Sunday, June 30, 2013

Lemon Curd

Nothing like homemade Lemon Curd that you so lovingly make...being careful not to let it burn or curdle because after all, you'll be wasting half a dozen egg yolks (save the whites for another use) some precious fresh butter, three lemons, a cup of sugar and all that time you've spent carefully whisking it to yummy perfection.
Don't boy store bought lemon curd because they never can compare to the luscious one you make at home. I love this even more than custard, which actually is, combined with fresh squeezed lemons and grated lemon zest.
Notice the cute wrought iron trivet...shaped like a teapot? A 'thrift find for $1.99; it even has a little hook so you can hang it...gave it to my daughter last year and it is so well made, sturdy, and beautifully glazed. I set the still hot lemon curd after I filled the mason jar that has been sanitized.

Now that its sealed with the lid I'm going to refrigerate it and fill a tart crust, or you can fill a pie crust, and top it with fresh raspberries...or, I could save it in the fridge to use it for another dessert, spread it on freshly baked biscuits. This would make a very special gift as well, for the holidays!


The recipe is found in Martha Stewart Cookbook...collected recipes for every day. This is a fantastic book where you will find your basic recipes at a moment's glance...another 'thrift find' for $2.99...also gave to my daughter.

Lemon Curd
adapted from Martha Stewart

6 egg yolks lightly beaten
1 cup sugar (caster-granulated)
Juice of 3 large lemons, about 3/4 cups
1/4 lb. (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into small
pieces.
1 Tablespoon. grated lemon zest

In a medium stainless steel pot, combine the
egg yolks, sugar, and lemon juice. With a wire
whisk, stir constantly for about 12-15 minutes
until mixture thickens, and coats the back of a spoon. Do not allow the mixture to boil. 

Remove from heat and strain the mixture through a mesh sieve into a medium bowl, to make sure that it is completely smooth without any lumps.Stir in the butter, a few pieces at a time and fold in the lemon zest. While still warm pour the mixture into a sterilized jar, and cover tightly. Refrigerate until ready to use. 
Yields 1 1/2 cups.





28 comments:

Swathi Iyer said...

Elisabeth, you are right, home made lemon curd is best, I love it, I made for my macron. I too find few goodies from the good will stores.

Torviewtoronto said...

wonderfully done I have made the egg custard for tiramisu before but haven't added lemon looks wonderful

Böbe said...

Nagyon szeretem! De még nem készítettem házilag. Már éppen itt az ideje:))

Angie Schneider said...

I would love to enjoy this lemon curd directly from the jar!
Have a great week ahead, Elisabeth!

Angie

Man Ridwan said...

agreed,homemade is always better, I just made lemon ginger curd the other day,still have some on the fridge for other recipes, love the color,fresh and yummy :)

Gourmet Getaways said...

I love homemade lemon curd, it is one of those unbelievably good flavours. Gorgeous pics too :)

Anita at Hungry Couple said...

That looks so wonderful! I love fresh lemon curd.

Laurie said...

beautiful photos, we love lemon curd in this house, we even put it on biscuits!That trivet is really cute!

trollanyu said...

Gyönyörű képek Elisabeth:) Imádom, mint minden citromos dolgot, éppen ma fogok készíteni, mert sütni szeretnék vele. Sajnos képes vagyok egymagam befalni, csak úgy kanállal, nagyon finom:)

Gizi said...

Kedves Elisabeth! Nagyon finom lehet ez a lemon curd!!! Túróval még soha nem készítettem, így köszönöm neked ezt a remek receptet. El is mentem, és én is megcsinálom. Csodaszép fotókat készítettél, és nagyon tetszik a kis három lábú teáskanna formájú állványod. Puszillak

Judit + Corina @WineDineDaily said...

Kedves Elisabeth, nagyon finomnak és gyönyörűen néz ki ez a Lemon Curd! Nagyon jol jött a te recepted mert a Meyer citrom fa tele van és lesz megint sok citrumunk.
Love your new find and hope that you have a wonderful Summer:)
Puszilunk,
Judit és Corina

Priya Suresh said...

Nothing will beat the homemade lemond curd, you have done beautiful,have a wonderful summer.

Patty Magyar said...

It loos so beautiful!

Patty Magyar said...

I meant looks...sorry!

Paula said...

Love lemon curd. Yours looks perfect!

Elisabeth Foodandthrift said...

Judit, nagyon aranyos vagy, köszönöm hogy kommentáltál a blogomon. Sajnos nálunk nem terem a Meyer citrom ami nagyon hires, de van a Floridai, és a Sun Kist amit használtam.

Wishing you and Corina a wonderful summer, as well!
Hugs,

Liz Berg said...

Beautiful lemon curd! I may have to make this for holiday gifts this year...I'm certain it will get rave reviews!!! But till then, I need to whip up a batch and take a break from chocolate desserts. Bill loves lemon, too :)

Kathy said...

Oh how I love lemon curd! I have never made it though. We just made a dessert for FFwD that called for lemon curd. I had a jar in my pantry, so that’s what I used, however I would love to give this a try….it does look luscious, Elisabeth!
BTW, I follow you on bloglovin!

Sissi said...

Elisabeth, I love lemon curd. I have been making it for ages but a lighter version that I can indulge in as much as I want without putting on kilos ;-)

wanna said...

Ez tényleg nagyon jól néz ki, és jó a recept! Szépek a fotók!

Katherines Corner said...

this is one of my favorite things! xo

Carmen Anderson said...

Oh I love Lemon curd! And now I know how to make it! Thank you for sharing this!!!!

Paula @ Vintage Kitchen Notes said...

I think curds and pastry cream must always be made at home. If not you might even think they´re not an amazing thing. It looks perfect Elisabeth, and can´t wait to see what you make with it!

lena said...

oh, love lemon curd and i have also been doing it at home for several times!

Zsuzsa said...

I love your lemon curd - it has the most important ingredient --- love.

Amelia said...

Hi Elisabeth, love your delicious and silky smooth lemon curd. One of my favorite too, me too prefer homemade. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

Hugs to you.

Lyndsey Chapin said...

I love lemon curd and there is nothing better than making it yourself. I make it with the lemons from my tree, they are the lemonade kind real lemony not the meyers lemons. But they usually are not ready to use until December. I love your trivet and photos.. it looks incredible and so yellow and lemony. :)

Gesztenye receptjei és Bonbon mánia said...

Elizabeth!
Köszi a látogatást :-)
Én is úgy vagyok, mint Te, hogy benézek hozzád, de kommentet nem hagyok, inkább a Facebookon kommentelek.
Nagyon klassz a te recepted is, ki fogom próbálni :-)