Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Berry Galette

It truly summertime...unless you happen to live in Australia, or Argentina (for example)...then you can have your 'hot chocolate', your 'hearty' stews, and all the 'heart and soul' warming foods that are good for keeping the chills away. Anyway; even in South Florida, we're in the midst of the berry season for sure, and what better way to express the summer...than, to make all the light salads, and the berry and fruit based desserts.
Just this past Sunday, it was a beautiful and sunny morning...as I was reading the Sunday Palm Beach Post, sipping my coffee, I happen to notice in their Dash magazine, which we get once a month, and the Parade magazine every Sunday...either way, they both contribute seasonal recipes once a month!
With all the cookbooks, and I mean...tons of them at my daughter's house, plus my own, and all the recent cooking magazines, collected recipes...and the Internet...whewww...sheesh; it's so hard to decide on something, other than a recipe 'hitting you in the face'...at the spur of the moment!

(notice, how the first photo I took indoors with natural light...and the second, I 'staged it outside in the glorious sun light...well, not directly, but knowing in 2hrs the clouds will cover the skies, and the 'downpour' of rain will begin...non-stop. The swimming pool is practically overflowing, and the 'self cleaning vacuum for the pool 'konked out'...sigh!
All I can tell you that this is the best dough I have stumbled upon for fresh fruit based pies, tarts, or a
'free form' galette which is the easiest to make...it has the zest of 1 lemon, and also the juice of the same lemon, after you used the zest, and add the juice to the dough.

Berry Galette 

by: Dash


Ingredients

  • Juice and zest of ½ lemon (I used 1 whole)
  • 1⅓ cups plus 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour, divided (I used 1 1/2 cups)
  • ½ tsp kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
  • 1 stick (½ cup) plus 1 Tbsp unsalted butter, cut into small pieces (I used sea salt)
  • 2 Tbsp sugar, plus 1 tsp for sprinkling
  • 1 lb strawberries, hulled and halved
  • 1 heaping cup blueberries (about 6 oz)
  • 1 large egg white

    Directions

  • Combine lemon juice with enough ice water to make ¼ cup lemon water. In bowl of a food processor, mix 1⅓ cups flour, ½ tsp salt, and lemon zest until combined. Add 1 stick butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal with pea-sized bits. Drizzle in lemon water and pulse until dough just comes together.
  • Scrape dough onto a work surface, then press into a flat disk. Cover tightly with plastic wrap; refrigerate 30 minutes.
  • Preheat oven to 450˚F. In a large bowl, whisk remaining 2 Tbsp flour, 2 Tbsp sugar, and a pinch salt. Add strawberries and blueberries and stir to thoroughly combine, scraping down sides with a rubber spatula.
  • Place refrigerated dough on a lightly floured work surface. 
  • Roll into a 12-inch round, then transfer to a parchment paper–lined rimmed baking sheet. Mound berry mixture in center, leaving a 2-inch border. Gently fold in crust, pleating edges to enclose. Whisk egg white with 1 Tbsp water, then brush egg mixture onto crust and sprinkle with remaining 1 tsp sugar.
  • Transfer baking sheet to oven, lower heat to 425˚F, and bake until crust is golden, 20 to 22 minutes. Let cool 15 minutes, then serve warm or at room temperature.

32 comments:

~ Nee ~ said...

Good morning Elisabeth ,
The Beery Galette is almost to pretty to eat ... giggling ... I did say almost . Fresh fruit is plentifully here in North Louisiana and I will be making this one this week . Thanks for sharing :)

Laurie M said...

this is such a beautiful rustic desert, the berries are beautiful, I do this with apples but now I will do it with berries! your pastry is so lovely with the lemon!!

Angie Schneider said...

This is berry summery and pretty, Elisabeth. I haven't baked any tart, sweet or savoury, in a long while...you know..just trying to cut down the consumption of carbs..not very successful though as I eat lots of bread :-(

Kati said...

De szép, megkívántam :) Már rég nem készítettem galettet :)

Patty Magyar said...

It looks lovely...did you share?

Swathi Iyer said...

Beautiful, awesome colors Elisabeth, Natural light did wonders in photography.

Hankka said...

Istenien néz ki a gyümölcsökkel, nagyon finom lehetett! :)

Joyful said...

Ah, lovely. Perfect for summer.

Becky said...

Elisabeth,
Your galette is a gorgeous way to present the beautiful fruit. I love the lemon juicde and zestin the crust.

scrambledhenfruit said...

Gorgeous! I love all the berries this time of year. :)

Zoe said...

Hi Elisabeth,

Wow! I see lots of sunshine in your berry galette! Wishing that we will be getting lots of sunshine soon in Australia :D

Zoe

Dawn Yucuis said...

I love baking with fresh fruit. Your berry galette looks yummy!

Phong Hong said...

Hi Elisabeth! I'll have to say your Berry Galette is most beautiful! So full of those glorious berries. I bet the galette tastes fantastic! Berries are terribly expensive over here and they are none too fresh by the time they hit the shelves. I really envy you for being able to enjoy these berries during summer. They are full of nutrition too!

Katalin said...

De szépet sütöttél! Tudnék most enni belőle :-)

~~louise~~ said...

Hi Elisabeth!
Would you believe I have never made a Galette? I really should give it a try because I am just terrible at making pie crust, lol...Yours looks heavenly!

Thank you so much for sharing...

mangiabella said...

the galette is beautiful, so rustic and inviting. Making a galette is definitely on my summer bucket list!!! Send some of your rain our way, we could use it!!! Happy 4th sweet friend, hope you are doing well <3

traditionallymodernfood said...

Looks delicious.. Mouth watering pocs

Cathleen said...

This looks fantastic! I have never made a galette before, but I sure want to now!

Ivy Sew said...

Hi Elisabeth, my goodness! This is so good and delightful! Those blueberries and strawberries itself already so tempting and amazing!!! Gorgeous dessert! Slurrppppp... You have a wonderful day and warmest regards, Elisabeth :)

Juliana Levine said...

Beautiful galette, I love that it is loaded with berries...yum!
Thanks for the recipe Elisabeth...hope you are enjoying your week :D

Liz Berg said...

Your berry galette looks spectacular, Lizzie!! What a marvelous way to highlight all the gorgeous summer fruit! I'm going to have to try this dough recipe, too. Hope you're having a wonderful week! xo

lena said...

what is more prettier than filling the galette with all these fresh, colourful yummy berries? they look mouth wateing! i can see the difference in that 2 photos..at times too i wish i can get more natural light to shoot pictures., there's just not enough lighting in my house to take pics..and many times have to move the food to the garden to shoot! cheers!

kitchen flavours said...

That is one gorgeous galette! I love all the beautiful berries and am so jealous! As berries are pretty costly over here. It finally rained this afternoon, and what a relief, after a spell of dry, hot and dusty weeks! I'm wishing for more rain!
Hope you have a wonderful and delicious weekend ahead!

Elisabeth Pregadio said...

Of course I shared...I always share!

Elisabeth Pregadio said...

Louise, it is so much easier to form a galette crust, than a pie crust. Mixing the dough in the food processer is the easiest way. Thank you for your sweet compliment!

Elisabeth Pregadio said...

Thank you for all your sweet comments! I do appreciate everyone for stopping by! xo

Kathy said...

Wow Elisabeth your galette is simply gorgeous! Your photos are lovely!! I love the one with the dappled sunlight…so pretty! Hope the rain is gone. Enjoy your weekend!

Amelia said...

Hi my dear Elisabeth, wowwwwww...I sure love this galette of your. It's awesome and the generous amount of berries.... to die for kind. LOL
Those berries are expensive in Malaysia especially blueberry. So I hardly bake cakes with berries, only eat as fresh fruits. Wish I can have a huge slice and a cup of coffee. :))

Have a lovely week ahead,regards. With lots of love and hugs to you.

Citra Kale said...

Hello Elizabeth... Miss you so much.... Can I have that berry galette? :))

~~louise~~ said...

Hi Elisabeth,
Thinking about you again today. Hope all is well in your little corner of the world:)

suhaina aji said...

Hi..Aftr long time i visit ur blog. Really amazed with the quality of the photos. love love that berry galette. feels like its just kept in front of me.. wish i can grab that whole plate..soon i will try using ur recipe..thanks for the recipe dear..really tempting..

Lillian (My Recipe Journey) said...

Yum...I love fruity galettes and this one looks amazing! Your photos are perfect!