Friday, January 19, 2018

Venison Stew with Potato Balls

After a long absence from my blog, I decided to return or just leave things the way they are...which is the wrong choice. Eight years have passed and things have changed so much on social media but I do feel proud to have accomplished so much not to give it all up!

I have several photos of great dishes I've made since my absence and would like to share them with you. While enjoying my Christmas vacation along with my daughter and grandchildren staying with family in Ohio, I did prepare some nice dishes since it's my second home and I enjoy feeling home and comfortable in the kitchen.

I must admit, venison is not on my favorite list of meat to prepare, but since I was asked to prepare something, I decided on a stew. There are three types of meats that I would rather stay away from cooking, is venison (poor 'bambi') lamb, and rabbit...each of these 3 I have witnessed being butchered, so I have a difficult time preparing them to be eaten! So that narrows things down to occasional beef, and pork...chicken is still on my list, and of course seafood as well! So, I will share the recipe with you how I prepared the Venison Stew...so northern style and for sure not something we make here in S. Florida for sure. We don't hunt...we fish!

Venison Stew with Potato Balls


1 large onion chopped
3 cloves of garlic minced
3 carrots scraped and chopped
3 stalks celery diced
4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
32 oz. vegetable broth
1 yellow hot wax pepper sliced (opt.)
salt, and pepper to taste
2 Tbsp Hungarian hot, and/or sweet
Paprika
3 - 4 1/2 lbs. venison cubed to 1 inch
pieces

In a large deep skillet, or dutch oven, on medium high heat, add oil and the chopped onion, garlic, celery, carrots, and yellow hot wax pepper, until onions are soft. Add the Hungarian paprika, and add about 1/4 cup of the broth. Stir and let it cook down until it thickens. Add the cut up venison cubes, stir and let it cook down until all is incorporated with the paprika mixture. Add the broth, cover with lid and let it simmer on med-low heat for at least 1 1/2 to 2 hrs until sauce is thickened, and meat is tender.
4-6 servings

For the Potato Balls

4 med potatoes peeled and diced
2 to 3 cups all purpose flour
2 eggs lightly beaten
salt and pepper to taste

Boil potatoes until tender





With a potato ricer, or in a food processor, mash the potatoes to a fine pulp








Mix together with the flour and eggs (not shown)









Lightly form into a large balls and with an ice cream scooper, scoop out equal amounts and form into balls.








Shape the balls into about 2 or inches round. Bring water to boil in a large pot and drop the balls into the rapid boiling water.






Potato balls should come to the surface and simmer for at least another 15-20 but no longer than that, or it will fall apart!
Scoop potato balls unto a platter with a large slotted spoon, and serve with the Venison Stew!
4-6 servings





Please Note: I've been having some serious issues with my comment section. I had 18 comments, and missing 8. I feel so bad because I have no idea what happened to the last 8 comments. Also, I'm not able to comment on most blogs, so I did leave comments on Google + on some of the comments, hoping that you would see them. I think the problem started when I tried to change and upgrade to a new look and lost some apps and content. I will try to work out these issues and try to comment on your blogs and reply back on mine as well! So sorry for not being able to comment on your blogs, but I will be contacting you one way or the other!
Hugs,
Elisabeth ...aka Liz, Lizzie, Eli, Elisa...Food and Thrift








12 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

The meat looks so succulent and tender...wish I could taste some! Thumbs for you making the potato balls from the scratch. A perfectly comforting and delicious meal, Eli.

Joyful said...

Your dish looks and sounds so amazing. I like venison stew and those potato balls really appeal to me.

Gloria Baker said...

looks really delicious!

Whats Cookin Italian Style Cuisine said...

outstanding love this cant wait to get more deer meat and my husband will thank you too! hope your doing well! nice to see you!

Ruxana Gafoor said...

Looks delicious!

Ola said...

Nice to see you again! Such good food for winter!

Nava K said...

Glad you decide to blog sphere after a long break. Venison too is not my fav, but let me tell you that stew and potato balls are tempting. What a meal for a cold day.

Elisabeth said...

Thank you for your kind comments, I will visit your blogs and catch up with your latest posts as well!

Joyful said...

Oh dear, I was typing a comment which disappeared before I was finished. I left a Google+ comment for you asking if you still blog, lol. I couldn't get to it from some of your last posts there but one of your posts there several older ones actually) had the name of your blog in the bottom left corner so that is how I found you again! Thank you so much for your diligence in leaving me a comment. I know sometimes blogger does act up for awhile. Hugs from Canada!

Whats Cookin Italian Style Cuisine said...

I really wished we had some venison left. My husband couldnt go up to New york last year and we ran out of it. He goes every year, when he get a dear we have it for a whole year. Sigh, I am saving this for when we get it again! love it!

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

I bet this would taste great with beef! And your potato balls would definitely be a hit around here!!!

PH said...

That looks great, Elisabeth! I never see venison at the supermarket, so I guess I could cook this stew with beef. I see that you did not sear the meat first and that's really great because I find that step such a hassle. Those missing comments, did they go to your spam folder?