Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Linzer Cookies...and White Christmas Recipe Challenge


I am such a procrastinator...always the last one to join an event, unless someone is pushing me to do so! I did join the Very Good Recipes, as you can see the badge on my sidebar, and I do love this group, and to think that I didn't have to do a thing, just to sign up and they do all the work for you, to feature your blog with your latest posts automatically linked into your own page...now how hard awesome is that!? I'm also entering in this fun event with the Very Good Recipes White Christmas Challenge

Just click on, to see what the challenge is about, and check out the fabulous judges, including my dear friend Veronica, from Quay Po Cooks!

 linking to: Full Plate Thursday, 12-22-2011 @ Miz Helen's Country Cottage
                  Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop 15 @ Katherines Corner

There's so many different versions of these lovely Viennese cookies that each country calls it their own, but it was actually originated during the 19th century
what was then, the famous well know Austria-Hungary empire! So, there you have the short history on these delicate buttery sandwich cookies...filled with apricot and various other fruit jams.
As a child, I have fond memories of these Linzer cookies, and I don't have my mom's or my aunt's recipes...only just remembering how it was made, so I adapted my version, from a trusted source!



Linzer Cookies

adapted from, Joy of Baking

1 cup (110 grams) blanched sliced almonds
1/4 cup (50 grams)

1 cup (227 grams)  (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temp.
2/3 cup (135 grams) granulated white sugar, divided
2 large egg yolks
2 cups (220grams) all purpose flour
14 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Zest of 1 lemon

Confectioners' icing sugar, for dusting
choice of jams; raspberry (seedless preferred) blackberry
I used organic apricot, and organic blueberry, but you can use
choice of your own, even Nutella, which is great for chocolate lovers,
recipe, continued...



For the almonds:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. (177 degrees C) and rack in the center of the oven. Place almond on a baking sheet and bake for about 8-10 min. until light brown and fragrant. In a food processor, process with sugar, until finely ground.


For the dough:
In a separate bowl, stir your dry ingredients.


In a bowl of your electric mixer, or large bowl, with a hand mixer, beat the butter, and the 2/3 cup sugar, until creamy, and fluffy, beat in the vanilla extract, the egg yolks, and lemon zest. Add the flour mixture beating, just until incorporated. Divide the dough into two rectangular shapes, and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate until firm, at least one hour, or overnight. Remove dough from the refrigerator, and on a lightly floured board, or surface, roll the dough, until it's about 1/4 inch (1cm) thick.











Cut our shapes with a cookie cutter; circle, heart, star, square, or any other shapes you like, making sure to cut a hole in the center (cutter not shown), to let the jam show through!






Cut the shapes, making sure that every-other is cut with a smaller cutter in the center, to make it ready to sandwich the cookies.












Slide the cookies with a spatula (very important, so they stay in shape) on a parchment lined baking sheet, and bake in a 350 degrees, (177C) oven for 8-10 min. until lightly browned. Remove from the oven, to cool.











Re-roll scraps of dough to cut out more cookies, and bake to make more. When they are finished, and cooled on a rack, on the bottom half, spread a small amount of jam, and place cookie with hole, which you already have sprinkled with confectioners' sugar, lightly place on top.
(do not put too much jam on the bottom of the cookies, or it will ooze out when you sandwich it)








Now, I have to run to make Latkes, with my daughter Lora, (Cake Duchess) for Hanukkah...which begins at sundown tonight!
Happy, Hanukkah, to all my Jewish friends, non Jewish friends, as well... and those who celebrate this festive event with extended families, and friends!
Big hugs!

Enhanced by Zemanta

44 comments:

Petra said...

Nagyon szépek lettek a linzereid! :)

Gizi said...

Csodálatosak a linzerek, és a tálalás azon a szépséges tányéron nagyon tetszik.:)

Priya said...

Woww linzer cookies looks absolutely incredible and gorgeous..

Csilla said...

Gyönyörűek lettek a linzerek, és a tányér is nagyon szép, nagyon tetszik! :)

Swathi said...

Delicious cookies, perfect for Christmas.

laurie said...

I think they look so pretty, one of my favorite cookies to make and eat!Yours look lovely,, beautiful memories,

Becky said...

These cookies are gorgeous and you nailed the White Christmas Challenge. Have a Merry Christmas with your family.

wendyweekendgourmet said...

These are so pretty, Elisabeth!! I love linzer cookies with their bright fruity filling and buttery cookies!!

Mari @ Mari's Cakes said...

Elisabeth, they look wonderful. I love linzer cookies. Have a wonderful holiday. Wish you many blessings.

Hugs

Rosita Vargas said...

OMG..hermosas galletas y muy bien elaboradas,lucen absolutamente espectacular,abrazos y feliz navidad,muchas bendiciones.

ping said...

Oh wow!! These are gorgeous, Elisabeth! Love the plate too. Love the different colored jams ... love everything! Oooh, and that new kitten on your sidebar, sooo cute! Holiday hugs to you :D

Brooks at Cakewalker said...

Elisabeth, your Linzer Cookies are lovely and I admire the holiday plate you have them presented on too! Thank you for sharing the recipe. Happy Holidays to you and yours!

Amelia's De-ssert said...

Hi Elisabeth, wow... wow...lovely Linzer cookies.
Wish I can have a bite now cos it looks so tempting. Beautiful presentation too.
Have a nice day *hugs*

Christine's Pantry said...

Beautiful cookies. Merry Christmas.

wanna said...

Gyönyörű virágok! Érzem az illatukat!

Citromhab said...

Nagyon szépek, imádom ezt a sütit!
Az idei még nem készült el, de holnap én is nekilátok egy komolyabb adagnak:-)

Junia said...

elizabeth, these are beautiful!!! i've seen linzer cookies at bakeries before! did you link up to my #cookielove bloghop? you must so that others can find this recipe! (http://juniakk.blogspot.com/2011/12/cookie-bloghop-sunbutter-cookie-gf.html)

Jill | Dulce Dough said...

What beautiful cookies Elizabeth! Love the plate too! I need to get a pretty cookie cutter like yours so I can make Linzer cookies. I tend procrastinate as well--in fact, I entered the White Christmas challenge after you!

Cajunlicious said...

Your cookies look wonderful and they are so beautiful! Happy Holidays!

Krisztina konyhája said...

Gyönyörűek lettek, már nekem is két adag a hűtőben pihen :)

Kathy said...

Elizabeth, Such beautiful cookies! I love the way they look...just so christmasy! Happy Hanukkah!! And a blessed and joyful Christmas, my blogging buddy, to you and your entire family!

Steph said...

Linzer cookies are the best because they're packed with all that jam. These look so gorgeous!

Dima's Kitchen said...

The jam filled cookies remind me of growing up too, we used to always have them whenever out with mum to friends houses:) your cookies look mouthwatering, love the icing sugar touch! Would love to dip them in creamy coffee and have the whole bunch!! Good job...

Quay Po Cooks said...

Elisabeth, first I am so grateful for your support in joining the challenge. These cookies look amazing! Wish you win! Merry Christmas to you and your family. BIG BEAR HUGS!!

Angie's Recipes said...

I love baking linzer cookies...they are just so adroable that sometimes I didn't want to finish them off.

Beth said...

Beautiful cookies! Happy holidays to you, too!

Lizzy said...

Such beautiful cookies, Lizzie! And PERFECT for the White Christmas challenge! I know there will be lots on excitement in the air when all your family gathers for the holidays...enjoy every second, my friend! I'm blessed to have you as a friend!!! xo

Katherines Corner said...

These cookies always remind me of Christmas. Thank you for joining in the hop today xo and Merry Chrstmas

Veronica's Kitchen said...

Very pretty cookies and thanks for telling me the origin and the real name of them as I only called them jam filled cookies (what a plain name that is) Have a wonderful Christmas and NY! xo

Yona said...

I love cookies like these - they are so pretty. Apricot is my favorite flavor.

Stopping by from Favorite Things Thursday.
http://artpark78.com/blog1/my-favorite-savings-and-deals-of-the-year/

the Junkie book said...

HAPPY HANUKKAH (BELATED!) AND MERRY MERRY CHRISTMAS DEAR ELISABETH.

am running out of time for Christmas festivities. quickly dropped by for a wish. page taking long to load and haven even seen the Linzer cookies!!!

will meet you here after Christmas!!!

Loveforfood said...

these cookies are superb. i just love to have it. Merry Christmas!

Reem | Simply Reem said...

Beautiful looking cookies...
I can bet they taste divine...

Happy Holidays.

Jane said...

Mmmm, these look almost too pretty to eat, but I bet they are delicious! I am one of your newest followers :)

Citromhab said...

Elisabeth, szeretnék neked írni, de nem találom az oldaladon az e-mail címet.

Katerina said...

The cookies look very professional Elizabeth! I would like to wish to you Merry Christmas along with your family

Gizi said...

Kedves Elizabeth!
Meghitt, Békés Karácsonyi Ünnepeket Kívánok Neked és Kedves Családodnak!!

Miz Helen said...

Hi Elizabeth,
What beautiful Linzer Cookies, made with such love and special care. They just look delicious. You have such a wonderful talent that you share with us. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday. I am wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas!
Come Back Soon,
Miz Helen

Gesztenye receptjei és Bonbon mánia said...

Nagyon szép, békés, meghitt áldott karácsonyi ünnepeket kívánok sok szeretettel:-))

Buttercream Blondie said...

Beautiful cookies Elisabeth! You've planted a seed in my head to fill linzer cookies with nutella next time I make them!! I hope you and your family have a wonderful holiday!! :)

Rosita Vargas said...

No puedo dejar de admirar sus bellas galletas,volví para desearle una feliz navidad junto a su familia y tenerla más cerca,abrazos y abrazos.

Quay Po Cooks said...

Elisabeth, Remember I said, if any entries submitted to the White Christmas Challenge through Quay Po Cooks wins a prize at VGR, they will get an extra price from me which is my son's band, ROSEVELT's first Album named 17:25? Well, the result is not out yet but to me, whoever have given me the support is a winner in my heart already. May I have your address so that I can mail the CD to you? My email is quaypocooks@gmail.com

Julie Gallaher said...

Hi Elisabeth! I found some perfect Holiday content in your site that needs a wider audience. I'm a publisher of Learn your Christmas Carols blog with 25,000 visitors. This year I will include links on Christmas crafts, Christmas decorations and Christmas recipes. Now, Is there any content you would like to contribute with me? The only requirement is the link back in your side bar or footer. If you are interested email me at juliegallaher@gmail.com or tweet me at http://twitter.com/juliegallaher
Thank you! I am looking forward working each other.

marisz57 said...

Nagyon szépek lettek a sütikéid! És örülök, hogy ismét blogolsz, ez azt jelenti, hogy szépen gyógyulsz. Csak így tovább! :)