With all the cookbooks, and I mean...tons of them at my daughter's house, plus my own, and all the recent cooking magazines, collected recipes...and the Internet...whewww...sheesh; it's so hard to decide on something, other than a recipe 'hitting you in the face'...at the spur of the moment!
(notice, how the first photo I took indoors with natural light...and the second, I 'staged it outside in the glorious sun light...well, not directly, but knowing in 2hrs the clouds will cover the skies, and the 'downpour' of rain will begin...non-stop. The swimming pool is practically overflowing, and the 'self cleaning vacuum for the pool 'konked out'...sigh!
'free form' galette which is the easiest to make...it has the zest of 1 lemon, and also the juice of the same lemon, after you used the zest, and add the juice to the dough.
- Juice and zest of ½ lemon (I used 1 whole)
- 1⅓ cups plus 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour, divided (I used 1 1/2 cups)
- ½ tsp kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1 stick (½ cup) plus 1 Tbsp unsalted butter, cut into small pieces (I used sea salt)
- 2 Tbsp sugar, plus 1 tsp for sprinkling
- 1 lb , hulled and halved
- 1 heaping cup (about 6 oz)
- 1 large egg white
- Combine lemon juice with enough ice water to make ¼ cup lemon water. In bowl of a food processor, mix 1⅓ cups flour, ½ tsp salt, and lemon zest until combined. Add 1 stick butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal with pea-sized bits. Drizzle in lemon water and pulse until dough just comes together.
- Scrape dough onto a work surface, then press into a flat disk. Cover tightly with plastic wrap; refrigerate 30 minutes.
- to 450˚F. In a , whisk remaining 2 Tbsp flour, 2 Tbsp sugar, and a pinch salt. Add and and stir to thoroughly combine, scraping down sides with a rubber spatula.
- Place refrigerated dough on a lightly floured work surface.
- Roll into a 12-inch round, then transfer to a parchment paper–lined rimmed baking sheet. Mound berry mixture in center, leaving a 2-inch border. Gently fold in crust, pleating edges to enclose. Whisk egg white with 1 Tbsp water, then brush egg mixture onto crust and sprinkle with remaining 1 tsp sugar.
- Transfer baking sheet to oven, lower heat to 425˚F, and bake until crust is golden, 20 to 22 minutes. Let cool 15 minutes, then serve warm or at .