Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Spicy Thai Squid (Calamari) Salad

When it comes to being sick, I'm the worst person that I know, and even; the worst "patient" that I know! My family can't stand to be around me, I'm so grouchy, irritable, and miserable! Yes, it's all true!...sad to say, but it is!
Last Sunday, the day of my previous post with my simple but yummy almond cookies, I had the craving for something spicy, light, and healthy. I could have easily ordered a take-out fresh squid salad and perhaps some Pad Thai pasta from our local Thai restaurant that has been around for years, but oh no! I had a better idea...I will make my own Squid Salad!
When you are sick with a horrible flu that came back again...to smack you over the head with even a harder blow, and give you a humongous headache, and have every bone in your body aching, even the hair strands on the top of your head aching, the last thing you want to do is to defrost a 2 pound bag of frozen baby squid, clean them and cut them...cook them, and make yourself the most delicious squid salad you ever had in your life...well, THAT'S ALL WORTH IT!
Our local seafood markets are usually closed on Sunday, but knowing that our beloved favorite Publix supermarket carries everything, and has the best seafood department as well, I decided to shop for my squid salad ingredients...everything fresh! Unfortunately they only sell squid frozen in a 2 pound package, which was fine with me. Paying $14.99 for 2 lbs of Calamari, even if frozen, is still better than ordering a squid (calamari) salad which is barely enough for 2 and paying $13.99 for it and get aggravated because they put the dressing on it in advance and the salad gets wilted by swimming in the dressing...I do love the

Thai spicy dressing...although, not overpowering my salad! I already had some fresh veggies from Whole Foods, and the organic fresh ginger, so I was all set for my project...sick-and-all, just eagerly wanting to eat fresh spicy squid salad! All I needed, was a little creativity, which I still had the "spark"...and a beautiful salad was created...I felt a whole lot better after that, and since then!

Linking to: Full Plate Thursday @ Miz Helen's Country Cottage
                Thursday Favorite Thing Blog Hop @ Katherines Corner


Spicy Thai Squid (Calamari) Salad
my own creation

1 lb. cleaned squid
1 bunch of loosely packed fresh mint
1 bunch of loosely packed fresh cilantro
1 bunch scallion, cleaned, and sliced diagonal into
about 2 inch pieces
2 medium carrots cleaned, and shredded
about 5 thin slices of peeled, fresh sliced  ginger
1 lime cut into quarters
1 bag of ready cut, pre-washed mixed salad

For the Dressing:

1/4 cup Asian Fish Sauce
1/4 cup Thai Style Chili Sauce
juice of 1 lime
2 teaspoons rice vinegar
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper

If you can't find 1 lb. squid, you will have to get the 2 lb. frozen package, and cut open, empty, and will have to defrost the entire thing in cold running water (don't worry, you will be using up the entire thing)










A bit of a job, but so well worth it. After squid has defrosted, clean the entire inside body, by pulling out the little plastic part that is inside, and dispose of it. Also, save the tentacles, try not to rip them...leaving it intact.
Slice the squid across, into little rings,drop them all in a medium pot of boiling water, bring to boil...do not boil for more than about 1 or 2 minutes, or it will get rubbery!

Strain in a colander with cold water, and clean the little white particles from them. Set aside, and continue with the salad.


Very important: you have to set up your "mi sen plaz"...all your ingredients in a row, just like this. Your grated carrots, your chopped cilantro, the sliced scallions, I added with some fresh chopped mint, your dressing, combining them with the fresh ginger slices, and of course your cut limes.







This is the Thai Style Chili Sauce I used, along with the Thai Seasoned Fish Sauce.












At this point, you can just enjoy your salad without the lettuce, just with the mentioned ingredients.

You can individually set up your own salad by using the ingredients, including the dressing, and stretch it even further with the healthy delicious salad.










By adding the lettuce a little more dressing to toss, you have a full meal...so satisfying, healthy and delicious.
Points value: 4









BTW- I spent about $36.00 which seemed expensive, but not, when this generously served 4. The leftovers were separately saved for appetizer to share with family, the next day! I still have plenty of vegetables leftover, and the sauces as well!
Incidentally, I have lost an additional pound...so now, I'm down 15 lbs. total since I started back in the first week of January of this year!

Enhanced by Zemanta

41 comments:

Erika said...

yummy:)

Angie's Recipes said...

I have never had a squid salad, let alone making one. This looks so vibrant and delicious!

Kati said...

Nem nagyon szeretem a tintahalat, de ez a saláta olyan szép tavaszias, színes, lehet így megkóstólnám:)

marisz57 said...

Tintahalat még nem ettem, de nem lehet rossz, főleg ezzel a sok zöldfűszerrel és zöldséggel!

Patty said...

It looks beautiful but I could not manage that with the flu...I guess chicken soup doesn't work for you?
Lol...

Suchi said...

I am glad you made it and did not do take-out. We got to see and read the recipe. The salad looks yummy...love the dressing you made and congratulations on your weight loss...:-) Love your first two photos :-)

Lizzy said...

I admire that you made this when you were still ill!!!! That's determination! And it looks fabulous...I just love these flavors. Congrats on reaching a 15 pound weight loss...that is truly the payoff of lots of hard work and will power. I'm so very happy for you, my sweet friend!!!! xo

wanna said...

Hát Elisabeth, ez gyönyörű! Friss, színes, étvágygerjesztő.
Nagyon szeretem a thai ételeket, a halakat, a chilit. Thai chiliszószt magam szoktam készíteni, egy thai hölgy receptje alapján, egyszerűen csodás! Rajta van a blogomon, ha érdekel :)

Swathi Iyer said...

I won't eat squid, but this salad looks delicious. Elisabeth. Hope you getting better now. Yes it is difficult being sick.

laurie said...

ooooo, thats yummy! looks pretty too!

Kelly | Eat Yourself Skinny said...

What a gorgeous salad, this looks so delicious! :)

Teena Mary said...

wow....pretty & healthy salad!! Loved it :)

wendyweekendgourmet said...

This is so colorful and pretty! I'm not a huge calamari fan...think I could sub in some chopped shrimp instead?

Chic & Gorgeous Treats said...

I love Thai style dishes, there's always that tang, saltiness and some heat too. Lovely combo Elisabeth! Now I wonder if my mom has any squid in the fridge. Cause I certainly have salad.. perhaps I might substitute it with chicken, but it wouldn't be the same. Lovely recipe!! Hugss..

Pegasuslegend said...

Man that bug is going around here too! Glad your better! The salad is fabulous I just love it! take care no more relapses!~

Mari said...

Elisabeth, I am in love with this salad! It looks wonderful, so colorful and I am sure its full of flavor :)

Hugs

Emma said...

Elisabeth your photos are so lovely and colourful! Not to mention this classy dish, I love every single ingredient in it, we love our Thai food and seafood here in Australia.

I too am a horrible patient, most nurses are sadly ;)

Kiri W. said...

Beautiful - I adore squid, and this sounds like a wonderful way to enjoy it :) Thanks for sharing!

Jane said...

Congratulations on losing 15 pounds - your hard work has definitely paid off!! This salad looks beautiful, I doubt any seafood I could get my hands on up here on the prairies would rival what you have access to, so I will just admire & drool from afar... :D I really LOVE the vintage packaging.

Becky said...

Your salad is gorgeous and so colorful, as well as healthy! Glad that you are feeling better and made the salad:) Congratulations on your continued weight loss! Way to go!

ping said...

Poor you. Double the amount of chillies here and it'll clear your sinuses out for sure. Besides, chillies have a great amount of vitamins to get rid of the flu :) ... not kidding.
This is a gorgeous salad, Elisabeth. Just looking at it will make anyone feel better.
Hope you recover soon. Hugs!

Pacheco Patty said...

I'm loving all the colors and the healthy feeling I get just looking at your salad, I could eat this way everyday and probably would feel great! Hope your week is going well, take care;-)

mangiabella said...

look at these colors....the photos are fantastic...it's almost 10pm and all I can think about is THIS salad!!! oh bella I'm still catching up on emails but have been praying for you ever since I learned of your sickness....praying for you to every day!!! I am so proud of you....15 lbs!!

The Harried Cook said...

What a fresh, colorful, flavorful, amazing dish this is Elisabeth! I would love a plate of it right now! I love it... I hope you are feeling back to normal now, in terms of your health! And great job with all the weight loss! You are an amazing woman.. Big hugs to you!

Katalin said...

Elisabeth, ez gyönyörű, csodás színű!!! Ettől már biztos meggyógyulsz.
Tintahalat még én sem ettem, biztos finom lehet.

Rashida shaikh said...

Hey, this looks beautiful with the vibrant colours.
Please stay healthy, do rest.

Lacy @ NYCityEats said...

First of all this plate is GORGEOUS! All those bright colors just pop in these pictures. It looks absolutely fantastic! I'm a big fan of calamari salads and this one sounds better than most I've had! Love the spicy dressing! Yum!!

Lyndsey said...

Elisabeth, so you are like my husband is when you get sick?!! Hope you are feeling better! I have never cooked with squid before...it's good to know I can get it at Publix if I want to try to make this. So funny I made a slamon rice salad I almost made it with Thai flavors similar to this, but went in another direction. Your photos are looking good!

Take care,
Lyndsey

Carmen Anderson said...

This salad would definitely cheer up those who feel under the weather. It looks so colorful and healthy. My husband would love it any day, he loves spicy salad!I m a little sensitive to spices, but i love calamari! so I might have to skip the chilli sauce! Great easy recipe! Thanks :)

Gizi said...

Elisabeth, gyönyörűséges ez a saláta. Színpompás és eltudom képzelni milyen nagyon finom. Imádom a tintahalat, de én még soha nem készítettem. A Horvátországi barátnőm viszont olyan finoman tudja elkészíteni, hogy nem tudok betelni vele.
Minél előbbi gyógyulást kívánok, pihenjél sokat.

Elisabeth said...

Patty-with all the fresh vegetables, and spices, I felt a lot better afterwards. I'm up to my "eyeballs" with chicken soup...LOL

Elisabeth said...

Wendy-Chopped shrimp would work just as well, even scallops too!

Elisabeth said...

Köszönöm, Wanna, fel fogom keresni a finom Thai chii szósz receptedet a blogodon!

Amelia's De-ssert said...

Hi Elisabeth, how are you? Getting better?
Your squid salad look so delicious and appetizing. Very nice combo and lovely color.
Thanks for sharing this recipe, it looks really good.

Have a nice day and take care, my dear. *hugs*

Petra said...

Wow, fantaszikus ízek. :)))

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

Beautiful! We don't see enough squid recipe in the US and I miss eating this ingredient! I love your squid salad and it's nice Thai chili + fish sauce flavor... I can totally eat this as main dish! I use squid a lot for cooking and it's nice that I got another recipe that I need to try! Have a great weekend!

Miz Helen said...

Hi Elisabeth,
Thank you so much for sharing your great recipe with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you are having a great Spring week end and come back to see me real soon!
Miz Helen

Kathy said...

Your recipe looks delicious…it could possibly convert a squid hater like me! I don’t know why but, it’s one of the only seafoods I don't eat. Your salad looks so appetizing!

Anazar said...

This salad looks oh so yummy Elisabeth!!

Junia said...

the squid with the fresh greens sound delicious. hope you are feeling better!

Anonymous said...

A colleague referred me to this site. Thanks for the information.
Here is my blog post ... snapper fishing charters in melbourne