Friday, July 1, 2011

Mango Daiquiri...and 4th of July Weekend!

Just when everybody is planning their 4th of July celebration, I will be all alone for 4th of July. I should feel sad, and bad...but not SO! It will be a relief to spend  that day totally alone. Daughter and family in Italy, son and family will be spending the weekend in South Beach, celebrating their wedding anniversary, and meeting up with relatives...and I will just "chill out" and relax, on Monday.
Not such a bad idea, spending the day house and dog sitting, holding down the fort, as Patty,
 @Patty's Food  mentioned it in my previous post comment.

I'm linking this to: Cookbook Sunday  @Mom's Sunday Cafe


To think I was complaining about not having enough mangos on the tree this year, but the few that mother nature is giving us, is more than enough for mango smoothies, and maybe a few other wonderful desserts, as in mango sorbet, or mango cake...but I opted for the Mango Daiquiri last Sunday, when my ex-hubby, my son, and family was here last Sunday. I was so ambitious to make the special brunch again, but a special refreshing drink addition...Mango Daiquiri. To be perfectly honest, I have not had a daiquiri cocktail of any kind, for over 20 years...seriously, back in the eighties, perhaps. It is so refreshing, I wanted to make strawberry daiquiri, but ended up making strawberry smoothies for my granddaughters. Yumm!
The majestic mango tree, that is at least a half a century old...so regal, so kind...giving us fruit year after year...although this year, not so much but we appreciate every fruit that we can pick up from the ground in the morning...before the squirrels get them and take a big chunk out of the mangos.

Frozen Mango Daiquiri
source: Epicurious

3 oz (1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons) amber rum

1 1/2 cups (1-inch) cubes of firm-ripe mango (from two 1-lb mangoes), frozen

3 tablespoons fresh lime juice

1 oz (2 tablespoons) triple sec

4 teaspoons superfine granulated sugar

2 cups ice cubes

Preparation:
Blend all ingredients in a blender until smooth.

Yields: 2 servings

I had no clue as to what type of rum to buy, and decided on a nice amber rum from Barbados. Also, you need Triple Sec to make daiquiris













Just look at the beautiful pitcher of Mango Daiquiri!
Cheers!














My little companions...Lora's doggies...Stella, and Luigi (Lui)...waiting for a treat, perhaps a bite of the home fries











I have still...yet, to give you the recipe for the yummy home fries!

Life isn't so bad...it's what we make of it. Don't feel like you are missing something in life. You would be surprised how good life is, just stop to marvel at nature's beauty...enjoy each day with just the simple things and be happy with yourself, and you will discover a different person, which is YOU!

BTW- I brought my camera cable here to Lora's house and uploaded all my photos to put into my own photo library, so I don't have to wait around to upload them from my computer. Genius! why didn't I think of this before?...except on this computer, there is no Zemanta program...but all is good!

43 comments:

A multi-dimensional life said...

Elisabeth, you sound like such good company!
I'm sure Stella and Luigi stayed close by waiting for at least one home fry to drop to the floor! They look delicious! What a delightful meal and oh the thought of a Mango tree! None of those here in the midwest! I know you are enjoying yourself and all the simple pleasures that you have been blessed with! xo

ping said...

Well, I guess I'll be celebrating July 4th with you from this end of the world. Not much going on here for that and here I am thinking of all the good times and fond memories of a place I loved. Wish I could have some of that daiquiri. Looks so refreshing!

Priya said...

Wow Mango daiquiri looks super interesting and delicious...

My Home Diary in Turkey said...

wow... You have your own majestic mango tree..! envy U Elisabeth... :p
and what a great idea to make it mango daiquiri ^,^

Veronica's Kitchen said...

Enjoy each day with just the simple things and be happy with yourself...you have such a great gratitude towards life. Wish I have a mango tree like yours!

Angie's Recipes said...

wow I envy that you(your daughter) have mango tree! The daiquiri looks splendid!

Eli, I wish you have a relaxing and peaceful weekend!
Angie

Michael Toa said...

Mango daiquiri sounds fantastically refreshing Elisabeth. Love the star fruits as well. Couldn't really get them here in the UK, and when they appear, they cost both arms and legs.
Enjoy your weekend!

Brenda said...

I love mango smoothies but have never had a mango daiquiri before. It's sounds so refreshing. I'd love one while sitting on my porch reading. It sounds as if you're going to have a wonderful July 4th anyway Elisabeth. You sound like me, I enjoy my time alone. Have a great weekend my friend!

Tiffany said...

Looks so tasty and refreshing! And I love that you served them in mason jars!

Parsley Sage said...

You have a mango tree!? I'm so incredibly jealous! Fabulous drink, have a fantastic 4th! Buzzed :)

Elyse @The Cultural Dish said...

Mmm I have definitely had my share of mango daquiris! I love them so much! It's also not fair that you have a mango tree... I'm jealous! :)

Kathy said...

Oh Elizabeth, These mango daiquiris look so wonderful and your photos are gorgeous! How lucky are you to have a mango tree? Have a great week-end enjoying the solitude…some times you need alone time! I do! Happy 4th!

laurie said...

I just can't imagine what it must be like to have a mangoe tree in your yard,, just so very exotic!I'm not going to say sorry you are alone for the holiday only because you sound quite content and happy for a bit of time alone.Enjoy your day and I just love your yard,, its so very different from anything here,, beautiful, mango smoothies sound yummy!

Junia said...

first of all, that mango daquiri sounds FABULOUS! mmmmm :). and second of all, those homefries look DELISH.

Christine's Pantry said...

I want to celebrate July 4th with you! :-)

Elisabeth said...

Thank you...you are all so sweet and caring!
Christine, you are most welcome to celebrate 4th of July with me.
It's only one day, such an important day that should not be spent alone...Independence day should be a celebration with loved ones, and friends, and watch the beautiful fireworks.I will have a blissful and quiet day, relax, and catch up on some reading!

The Intracoastal waterway, is within short walking distance, and I would not want to miss that!
HAPPY 4th OF JULY, to all my friends!
Hope you will have a wonderful day:D
Hugs!

Mari said...

Look at that mango tree! Beautiful!! My mangos are not yet ripe, but this would be a great recipe to try. Stella and Luigi, are adorable! Your salad looks delicious and yes I am waiting for your home fries recipe and the berry filled french toast :)

Have s Happy Independence Day.... relax and enjoy!

Chic & Gorgeous Treats said...

Happy 4th of July [in advance] Elizabeth! And your mango daiquiri looks absolutely refreshing. Gotta make some for myself too.. And you're not alone. You have all of us foodies here to chill with you, spiritually and mentally ;p. Enjoy a break and soak in the beautiful summer. Hugs, Jo

Angellove's Cooking said...

Mmmmm, Elisabeth - your mango daiquiri looks so tempting!! AndIloveyourmangotree too :)!! My son has own little one at my mom's place and is so happy it keeps growing :)...

Shabs said...

Happy Independence day Elisabeth and please do give the recipe of those yummy looking fries :).

Lilla said...

Certe volte avere un week end tutto per noi è bellissimo!! E questo mango daiquiri sembra favoloso...ho proprio voglia di assaggiarlo!

claudia lamascolo said...

I love that this is healthy fruit with my favorite rum what a great reason to drink! Happy 4th my friends stay safe!

mellissina2 said...

Ünnepelni szép környezetben,nem olyan fájdalmas,még ha egyedül vagyunk is,mert az egyedüllét ideiglenes!!!!és néha nem árt!!!Kellemes időtöltést!!!!

Lizzy said...

Oh, how delicious and utterly tropical! I haven't had a daiquiri in ages, either, but I have a huge craving for one now! Enjoy your peace and quiet...you will be surrounded by your loved ones again very soon. xoxo

Becky said...

Your mango daiquiri looks so inviting. You're very lucky have a mango tree.. in your yard. I love mango drinks, but my favorite way to eat a mango is sliced with a squeeze of lime. Have a safe and Happy 4th of July!

Emma said...

You've found my weakness Elisabeth, I adore mango daiquiris! We are big mango fans here in Aus.

I know I've said this before, but I just love your garden, it reminds me of my home growing up :)

Erin said...

How awesome that you have a mango tree! This drink looks amazing! It would really help my aching muscles right now :) Happy 4th of July!

Shen @ Justonecookbook.com said...

Mango and Rum on a beautiful summer day, what else can you ask for. You're so lucky to have a mango tree in the backyard, deers eat everything living in our backyard.

Spicey said...

Yum! I definitely need some mango now. *lol* :)

Your garden is beautiful.

aipi said...

I just looooved the daiquri recipe. I am bookmarking this and trying this ASAP :)
Thanks for sharing Elisabeth!
Hope you guys are having a great 4th of July weekend :)
US Masala

Mélange said...

Wow..this dish with mango,daiquiri is new to me Elizabeth..Looks real pleasure..
Nice blog here.Thanks for leading me here..see you..

mia xara said...

Elisabeth, I love both the mango daiquiri and your attitude on life!!!And I have to add that the mango tree looks just gorgeous!Looking at it full of fruit,what a view on a beautiful Independence Day!Hope you enjoyed it!

purabi naha said...

This is mango season and the mango daiquiri seems to be the perfect solution to beat the heat. Perfect pictures!
You and your blog's name have been mentioned on my latest post on Authentic Indian Chutneys. You are invited to my blog for receiving some beautiful awards! Congratulations!!
http://cosmopolitancurrymania.blogspot.com

briarrose said...

Yum! I haven't had a daquiri in an age. Looks refreshing.

Pacheco Patty said...

Hi Elizabeth, I could have used a mango daiquiri this past weekend, it looks so slushy and good!
Thanks for the mention, I'm glad you were able to fulfill your responsibility over the weekend;-)

Melynda said...

Elisabeth, this drink looks just like summer! Thanks for sharing with Cookbook Sundays!

Divya Yadava said...

Summer in a glass! This looks delishh...

mangiabella said...

this Mango Daiquiri looks so tasty and refreshing, I love all things mango, and this just makes my mouth water!!! I hope your time alone was peaceful and filled with rest and rejuvination....I'll tell you what, I could use a little alone time myself right about now LOL

Kim - Liv Life said...

MMMMMM!!! Yes please!!! This is SO my type of drink. I'm absolutely green with envy about that mango tree. My friend grew up in Panama and said that mango trees were everywhere and they got mangoes for free. She has a hard time paying for green ones here!

Ami said...

WOW! I love this daiquiri! :)

Magic of Spice said...

That actually sounds like a lovely day to me, and I will have 2 of these daiquiri...please :)

Anonymous said...

I think the admin of this site is genuinely working hard in favor of
his web page, since here every data is quality based material.


My website :: Candy Crush Saga Hack

Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.