Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Cavolfiore con Uovo-{Cauliflower in Egg Batter}

Hi Friends,
I've been wanting to do a blog post and go around commenting for the past two weeks now. I'm feeling much better now, no sciatica pain...battled a bad flu since that time as well. Your thoughtful comments have meant so much to me to know I have you as my friends...and not just 'readers' as quite a few bloggers refer to other bloggers, and I have actually discovered the reason 'why'!

 While I was checking sources for recipes on Pinterest, I have bookmarked several sights with the most amazing photos and recipes but unfortunately these bloggers have only a few commenters for their lovely posts...and it really is sad. Maybe they're not reaching out for more viewers or have their blog in the research engines or RSS feeds. Don't know and...just wondering!

Until now, I just haven't had the strength emotionally and spiritually; even though I made two amazing appetizer dishes in the one month anniversary of Rosario's passing.These two appetizers were his all time favorites which he made throughout the years and even for this last Christmas...which we are all still wondering how in the world he made it when he was so gravely ill.

I have missed you all, SO very much! Thank you for all your loving and caring condolences, your thoughts and prayers which helped tremendously. As far as my blog, all I have been doing all these weeks lately, is pinning on Pinterest for hours at a time (guilty!) Just can't resist finding beautiful fashions, colors, and of course FOODS! Especially now, with Valentine's day in a couple days.

Today is President Abraham Lincoln's Birthday...what a GREAT man HE was!  Tomorrow is Ash Wednesday, and Thursday is VALENTINE'S DAY! Oh, and I did forget...which you all know by now, Pope Benedict resigned?!

Our world sure is changing...hopefully for the better, although not so sure about our crazy weather in the north east with the famous NEMO snow blizzard. Hope that some of you that are living in the north east have been safe and been able to climb out of all the snow piles.

I am so happy to be back after near month break and promise to stay in touch and visit...visit...visit all you sweet, dear friends! Thank you for all you caring support from me and my children, Lora and Joe! xoxo

Cauliflower is one of my all-time favorite vegetables...even more than, broccoli. Love the mild flavor all it's own. Love the crunchy flavor raw, roasted, steamed, in soups especially. Also is so good 'pickled' and dipped in egg batter and fried in fresh canola oil...just can't resist eating only one. This recipe which is totally 'handed down' for years, and will stay a 'staple' holiday, or special occasion appetizer in our family.

Cavolfiore con Uovo
Cauliflower with Egg Batter
recipe; handed down from the Pregadio family, 
(with slight adaptation)

1 large cauliflower
2 cups flour
1 cup canola oil (for frying, or more if needed)
3 eggs well beaten
salt and pepper to taste
paprika, to sprinkle on (optional)
Cut cauliflower in half, and then in large chunks.
Boil until al dente...do not overcook.

When cooked strain in colander, rinse with cold water in kitchen sink.











Cut in portion size pieces...as shown in photo.












In a large bowl, add the flower and the seasoning and add the cauliflower pieces. Incorporate the pieces real well so that they are all coated well.











With a tong, dip no more than three pieces at at time in the eggs. (if you need more eggs beat a couple more, just do not add water to the egg batter)











In a large cast iron, or heavy skillet, fry until golden...just do not crowd the pieces, or they will not fry properly.











Fry in hot oil until they're golden brown...










Drain on double folded paper towel, and assemble them unto a pretty serving platter.

You can serve them with your favorite dipping sauce, which I did not include in this recipe; there are so many amazing ones out there.







This is the most favorite appetizer of all...next to the Eggplant appetizer (sneak preview) for next post! The Eggplant appetizer is a roasted eggplant cut up in chunks and scooped pieces with fresh garlic, crushed red pepperrs, extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, and capers. A re-created recipe by me from the original Caponata...minus the tomatoes, olives, and the celery.

As for my Pinterest mania...this is where the FUN comes in! You collect your favorite things on your pin board, and if you're lucky enough to find the source where it came from, you will also get the recipe. For Valentine's I have a special board called 'my funny Valentine' which really is a name of a song I love so much.

Have you ever seen such a gorgeous festive cake for Valentine?. Well, this tops them all!
I did not see this pinned on Pinterest...but the Valentine's wish was on Pinterest. Checked the source, and it came from; splenderosa.blogspot.com

Isn't Pinterest the greatest? You can get so hooked on it, and get lost for hours at a time! Hugs,


Enhanced by Zemanta

28 comments:

Kati said...

Elisabeth, örvendek, hogy már jobban vagy. Hiányoztál:)

marisz57 said...

Mi is nagyon szeretjük a rántott karfiolt, és én is éppen így készítem.
Képzeld Elisabeth, magyar jelölt is van a pápaságra, Erdő Péter bíboros.
Én nagyon drukkolok, hogy őt válasszák meg!
Örülök, hogy helyrebillent a testi és lelki egészséged.
remélem, újult erővel és jó kedvvel írod továbbra is a blogodat!

Cucina49 said...

OMG, that looks delicious! The Italians know something about frying food--it's always perfectly seasoned and light somehow, despite the frying. I hope you're doing better.

Swathi Iyer said...

Elisabeth, hope you are doing fine. Yes it is very hard to go through this phase of life when we lose somebody we love a lot. I had to face it when I lost my mother.

By the way this fried cauliflower looks delicious appetizer.

wendyweekendgourmet said...

Great to see you back, Elisabeth! I'm glad you're feeling better...and I am drooling over these cauliflower bites! I adore cauliflower...one of my favorite veggies. I love it raw...and I'm pretty sure I'd love it battered and fried :)...

Amelia said...

Hi My dear Elisabeth, so good to see you back in action. I know it's hard to go thru and accept the fact but God is with you, stay strong. you still got your children and beautiful grandchildren around you.

Delicious cauliflowers, this look very addictive and appetizing.YUMMY!
The heart shape chocolate dessert look beautiful and cute.

Happy Valentine day to you. With hugs and love to you, you are always my very dear friend and a sister.
P/S Tomorrow valentine day is our 5th day of Chinese New Year.

Katalin said...

Kedves Elisabeth, örülök, hogy újra itt vagy, és hogy már jobban érzed magad. A karfiolod nagyon guszta, finom lehetett. Én is szoktam hasonló módon kirántani, szeretjük :)

Angie's Recipes said...

Elisabeth, I am glad to know that you are feeling BETTER now.
I have been eating lots of cauliflowers lately, but mostly just simply poaching them in a stock. Yours look so much more appetizing!

Paula said...

On top of everything else you've had to deal with so far this year, I'm sorry to hear that you also caught the flu. I do hope that you are on the mend, as you say both physically, emotionally. Do give yourself time.
I've never had battered cauliflower. It really does look great! Thanks for sharing and I'm not just referring to the recipe. Take good care of you.

Gizi said...

Kedves Elisabeth, nagyon örülök hogy jobban vagy, és újra itt vagy köztünk!!! Nem fogod elhinni, de ma én is rántott karfiolt szerettem volna csinálni, de aztán brokkoli lett belőle. Megint egy ételre gondoltunk, mint már többször is. Imádnám ezt a finom ebédet, a desszertről már nem is beszélve.
Hamarosan válaszolok a leveledre. Sajnos kórházba voltam, és most éppen lábadozom. Szerencse hogy volt elkészítve több étel, és így nem hanyagolom el teljesen a blogomat. Puszillak

♥LOVE2COOK MALAYSIA♥ said...

Simple yet scrumptious fried cauliflowers!!! Happy Valentines <3

Anonymous said...

Ηi theгe i аm κavin, its mу fіrst
ocсasion to commenting anyрlace, when
і гead this рiecе of wгiting i thought i could аlso mаke cοmment due to this good article.



Fеel frеe to visit my wеbsite - bad credit loans

Amelia said...

Hi my dearest Elisabeth, drop by again to wish you HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY. I'm so glad to have a wonderful friend like you. With lots of love and hugs to you.

Have a nice day. Regards.

Betty said...

It is good to see you feeling better and back at your blog. The cauliflower looks so delicious- a perfect appetizer. :)

Anita at Hungry Couple said...

This recipe brought back memories. My mother used to make it all the time when I was growing up and it was one of my most favorite things! I've seen all the lovely fashions you've been pinning and they're all so stunning. They all make me wish I was tall enough and thin enough to wear them. And...that I had someplace to where them to! :) Keep feeling better and keep your spirits up!

Illéskrisz Konyhája said...

Elisabeth! De jó hogy vagy újra! Örülök, hogy olvashatlak ismét. Finom ez a karfiol, itthon bundázva esszük. Puszillak!

Gina Stanley said...

Glad you are starting to feel better, it's a process getting back to some sort of normalcy. The reason people pin is for traffic. So glad you are doing better and hope each day gets easier. I do love fried veggies.
-Gina-

Sissi said...

It's such a pleasure to see you back, Elisabeth. I am glad to learn you slowly recover from the sadness of recent events. Cauliflower in eggs sounds like a perfect comfort food to me.

Juliana said...

Oh Elisabeth...I am glad that you feeling better :) Sciatica and flu? I have been battling sciatica and I know how painful can be...
Your cauliflower looks delicious with the egg batter. Awesome tutorial!
I hope you had wonderful Valentine's Day and thank you for such a beautiful cake.

wanna said...

Egyszerű, de csodás étel a rántott karfiol, szeretjük :)
Minden jót Elisabeth!

Zsuzsa said...

Hello dear Elisabeth, I missed you. I have often have this dish over at one of our daughter's in-laws place, naszasszony es nasznak hivjuk oket magyarul. A nasz is Italian and his Canadian wife is thoroughly Italianized and of course both of them are great cooks and fabulous hosts. So I can attest, this is a lovely side dish or appetizer, but with grated cheese I could eat it as a main course. But as you so well know at an Italian household this would be just one of many dishes on the table.

Amanda said...

yummy! and i'm so glad you are feeling better!

Phong Hong said...

Elisabeth, glad you are back and feeling better! That cauliflower dish sure looks yummy! Hope that you recover completely and be back to being your strong and healthy self!

Marina said...

Hi Elisabeth, Glad to hear you are getting better. I missed you, my friend! I wish I live closer so I could bring you some warm soup to sped up the healing. Hugs, dear Elisabeth!

Liz Berg said...

So good to see a post from you, my friend! Your cauliflower looks amazing...I can see why it's a family favorite. I'm so glad you shared this recipe with all the memories. I know Rosario would have loved your gesture....xoxo

Emma said...

So glad to see you back!! It takes a long time to heal and you've had quite the hard time of it lately (life's like that hey?!).

Take care honey!

Inside a British Mum's Kitchen said...

Great cauliflower recipe! so glad you're feeling better - how horrid to hve a bad bout of the flu :(
Mary x

Kathy said...

Wonderful cauliflower recipe!! Ane it is wonderful to see you back blogging! I have missed you my friend…hope you continue to feel better! I’m a bit slow this week with comments…we are in Fl. again!