Friday, March 23, 2012

Breakfast for Dinner?...or Dinner for Breakfast!

When you finally feel a sigh of relief that you are on the "mend" again, you can just sit back...relax, and thank God you are "alive and kicking!"...seriously, this is how I'm feeling all this last few days of this week. Actually having more energy, and planning to making more effort to get more work done...do some spring cleaning,  organizing, and plan more exciting healthy menus, and keep concentrating on staying healthy, and on track with my Weight Watchers program.
I have not had any strength or energy making anything after the Spicy Thai Squid project, so last evening I decided to check for all the available stuff I had in my fridge to concoct some healthy dinner. I always have plenty of eggs on hand, fresh veggies and fresh herbs that need to be used up. Also found a nice portion of perfectly cut little veggies, potatoes, zucchini, onion, and I decided to make a Ranch Style egg with my last can of Red Gold petite diced tomatoes. I have to be honest it was fast, easy, and very delicious. You should try it sometimes...have it both ways, breakfast, or dinner, use whatever you have leftover in the fridge...break an egg or two over the vegetables, let it cook for a few minutes, and dinner is served! I did not serve this over tortilla shells, to save on points. Potatoes served as "starch."

Ranch Style Eggs- (Huevos Rancheros)
my own creation


A good portion of leftover cooked potatoes, cooked vegetables, even rice, or pasta will do!
2 cups leftover diced, cooked vegetable
1 cup diced canned, or fresh tomatoes
herbs, such as fresh parsley, basil, or cilantro
seasoning of your choice. ( I used cayenne pepper, garlic salt, cumin, and few drops of hot sauce)
Reheat vegetable in a work or a large nonstick skillet, add the tomatoes, and spices, and heat to a boil.

In a small dish, break an egg into it...










Carefully slide it onto the cooked veggies, make a little well and let it cook until you see the white form.
Adjust seasoning, and sprinkle with your favorite herbs.











You can serve it over tortilla shell but can eat it with a slice of toast, as well!
Points value: 5













I must admit the real reason that I have been so ill for the last 6, perhaps even 8 weeks, and not really admitting it is; When you have emotional strings "tugging at your sides"...it affects your physical health, as well. We all have obstacles in our daily life of some sorts that we have to deal with, and I've had my share of that in the last few months.
All this time I've resided on Palm Beach Island; since the last few years, I have not taken a walk on A-1 A which is the route you take along the scenic beach view all along the from North, to South all the way to Miami. I decided to take a little walk from my my condo unit to want to check out the sunset, walking south from where I live. On the right side is the Intracoastal waterway, that connects Palm Beach, to West Palm Beach. On the left side...going south is the Atlantic Ocean.
I have also made a discovery in the last few months driving by, less than 1/4 mile across the street from me... a new bench has been added to the sidewalk...not just one, but 2, which is facing the water!
Believe it or not, this bench has been erected here, facing the gorgeous water view...so you can catch the sunset...it has been placed in the honor of one of the owners of a near-by condo unit, for his 80th birthday, back in Jan. 2012.
There's 3 plaks on the upper part of the bench mentioning the gentleman's name, and from who this was given from. A public bench that can be enjoyed by all! Which I certainly did!
A magnificent sunset from sitting on the bench...gathering my thoughts. A great place to renew your heart...letting the calm and clear water refresh your soul!
Try to find a quiet place to sit and write down your thoughts. We all need a new way to refresh our spirit daily...with nature's blessings!
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you...a JOY
~Rumi

Living in harmony and feeling nurtured by your environment, a condition of respect and appreciation for your home, nature, and the earth!

Enhanced by Zemanta

43 comments:

laurie said...

what a beautiful post, I hope that you feel happy and well, putting the last weeks of illness way behind you.Happy weekend to you!

Erika said...

Lovely meal, never heard of it but will definitely try it in the near future. You live in a lovely place...

Patty said...

I love this post, Elisabeth...beautiful writing!!!

Not sure about the tomatoes in eggs...lol...too many things touching but it looks good!!!

ping said...

Glad to hear you're recovering, both from your flu and whatever it was that caused you sadness. This dish and this scenery would lift up anyone's spirit. You're so fortunate to live in such a beautiful place. On the bright side, you'd probably have lost quite a few pounds because of your illness ... not a nice way to lose it but hey!
Cheer up, Elisabeth dear, things could be worse. You're strong. Keep smiling!

Christine's Pantry said...

I hope you are feeling better now. Nice meal and photos.

SKIP TO MALOU said...

Glad to know that you are on your way to recovery both in health and body. i myself have been away for a while too but Im glad to have bounced back.
happy weekend Elisabeth.. i hope to see you around!
malou

Loveforfood said...

I am drooling right now at my desk at work.

Amelia's De-ssert said...

Hi Dear Elisabeth, hope you are feeling much better today with God Bless.

Your dish sure look wonderful be it serve for breakfast or dinner. I'm sure it taste good with tortilla or naan bread. Very appetizing and the color look great.

Lover your Palm Beach Island, so beautiful to have a morning or evening walk or siting on the bench to see the sunset. Thanks for sharing the excellent photos.

Take care my dear. See you in my blog soon.
With hugs and kisses. Warm regards

Angie's Recipes said...

A breathtakingly beautiful sunset photo...
Since I just steamed some rice, so how about for the lunch!?

I wish you a wonderful weekend!
Angie

trollanyu said...

Nagyon szépséges és finom étel, a fotóid gyönyörűek, nem bánnám akár egy késői reggelire, akár vacsorára elkészítve. Nagyon örülök, hogy jobban érzed magad, energiával telítődve, szép hétvégét:)

Elpiniki said...

This sounds really good! Your presentation is also great!

Rosemary said...

I could eat the picture! I just love colorful food, and breakfast for dinner is a common -- and welcome -- event in my house!

Cathleen said...

This looks great! I would eat it for every meal of the day, anyday!

marisz57 said...

Elisabeth, gyönyörűek az étel fotóid és a hely is, ahol élsz. Egyél minél gyakrabban ilyen szép színes ételeket, ezek adnak energiát és egészséget

Suzi said...

Such an uplifitng post and lovely photos not to mention the breakfast/dinner. Looks delish and I am glad you are feeling better. Have a great weekend.

Elisabeth said...

Hi Suzi-when I clicked on your name to comment back, it took me to the foodbuzz post of yours. I commented and copied the password precisely, but Word Press told me it's in ERROR, and wiped my entire comment out. Not going back there to try again. Nice falafel bites!
Also, I buzzed you from foodbuzz!

Pegasuslegend said...

Wish I had some of this yesterday, was in a meeting for 9 hours in Coral Springs and didnt eat a thing! They catered Sbarro and I am allergic to onions they put in their Italian Sauce... We have never heard of onions in Italian Sauce, so good thing I brought a banana and some saltines, took three hours to get back.. this would have been adorned by me and you were so close!!!!! hope you have a great weekend!

Elisabeth said...

Next time you're in my area, do let me know, Claudia, Coral Springs is in Boca Raton, all the way west! Boca Raton is only a 30min. drive from here, but where you were is out in the "boondocks", another hour and 30minutes way out west! Didn't know you're allergic to onions, or maybe just a certain kind?

Lizzy said...

Oooh, I love dinner for breakfast...and this looks both yummy and healthy! Yeah, I think the rules for the Leibster have gotten lost along the way...so I've just accepted graciously...and not passed it along. I'll catch up with you next week when we get back in town :) xo

Elisabeth said...

Lizzy, you accept things graciously, while unfortunately I turned mine down. I still have 3 awards that I should pass along, it's just takes so much time linking them and letting the people know, and what is even worse, when someone you pass the awards on to doesn't even acknowledge it! I think sometimes it's just an "oversight" on their part! Have a wonderful spring break!xo

mellissina2 said...

Elizabeth!
Remélem jobban vagy!!!nagyon finom lehet ez a reggeli,ebéd,vagy ebéd reggeli fogás!!!Csinos!!! Vigyázz Magadra! puszil Piroska!

Jill | Dulce Dough said...

What a beautiful post Elisabeth--such a beautiful sunset and a beautiful dish that you shared as well. Gorgeous colors in them both. I'm glad you are feeling better.

Teena Mary said...

This looks fabulous!! I would love to have it any time!!! The clicks looks awesome too :)

Choc Chip Uru said...

Either way, I like breakfast anytime or dinner :D
Love this recipe, photos and post!

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru
Latest: Colossal Caramel Peanut Monster Cookies

Katalin said...

Nagyon jó lehet, sok finom fűszerrel ízesítetted. Akár reggelire, akár vacsorára elfogadnám. Ismét szép színes, étvágygerjesztő!

Becky said...

Elisabeth,

Elisabeth,
This was such a beautiful post, with beautiful writing, scenery, and food. It was very inspirational, as well. Glad that you are feeling better.

Have a wonderful Sunday!

Sandra M. said...

Beautiful post Elisabeth, as always! Love your pics..very pretty, and dinner for breakfast or breakfast for dinner is yummy! Glad you are feeling great!!xoxo

Jane said...

Beautiful scenery Elisabeth! I can hardly wait till we get rid of our last dump of snow and spring finally arrives here. I love your concotion - I make up this type of dish quite often - depending what I have on hand, they're different each time and always good :) Glad you are feeling all better.

Pacheco Patty said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and delicious food with us Elisabeth, you live in a beautiful place;-)

Kathy said...

Elizabeth, So glad you’re starting to feel better! Wishing all good things for you! Hopefully you are back to normal soon!
Love your egg dish…I would definitely eat this for dinner. Looks very satisfying. Sometimes I fix omelets for our dinner…it’s a favorite! Have a great weekend my friend…feel better…I’ll be thinking of you!

mia xara said...

Hi Elisabeth,Glad you're feeling better and ready for more projects!Your dish looks so flavorful,as well as so full of color!!!Have a good week,XO!

Jenn said...

I am a huge fan of this dish! I love Mexican style eggs.....a new one I found a few yrs back, Basque Eggs....lovely! I see that awards are not your thing but have nominated you regardless today for The Versatile Blogger award as a way to pass on the kudos among a like-minded group. From one blogger to another...its just a way to say hi-thanks-and good job : )

Ally said...

Wow, this looks like such a hearty & satistfying breakfast! Perfect start to any day!
xo
http://allykayler.blogspot.com/

The Harried Cook said...

I am so glad you are feeling better, Elisabeth! :) Big hugs to you... I love how your food reflects you - so full of life & color! This meal looks absolutely delicious and I would gladly eat it for dinner or for breakfast! Thank you for sharing this with us!

Swathi Iyer said...

Delicious,now my breakfast is also bread and eggs. Sure going to try this version for a change.

Elisabeth said...

Hi Jenn-I left you a comment on your blog. Thanks for visiting and commenting on my blog...also, I do appreciate the Versatile award you passed on to me, thank you so much!

Elisabeth said...

Hi Ally, I checked out your Bloglovin' site, and I'm following you on there. Lovely photos...I thought first, that I was on Pinterest!
Thanks for your kind comment on my blog!

lena said...

i hope as i'm writing now, you are all well and in good form. Just like what quoted in your header, we are heading for a new now every moment. Have a nice day, your dish would certainly whet one's appetite! HAppy to follow you from now.

Junia said...

the veggies with an egg sound healthy and yum! so glad you are on the mend. i was sick with the flu last week, so i know your pain!

Balvinder (Neetu) said...

Yes, I do Dinner for breakfast and vice versa when I am eating alone. I love Mexican food because it is safe for a GF person just like indian food.
Pictures of Palm beach Island are beautiful.

Marina Momotok said...

Hi Elizabeth, new follower to your blog and im loving your recipes, i love having breakfast for dinner so this is perfect :) Thanks for sharing!!! You can visit me at;
http://eatandtheneatsomemore.blogspot.com

Vicuska said...

Szeretem az ilyen színes, finom, hangulatos ételeket! Remélem, már teljesen jól vagy! :)

Lyndsey said...

Elisabeth, I hope you are still feeling better. What a lovely post this is, i really enjoyed it. How nice to have a bench so you can sit and catch the sunset.

My daughter just can't get into breakfast for dinner, but I would eat this up. Sorry I hadn't realized that I missed so many of your posts...catching up now...so much to do so little time :) But I always like coming here, it makes me feel good!

Stay well and hope your worries stay far away!