Tuesday, November 23, 2010
Sun dried Tomatoes in Herbed Olive Oil
1/2 lb. sun dried tomatoes, just plain-not in olive oil
(can be purchased in your supermarket, or specialty market)
3 cloves garlic cut in half
extra virgin olive oil to fill the jar
1 teaspoon of mixed dry herbs
(I mixed dry pepper flakes, dried oregano, and parsley, along with black pepper,
and a dash of garlic powder, to make a batch, or use your favorite mix herbs.)
3 large basil leaves torn in half
In a medium saucepan, place the sun dried tomatoes, and the garlic halves, fill with water, just enough to cover the tomatoes, bring to a boil, and turn it off immediately. Let it sit for about 10 minutes off heat, strain all the water, pack the jar with all the listed ingredients, fill to the top with extra virgin olive oil, and refrigerate when it cools completely. You can use it for many uses, as in pasta, pizza topping, or for any recipe that calls for sun dried tomatoes in oil. It's a lot less expensive to make your own, and will taste so exquisite. It also makes a special gourmet gift for someone for the holidays. Just cut a scrap of a holiday paper, or cloth, wrap a pretty bow or holiday string around it, and make someone "happy"...smiles guaranteed!
As I mentioned previously, I found this wonderful coffee cake book at Goodwill last week,and could not imagine anyone dropping this great book off, when it looked brand new, and such good recipes of coffee cakes with beuatiful photos of it inside. Also savory cakes as well. The paperback books at my local Goodwill store cost $.79 cents, sometimes more, as much as $2.49, regarding the type and size of a book.
This book retails at $18.95, and it's a 2006 edition.
99% of the time the books that are donated there are in "mint", new condition. Such bargains are so amazing to find. I am going to start more giveaways, because all I've been doing with some of these books by re-donating it back or forcing my daughter to take them, when she herself has so many books. As I googled about the author of this book, and found another really good recipe from one year ago....@happygomarni.com.
To enter the giveaway:
1) Please follow foodandthrift on Twitter...sorry, I don't have an account on Facebook. If you already do so, please see number 3. If you are doing so for the first time, please let me know that you are now following me on Twitter, so I could add you to the giveaway.
2) Leave a comment on this post! You are encouraged to share a comment about coffee cakes, other books or any other thoughts.
3). If you RT or post on your Twitter page this giveaway post link, you get an additional entry. Please drop me an additional comment on this post saying that you did so.
4) To get an additional chance in the giveaway, become a "follower" of food and thrift find's blog.
5) Drawing will be done randomly from all comments recorded by Sunday, Nov. 28, at 11 PM (EST) and one lucky winner will announced.
6) Please note: Shipping only in the US. I apologize to my International friends.