szeretnél, az inda.hu-n kell regisztrálni! Sajnos! Követni meg csak a facebook oldalon keresztül lehet, ilyen ez a blog.hu, más lehetőségek vannak rajta, mint a blogspotos oldalon...
De nem is kell, számomra már ez is megtisztelő, ha megnézted a blogomat, köszönöm!!! További jó blogolást kívánok, sok szeretettel: Ritmus

Jay said...

congrats to winner...awesome soup...healthy n tempting..
Tasty appetite

Mateja ^_^ said...

Congrats to Roxana! Now I have a new project: making Cream Fraiche. I love transforming milk/cream to other forms like yogurt, cheese, ice-cream, but have never made Cream Fraiche! And soups are the best! Thank you for sharing Elisabeth ^_^

Biren said...

Congrats to Roxana! That's a cheery bowl of soup. Lovely presentation with that creme fraiche.

Sandra said...

Congrats to Roxana...
Your soup Elisabeth looks so delicious! I love your presentation and photo!

Mrs K said...

Elizabeth,the soup looks so heartening and look at the burst of creme fraiche-Extraordinary :)!!! Congrats to the lucky winner :)

Ms. Bake-it said...

Congratulations to Roxana! Homemade Tomato soup is one of my favorites!

~ Tracy

Julie said...

I love tomato soup SO much and this looks wonderful. I love how your topping formed a star :)

Swathi said...

congrats to roxana. this homemade tomato soup is my weakness. looks awesome.

Eva said...

This soup looks lovely, such a great color and the star in the middle is a beautiful touch. The honey sounds like an interesting addition, will have to give this a try soon!

Chic&Gorgeous said...

Oh, what a delish soup. Tomato soup is one of my all time favourite soup. A lil tangy, yet sweet. A great treat and to go with crackers or grill cheese sandwich?!? {drools} So hearthy and warmth. Yummm... Love your version of tomato chunky soup. Take care Elisabeth! Hugs, Jo.

Bridgett said...

Congrats to the winner. I am loving how this soup is so vibrant and the creme looks wonderful on top.

Emma said...

Lovely soup! I adore the pattern of the creme fraiche on the top, so pretty.

I didn't know that's how you made creme fraiche, I must try that ..

Lizzy said...

Gorgeous soup...and that beautiful "star" of creme fraiche is wonderful! I'd love a bowl right now...

Pegasuslegend said...

look how artistic and talented this presentation is over the top awesome!

scrambledhenfruit said...

Tomato soup and grilled cheese go together so well- it's a favorite combination at my house. Your soup looks lovely- the creme fraiche topping is a nice touch!

Angellove's Cooking said...

Elisabeth, your Tomato Soup looks gorgeous!!! And I love the topping! Congrats to Roxana!!

Hotmomoftwo86 said...

Your tomato soup looks delicious! I LOVE homemade tomato soups. The topping looks very artistic. :) Thanks for sharing!

Foodafok said...

Elisabeth, ez a leves super. A recept szerint ízletessen elkészített, dekoratív tálalással. Gratulálok neked!

Patty said...

Congratulations to the winner and that soup looks amazing...another one of your recipes that I will try...and I love learning how to make creme freche...thank you!!!

Nancy and Vijay said...

Elisabeth your soup looks delicious. Perfect for a cold day in Chicago..it's freezing out :)

Monet said...

I'm so glad you decided to share your soup...I don't think it looks ordinary at all! In fact, tomato soup is one of my favorite dishes. I always smile when I see it. Thank you for sharing this yummy and comforting bowl. Congrats to Roxana too!

Magic of Spice said...

Congratulations Roxana :)
This soup looks so delicious and such a gorgeous color...

1-2Punch said...

That looks delish,and thankyou for the Creme Fraiche recipe I didnt know that one could make it, I love it. Oh by the way, its great that you are a blogging family. Very sweet!

Kathy said...

Wow! Your soup looks so delicious. It would be so perfect for the very cold weather we are having here in NJ. Zero degrees this morning! I love the way you presented your soup with the Creme Fraiche! You are very talented!

Sweet and Savory said...

This is my first time to your blog and I got so carried away with your photos, I didn't look at the recipes. Those are beautiful pics. You are good.

I will return to look at the recipes.

Beastie said...

Méz, hagyma és paradicsom..... nagyon jól hangzik... s úgy látom érdemes a krémmel időt tölteni, mert gyönyörű lett a végeredmény. Mint egy festmény. Gratula!

Jennie said...

What a beautiful looking soup! I'm sure it's delicious too!

Kim Kelly said...

I made my first tomato soup a few months back and my husband was so happy! I'm eager to find new recipes, and your version is far easier than mine was. Nicely done!