Saturday, August 2, 2014

Pasteles de Guayaba-(Cuban Guava Pastries)

Hi Everyone! You may be wondering, or not...where I could have been; so unlike me, to disappear for one month and not announce where, or why?...or perhaps what happened to my untimely disappearance, when I have always seemed to share my routine activities on my blog. Well, it hasn't been the best of my last month, being without my family; missing them, terribly...both my 2 children and my 4 grandchildren away on their respective vacations...and me; left behind...a first time, in 12 years!

Also, for the last 2 years, I have stopped celebrating birthdays, anniversaries, and special events, that have been bringing happy memories in my life...the past entire month have been bringing up such 'bittersweet' memories for me...thinking about my past 2 year losses of loved ones I lost; including my 2 beloved cats, Prince and Mush and my son's beautiful Black Lab beloved family dog named Thai...all gone in the last 2 years! Sometimes feelings get so overwhelming when you stop to think about recent losses, and sad 'world events'...you just have to take a step-back...take a 'break' away from a 'routine' and pray in silence... for better 'tomorrow' and PEACE for our future!
For the last two weeks, I've been wanting to post my 'new found' amazing, and ridiculously easy dessert that I made, but been putting it off, thinking that I may have lost my food blogger friends...since I have not commented to all of you, since the last time I posted. I really appreciate all your friendship and I hope I did not offend you in any way! Well, after hesitating to even look into my own blog...I'm back, and starting my 4th year blogging, this month...it's either 'Do, or DIE' so; no party, no celebration...just a quiet return for more, and hopefully better year!
"Ay Que Rico"...as they say in Spanish..."Oh, How Good"...and it certainly is, this magical Guava paste, which is made from Guava fruit, that we are so fortunate to have it growing in South Florida.

To be perfectly honest, I have never made this pastry in all my years living in South Florida; always buying it in our local supermarket, fresh, and warm to savor with a 'Cafecito'...which is a Cuban espresso, or 'Café con leche' the Cuban coffee with milk...a match made in 'heaven' for coffee lovers like myself! Here, in West Palm Beach, you can also find these yummy pastries in Cuban restaurants, and Cuban bakeries...and even at a local Cuban gas station; always served warm, and oozing with the guava paste that is naturally sweet, and is so good for you...rich with Vitamin C!
Photo...courtesy of  the Internet
This is what a ripe Guava fruit looks like on a Guava tree! Although, most of the trees are found in Miami, I have not seen them in anyone's yard, other than on a Guava Farm.



Pasteles de Guayaba-Cuban Guava Pastries

source; adapted from 3 different Internet recipes

1 package of puff pastry
1 package of Guava Paste
1 egg and 1 Tbsp. cane sugar for sprinkling




Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Thaw puff pastry according to package directions.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and unfold one of the pastry sheets onto the pan.





Slice the guava paste into 1/2 inch slices, and place evenly over the pastry sheet.








Top with second puff pastry sheet and cut into desired slices. I cut mine into 4x6 inches.
( Use a pizza cutter for easier cutting.)












With a sharp knife, cut small slashes for air vents. Beat egg in a small bowl, and brush the top of the puff pastries, and sprinkle the cane sugar over it.











Bake at 375 Degrees F. for 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool to room temperature, and serve. Refrigerate leftovers (if any) very nice reheat!








So delicious as a breakfast/brunch treat, or an afternoon snack, paired with your favorite coffee or tea, or just with an ice cold glass of your favorite milk.

Note: In my 40 yrs of living in S. Florida, this is the first time I have made this super easy and delicious Guava Pastries...my family loved it, and have requested to keep making it. Next time, I will spread cream cheese over the guava paste...yumm





Ingredients
  • 1 Package of Puff Pastry
  • 1 Package of Guava Paste
  • 1 package of Cream Cheese (optional)
  • 1 Egg & Cane Sugar
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 400 Degrees F
  2. Thaw Puff pastry according to package directions.
  3. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and unfold one of the pastry sheets and place on pan.
  4. Slice guava into ¼ inch slices and place evenly on the pastry sheet.
  5. Spread cream cheese over guava paste slices (optional)
  6. Top with second puff pastry sheet and cut into desired pastry size. I cut mine in 2 inch squares.
  7. Beat egg in a small bowl and brush over the top of the pastries. Sprinkle with cane sugar.
  8. Bake at 400 degrees F for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool and serve.
- See more at: http://afewshortcuts.com/2013/07/easy-guava-pastries-recipe/#sthash.nKPDe7Sy.dpuf
Ingredients
  • 1 Package of Puff Pastry
  • 1 Package of Guava Paste
  • 1 package of Cream Cheese (optional)
  • 1 Egg & Cane Sugar
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 400 Degrees F
  2. Thaw Puff pastry according to package directions.
  3. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and unfold one of the pastry sheets and place on pan.
  4. Slice guava into ¼ inch slices and place evenly on the pastry sheet.
  5. Spread cream cheese over guava paste slices (optional)
  6. Top with second puff pastry sheet and cut into desired pastry size. I cut mine in 2 inch squares.
  7. Beat egg in a small bowl and brush over the top of the pastries. Sprinkle with cane sugar.
  8. Bake at 400 degrees F for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool and serve.
- See more at: http://afewshortcuts.com/2013/07/easy-guava-pastries-recipe/#sthash.nKPDe7Sy.dpuf

32 comments:

~ Nee ~ said...

Hi Elisabeth ,
Yes my friend , I and all your blogging foodies have missed you . We worry and we care . I understand about taking a step back , my family lost our dear Maxy last Friday , the one sitting in the grass on his butt grinning a welcome to everyone is the one my family love the best .
It's good to take a step back and enjoy the good memories , because my dear they ... far outweigh the bad ones . ;-D
This pastry looks deliciously good , have to try it real soon . Pinning it .
Welcome back Elisabeth ....~Nee~

Emma said...

I was wondering where you were but I figured you had some real life stuff happening and were hopefully sorting it out. You've had a rough couple of years Elisabeth and I totally agree sometimes you just need take stock.

Your pastry looks amazing - I've never seen that fruit paste but it looks so incredibly full of flavour and sticky (almost like jam), I can just imagine it with the crisp pastry.

Great to have you back :)

http://www.asplashofvanilla.com/

Patty Magyar said...

Lol...I knew you were out there cooking up something yummy!

Angie Schneider said...

You have been terribly missed, Elisabeth. I hope you feel better and motivated now.
As a kid I ate lots of guava, but the paste is new to me. These pastries look so inviting.
GLAD to see you back, Elisabeth.
Have a peaceful and nice Sunday!
Angie

Rafeeda AR said...

this looks so gooey!!! yummm....

Kati said...

Hú, de guszta, nem is hallottam még erről a gyümölcsről. Hogy telik a nyarad Elisabeth? Puszi :)

Veronica's Kitchen said...

Hi Elisabeth, glad to have you back! I love guava but the one in Australia is not that good. These pastries are just divine! It has been 4 yrs of blogging for me as well, there are many time I want to stop but blogging really helps me to get attention away from some of the things I don't want to worry and it keeps me to think positive. Looking forward for many great posts from you!

Phong Hong said...

Hi Elisabeth! Nice to have you back! I see that you have the pink variety of guava there while I have never seen a pink one over here. I like eating guava, the green one when it is still crunchy. I have not come across guava paste but I am sure your guava pastry is simply delicious! Half a year has gone by already and let's hope for the best and look forwards to better times and a better 2015. No harm looking ahead and planning to make wishes come true! Well, when your children and grandchildren come home from their vacation, you will be your usual happy self again! And oh, don't worry about not commenting on my posts. I totally understand!

Priya Suresh said...

Guava is one of my favourite fruit, back home we have a guava tree, am missing it here.. pastries looks absolutely incredible.

Amelia said...

Hello my dear Elisabeth, I sure MISSED YOU! Was worry of your sudden MIA. But I'm so glad to see you back in action. Yes, once in a while we need to hibernate ourselves to take a break and recharge ourselves. :))

That puff pastry with guava paste look like to die for kind. Look so delightful. The guava paste look interesting too. We don't have guava paste in my territory. :(

Have a lovely day. With lots of love and hugs to you. Take care!

Ivy Sew said...

Hi Elisabeth, glad that you are back and doing fine. Of course we missed you. Honestly speaking all of us do have busy or moody days when we don't wish to do anything or even blog. So, it's perfectly ok as I am too, at times very busy and hardly go blogwalking or update my blog. So, don't worry of returning comments to me as I do understand everyone has their time-table to manage.
The guava fruit pic is so beautiful and tempting. Your Cuban Guava Pastries look so good and irresistible. Great for tea time. You have a wonderful day and take care :)

mangiabella said...

looks amazing my beautiful friend, thinking of you so often xoxo

Elisabeth Foodandthrift said...

Hi Nee...thank you for your kind and caring concern. I also have missed you, and all my blogger friends.!
I'm sorry for your loss. Maxy was such a sweet member of your family and will surely be missed!

Elisabeth Foodandthrift said...

Emma, thank you for your sweet words...I did have some issues to sort out, and always work things out after a short period of time...(so far)
Guava paste is totally natural, and amazingly very inexpensive. When heated, it melts into an amazing oooey-gooey, jam-like texture. It really does go well in the crispy light pastry!

Elisabeth Foodandthrift said...

Patty, No matter how tough things get...I'm always cooking up something yummy...just not photographing it!

Elisabeth Foodandthrift said...

Angie, I'm so touched by your sincere and sweet words...I missed you, as well.This is the first time in 4 years that I have stayed away this long...and it almost feels like I'm starting over. Even when I stayed away before for a couple weeks, I still commented on blogs; this time I just stayed away completely. Glad to be back...and thank you for your kind words, and caring!

Elisabeth Foodandthrift said...

Thank you, Rafeeda!

Elisabeth Foodandthrift said...

Kati, ez egy kimondott tropikus gyümölcs, amit csak mostanában kezdtem meg szeretni. Nem is tudtam el képzelni hogy ennyire finom, és egészséges! Puszillak

Elisabeth Foodandthrift said...

Hi Veronica, Guava fruit grown in S. Florida is very rich, and has a wonderful sweet flavor...and is grown in abundance. It can be used in so many ways. You are so right about blogging...certainly gets your attention away from a lot of things...sometimes too much, but I do enjoy it, as well. Thank you for your sweet comment!

Elisabeth Foodandthrift said...

Hi Phong Hong, thank you for you sweet comment, I do feel more refreshed in mind and spirit now...ready to come back...visiting, and commenting on all the wonderful blogs...certainly have missed you and your blog; as well!
My family and sweet grandchildren are my 'life'...wouldn't want to be away from them long!

Elisabeth Foodandthrift said...

Priya, I did not think I would love guava, as much as I do. Super amazing fruit!

Elisabeth Foodandthrift said...

Hi my dear friend, Amanda. Sorry for the sudden MIA. Needed some time off to sort things out. Back in action, and will be visiting and commenting now!

The puff pastry is totally divine and goes so well with the guava paste!
Big hugs, and lots of love to you...and thank you for your kind and caring concern!

Elisabeth Foodandthrift said...

Hi Ivy Sew, I am certainly glad to be back, and have also missed you! Life throws us some curves that we have to work out sometimes... and need some 'private' time to figure things out. I will be visiting and commenting on your blog and others' now that I'm more active on the blog! I was very pleased that guava pastry is so easy to make and so super delicious!
Take care...hugs,

Elisabeth Foodandthrift said...

Thank you, sweet bella! Missed you, and I also think of you often. Have not been on facebook for a long time either...which will also get more active now! xoxo

Cathleen said...

This looks amazing! I would love to try this sometime!

Citra Kale said...

Those pastry look mouthwatering Liz... I miss guava fruits.. fresh one! :p Hardly to find here in Turkey.. Will try to find that guava paste here.. thx for sharing this :)

dentistvschef said...

Wow, damn delicious, i had only once try guava in dessert; guava upside down cake..
this pastry must be delicious, the photograph is truelly seducing me!!!

lena said...

hi elisabeth! hope you are feeling good and better now. I also find myself taking a lot of 'breaks' from blogging as of these recent months, sometimes just a bit tired and just want to stay away and do nothing . You know, i have made guava paste long long time ago cos the ready ones are not available here but the ones that i made came out to be sort of pale colour, i believe due to the different variety of guava that i was using and the ones that i made was overly sweet :D Have a good week !

Liz Berg said...

Oh, I'd never forget about you and your blog, my friend!!! It's so good to see a post from you...I hope the break gave you the perspective you needed. I love the simplicity of these pastries...and I may have to test them out myself as I'm not sure I know what guava paste tastes like. I bet I'd like it!!! xoxo

Kathy said...

Elizabeth…I’m so glad you are posting again! I always look forward to your latest posts, my friend! We have been away for the last 2 weeks. That’s why I did not see this post until today! I love your recipe…they look so wonderfully delicious! Perfect to enjoy with a cup of tea or coffee. I love guava paste and even have some in my pantry. Happy weekend! Hugs!

Elisabeth Foodandthrift said...

Hi Lizzy, Guava paste in its (pasty form) has a very similar taste to jelled cranberry sauce...only a little sweeter. When it is melted in the pastry dough; it has an ooey-gooey jam texture, with the most amazing natural sweetness similar to sweetened cranberry sauce; but it is a natural sweet flavor without added sugar!
Thank you for your sweet comment!
xoxo

Elisabeth Foodandthrift said...

Thank you; Cathleen, Citra, DentistChef, and Lena for your sweet comments, and I do apologize to all of you for not visiting and commenting for the last several weeks! (totally dropped out from all social media...except for Pinterest)
Hugs,
Elisabeth