Monday, March 26, 2012

Vietnamese Chicken Noodle Soup

This is the last of my "cure for all" healthy, spicy, and super colorful dishes for my long lasting illness. Today is a new day, and the start of Spring...although in South Florida we have exceptional and gorgeous weather all year round. As I was browsing through the March issue of Family Circle, when I spotted this soup, knowing that I have all the ingredients, and I do love spicy, I said "this one is for me!"
If you love fresh herbs, this is a "must" soup for you to try! Fresh mint, and fresh cilantro, not only adorn the beauty of the amazing soup, but the refreshing and spicy flavor will blow you away!

Vietnamese Chicken Noodle Soup
from Family Circle magazine; March 2012 

2 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) reduced sodium chicken broth
1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
1 cup shredded carrots, (I used matchstick cut sizes)
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh ginger
2 scallions, thinly sliced
1 red hot pepper seeded, and thinly sliced (optional)
1 Tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 Tablespoon lime juice
2 teaspoons Asian hot sauce (such as Sriracha)
6 ounces rice noodles (such as Thai Kitchen Stir-Fry Rice Noodles)
1/4 cup mint leaves
1/4 cup cilantro leaves

In a large pot, bring chicken broth and 1 1/2 cups water to a boil. Add chicken, and simmer for 3 minutes. Add carrots, snow peas, and ginger; simmer 3 minutes.

Stir in scallion, soy sauce, lime juice and hot sauce.

Meanwhile, boil rice noodles for 6 minutes. Drain.

Divide cooked noodles among four bowls. Spoon an equal amount of soup into each bowl of noodles. Scatter mint and cilantro over each dish and serve immediately.
Points value: 10


Here's a little history of the Peanut Island.

I have never been to Peanut Island after living here in S. Florida, I'm practically a native Floridian. I'm not crazy about going on small boats, but today was such a beautiful calm day, that I was actually looking forward to this fun adventure!

Just look at this "beauty!"...a boat, leaving from the weekend boat show...lots more boats leaving from the weekend boat show!
More boats either leaving, or approaching Peanut Island!
These boats are from the boat show over the weekend!
More boats from the boat show!
The little boat properly anchored...finally reached Peanut Island!
Entrance to the Peanut Island Park.
Beautiful, and serene view at the Peanut Island Park.
Gorgeous Nature Park, at Peanut Island!
Interesting Tiki Hut boat.
 A little snack bar on the water.
The route goes in a circle, at the Peanut Island Park. Totally spectacular scene!
This is PARADISE...seriously, you feel like you are in the Caribbean Islands.
 Here's what the island looks like...79 miles of beautiful nature!
Lots of picnic areas, with grills to cook-out.
Beautiful crystal clear waters on Peanut Island.
One spectacular scene...after the other.
You can have a picnic under this well built Tiki Hut, providing such amazing shade.
Luxury Cruise ships parked on Peanut Island.
This is not Peanut Island...this is the sunset from the third floor balcony from my condo unit, looking across the way, on the Intracoastal...I finally got the best shot...ever, with the beautiful sunset coloring the entire sky!


Enhanced by Zemanta

44 comments:

Zsuzsa said...

Elisabeth that looks like one delicious soup!

Inessa said...

I love, love soups...
This looks very delicious, beautiful pictures.

Emma said...

I think you've outdone yourself Elisabeth, this looks so fresh, colourful and lovely, I could literally dive right in.

As for the other photos, they're absolutely stunning. That sky is so blue it's ridiculous. I'm pretty sure I've said this before but Florida looks so similar to Queensland, the state I live in.

Suchi said...

Awesome...I love Vietnamese food and this looks way too tempting...feel like heading to the nearest Vietnamese restaurant right now...I think these are the soups which they call Pho...

Suchi said...

Love the photos of your trip...an island called Peanut...how cute...:-)

Amelia said...

Hi Elisabeth, thank you for sharing your tour with us. All the pictures are so well taken, very beautiful and gorgeous and I'm loving it.

Hey, you look good in your green T-shirt, very nice. Congrat on your 15Ibs weight lost. Keep up the good work, my dear.

What a cute name Peanut Island, LOL but the place is amazing and beautiful. I love the tiki hut, so nice to relax under the shade.
The dude aka captain look handsome too. LOL

I like your noodle soup, so tempting and appetizing. Lovely color and choke full of ingredients. Yum yum

Have a nice day and take care, my dear.

Una Semplice Passione said...

Ciao Elisabeth that looks really healthy and exactly what I am craving for at the moment. Surely something I would like to make one of these days!

Jane said...

Hi Elisabeth, Thanks for sharing this very beautiful scenery - I'm feeling warmer already :) Looks like you had an amazing day. I'd love to live in one of the houses across the water from those girls sunning themselves on the rocks... !!

This soup looks seriously amazing - as you know, I love colourful food. I will check on my parcel again today - couldn't get there yesterday, but as of Friday it hasn't arrived. It's coming a long ways, so I'm not surprised :) I'll let you know.

Loveforfood said...

Love your photos and delicious looking foods

Katalin said...

Csodálatos a levesed, finom pikáns lehet.
A floridai táj gyönyörű, jó lehet most a pálmafák alatt sétálni :)

My Home Diary in Turkey said...

I envy your beautiful trip Elisabeth !! what a great destination to visit..and nice shoots too :)
and no more comment on your noodle soup..U know my taste on Asian food :P *drolling... :p

Cathleen said...

All your food looks delicious!
Happily following your blog :)

Patty said...

Elisabeth...I can't remember what I said...I think I said lovely photos and that I wanted to make this soup...I think!!

Katerina said...

These are beautiful pictures Elizabeth and the soup looks gorgeous. I am keeping it for the colder days of winter!

trollanyu said...

Szívesen költöznék Floridába, mindig csodás az idő:) Örülök, hogy már jobban érzed magad. A levesed abszolút nyerő nálam, imádom az ázsiai, csípős ízeket. Gyönyörűek a képek a kirándulásról, csupa szikrázó napsütés mindenütt.

Pacheco Patty said...

I love fresh herbs so I know this is a soup for me! Your top photo is gorgeous and the soup looks so colorful and healthy!
Hope you're having a great week and thanks for sharing your photos;-)

the Junkie book said...

Wow Elisabeth, this is enviable! Comfort food and picture perfect shots! I wish I had the soup here; would've been a better bet watching your shots ;p

Bravo, the sunset; it never fails to inspire!

Kati said...

A levesed is igazi tavaszi leves, és a képek... hát én is csak oda kívánkoznék:)

lena said...

hi elisabeth, i love noodles in soup but i hvnot tried vietnamese chicken noodles , only had the vietnamese beef noodles in restaurant. Yours look really inviting and the so colourful! peanut island..such a cute name! beautiful surroundings and the pic of the sunset is looking awesome!

Tracy Iseminger said...

Looks amazing! I'd like to nominate you for the Liebster Blog Award, check out my blog for details! Keep up the good work, I love all that you do ;)

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

Hi Elisabeth - so sorry to hear you have been ill for such a long time. I hope you are feeling much better. Thanks for sharing the Vietnamese noodle soup recipe! This noodle soup looks fantastic. I go to eat Pho at my favorite Vietnamese noodle shop at least once a week or once every 2 weeks! It's very light and comfort food for me. You really live in nice and warm beautiful place. SF is supposed to be but right now it's cold and rainy and gloomy everyday! I'm so ready for Florida-like weather! =)

megcjones said...

this is just gorgeous! love these beautiful colors and i imagine it tastes as good as it looks. hope this soup helps you on your way to recovery!

Junia said...

ahhhh i love the flavors in this soup! reminds me of pho! hope you enjoy the beautiful weather :)

wanna said...

Csodás a leves, imádom! Gyönyörű helyek, szép fotók!

Michael Toa said...

Oh Elisabeth, that soup looks immensely delicious and flavourful! I do love refreshing Asian flavoured broth/soup with cilantro, mint and lime. Oh Yum!
Hope you are well. Take care.

Gizi said...

Kedves Elizabeth, nagyon örülök hogy jobban érzed magad. Csodálatos színekben pompázik ez a leves, és biztosan nagyon finom. Most itt ülök korgó gyomorral, és bizony szívesen bekanalaznám.
Csodálatosak, gyönyörű szépek a képek melyeket megosztottál velünk. Olyan jó volt végignézni, és egy kicsit már a nyárra gondolni (ha már nem lehetek személyesen ott azon a mesés szigeten). A naplemente gyönyörű szép, gratulálok a képhez.:)

Alaiyo Kiasi-Barnes said...

This is quite a handsome, fresh-looking soup. I love Vietnamese food, and you have shown me that it's possible to achieve a restaurant quality soup such as this one. Love the other photos as well.

Cheers!

mellissina2 said...

Elizabeth!
Remélem jól vagy már! A leves tökéletes,szerintem bármilyen gyógyszernél többet érhet.A képek csodásak,csak irigykedünk!Vigyázz Magadra!!!!

The Harried Cook said...

What a beautiful bowl of soup, Elisabeth! I love the colors and flavors and it looks absolutely delicious, light and fresh... Thanks for sharing this! :)

Vicuska said...

A leves kolorítása felülmúlhatatlan, pompás és finom!!!! köszönöm a szép fotókat a mesés helyről :)

marisz57 said...

A leves pompás! A fotók gyönyörűek, vidámak. Nekem mégis a naplementés tetszik legjobban.

ping said...

Ahhhh ... the perfect soup for the flu. So comforting ... with a beautiful sunset to boot.
What a cute name for an island. Does it have a peanut plantation? The island sure doesn't look like a shape of a peanut :)

Erika said...

Lovely colors and looks superhealthy!

Elisabeth said...

Ping-this island was supposed to be a terminal for shipping peanut oil-a failed attempt! The island became know as Peanut Island. Not such a size of a peanut, it actually is 20 miles long on a 79 acre!

Elisabeth said...

Köszönöm, Marisz! A képek pompásak, mert pompás idő volt, és gyönyörü sziget. Hétfőn alig volt egy pár nép a szigeten, de a hét végén mindig zsufolt.
A naplementét az erkélyemböl kaptam le hirtelen, mikor haza érkeztem...ez volt az első eset hogy igy le tudtam fényképezni!

Elisabeth said...

A leves egy fantasztikus gyógyszer volt, a sok herbával, és a csipős paprikával, meg a gyömbérrel. Köszönöm Vicuska!

Elisabeth said...

Erika, nyugodtam irhatsz magyarul...megértek, mindent, és válaszolni is tudok!

Elisabeth said...

Piroska, én legalább két hónapig beteg voltam, ez valami borzasztó. Még mai napig is köhögök, és semmi nem segit! Most meg az alergia szezon van itt! A leves egy kész gyógyszer volt...mindent meg ért!
Köszönöm a jó kivánságot!

Anazar said...

Nice! Looks oh-so-yummy, again!

Norma Chang said...

Lovely and delicious bowl of soup and so easy to put together.
Thanks for the tour of peanut island. Gorgeous photos, thnaks for sharing.

Kathy said...

Oh yum! This looks so wonderfully delicious! Love the sunset photo…beautiful!

Lyndsey said...

I can't believe i almost missed this one!! Your soup is beautiful I will pin it. Before I made Vietnamese pho I wanted to taste it the way it should be made first. So Maranda and I went to this tiny Vietnamese restaurant and I tried the Pho and she got the noodles with chicken. They were served in huge bowls and had an assortment of fresh toppings for it...just like yours. Yours might even be prettier :)

Your photos of Peanut Island are stunning...just like paradise for sure...and I absolutely love your sunset!!! We haven't taken the boat out much, not because of the weather as for the traffic! After Easter will be better.

Carmen Anderson said...

Hi Elisabeth,I really love your blog and I have learned so much from you! I am pleased to tell you that I have nominated you for the Happy Blogger Award (Your blog makes me very happy!) Please check out my latest post to receive your award! Have a great day! Carmen

mangiabella said...

oh i can't wait to "pin" this and try it too - i also love spicy and colorful :) - your photos are amazing and it making me dream of a getaway....peanut island looks like the perfect place to picnic....just beautiful!!!!!