Sunday, May 5, 2013

Blueberry recipes

Still having plenty of issues with my new Windows 8...new camera, and now I purchased a new HP printer/scanner to be compatible with the new PC. Will just have to have patience in getting all the equipment together and will create a harmonious effect...as soon as it is all completed.

In the meantime, I will be posting a couple of old favorites from my blog, and a new one that I just discovered through Pinterest!

Click on the title to find this gorgeous Blueberry Mini Tart with  ... mascarpone cream filling!

I've been buying so much blueberries lately, just enjoying them sprinkled on my shredded wheat cereal in the morning, but will be making some nice desserts soon. I saved this gorgeous mini tart on my Pinterest board...the photos are amazing; professional photography...no doubt!
Always curious to find the actual source it came from, and I found it! Gladly sharing it with you!






Photo and recipe from a previous post of mine

LEMON BLUEBERRY BREAD
adapted  from The New Basic Cookbook

TOPPING (Streusel)
 1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup un-bleached all purpose flour
4 Tbsp=1/2 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 Tbsp grated lemon zest
1  teaspoon ground cinnamon

Stir the topping ingredients together in a small bowl, and set aside.

For the Bread/Tea Cake:

3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup sour cream
4 Tbsp=1/2 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 eggs
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups fresh blueberris
Zest of 1 lemon
after zesting lemon, use the juice from it

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a 9x5inch loaf pan with cooking spray
In a medium bowl, stir the sugar, sugar, milk, sour cream, butter, and eggs together, until smooth.
In a larger bowl, toss together,. the flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir the wet ingredients into it, and add the juice of the 1 lemon.
Carefully, fold in the blueberries, and the lemon zest, to combine.

Transfer the batter to the prepared loaf pan, and sprinkle with the topping, carefully patting it down a little.
Bake on 375 degrees for the first 30 minutes...lower the temperature to 325 degree F. and bake for an addition 25 minutes until topping is deep golden, and has formed a nice crunchy and thick crust.
Cool in the pan for about 10 minutes on a wire rack and transfer the loaf pan to continue cooling. Makes 1 loaf

 I would like to show off my new thrift find...a "fire king" oven proof blue glass loaf pan that I purchased at Goodwill, for $1.99. It's not as deep as your "pyrex" glass loafpans, but it really is pretty, and has a nice design on it. Besides the fact that it's such a bargain, this seems to be an antique from the sixties, or seventies. Have not seen one like that at all.







Sicilian Puttanesca Sauce 
my own recipe (recipe by Elisabeth)

(photo and recipe from a previous post of mine)



4 large ripe tomatoes
1/2 cup of white, or red wine ( I used white)
8 oil cured olives, or other black olives, pitted
4 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
also, extra for drizzling on top
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
6 anchovies, rolled in capers (optional)
a handful of white mushrooms, sliced (optional)
12 fresh basil leaves
a handful of Italian fresh parsley (optional)
1 lb. fusili lunghi, or spaghetti
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
grated Parmesan cheese

First thing you must do, is to drop whole tomatoes in boiling water, to blanch them, just enough to see the skin loosening, and taking them out of the boiling water with a slotted spoon. Add more water to the large pot that the tomatoes were blanching in, to boil the pasta. Run tomatoes under cold water to remove the skin, easier. Chop the tomatoes into small chunks, removing the hard core.

Heat the garlic an the crushed red pepper in a large skillet, adding the olive oil, over medium-high heat. Add the wine, let it cook down a little, and add the mushrooms, and cook until it sweats, and liquids released. Add the  chopped tomatoes, and cook for a few minutes. Do not let the tomatoes get soft, leave them in chunks. Add the olives, and anchovies with the capers, stir and heat though until it comes to a boil. Turn off heat, and cover, until you are ready to incorporate with the pasta. Drain pasta, reserving a small amount of pasta water, to add to the sauce if needed. Serve pasta in a large pasta bowl, adding the sauce on top, and drizzle with additional olive oil, and snipped basil, and parsley. Pass the Parmesan cheese. Serves 4. Absolutely divine pasta, you will ever taste!



35 comments:

Kati said...

Istenien néz ki mindenik:) Főleg a gyümölcsös jólesne most:)

Angie Schneider said...

Love Puttanesca sauce! I bought some blueberries this week too, they are so delicious and good for you.

DEZMOND said...

I positively adore anything with blueberries, dear! And with lemon... heavens :)

Torviewtoronto said...

delicious dishes looks fabulous and flavourful

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

Blueberry and lemon bread? Oh yes please!!

Sandra Mihic said...

I've been enjoying blueberries too and your Blueberry Mini Tart is just so yummy as well as bread! Great post, I hope you have relaxing Sunday!

Wendy Wofford-Garcia said...

If you're going to splurge, may as well be something delish and healthy like blueberries! Sorry I've been MIA lately...was busy planning a blog trip to New York, but am back now and trying to catch up with everyone. Congrats on the new computer and camera...new toys are always fun!!

scrambledhenfruit said...

Mmmmm...blueberries! These both look delicious- and so does the sauce. :)

suhaina aji said...

WOWW..THAT LOOKS SIMPLY DELICIOUS ....YUMMM..LOVE IT.

Dawn Yucuis said...

I love baking with blueberries, I am just starting to see them in our stores at a price that I can afford them. I love the lemon blueberry bread.

Katalin said...

Ismét egy gyönyörűséget sütöttél :)

Happy Valley Chow said...

Definitely some delicious blueberry recipes, great job :)

Happy Blogging!
Happy Valley Chow

Chris Scheuer said...

Love blueberries too, that bread looks phenomenal!

Sissi said...

Hi Elisabeth, I'm happy to see your issues don't stop you from posting (and visiting our blogs! thank you for the kind comments!). I like pasta alla putanesca a lot and your richer version looks fabulous too. Not to mention the blueberry bread, which must have a wonderful aroma.
Unfortunately we still don't have local blueberries here (the ones imported from Spain don't have much taste or aroma alas...), but as soon as they start appearing on markets, I also go crazy with blueberry sweets.
Thank you for the link to the beautiful Polish blog. I didn't know it. There is however a small spelling mistake in your link. It should be "Kadry" (not Kadri). (I hope you don't mind my comment.)

Zsuzsa said...

Great post Elisabeth! You will be so up to date soon with all this new equipment that you will have the best of photos! I am afraid to call you now - let loose two talkers and your kids will think you died in the parking lot again.

Elisabeth Foodandthrift said...

Hi Sissi, thank you for your kind comment and the 'spelling correction'...did not realize I made this small error from a 'y' to an 'i'! The blogger probably does not even know I exist...even though I left her a comment, and mentioned about the 'shoutout' to her, and posted her photo! (I will of course remove it if she does not approve!)

The blueberries here, in S. Florida are available all year round, especially this time of the year, very affordable, sweet, juicy, and abundant. One of my most favorite berries next to strawberry!

Elisabeth Foodandthrift said...

Zsuzsa, I can't believe I spent over one hour talking on my cell phone in the Best Buy parking lot with you...just didn't want to talk and drive, knowing our conversation would be so long.

My kids are always wondering and worrying about me when I'm gone for more than 1hr and not know where I am!

Juliana said...

Look forward to see the photos from your new camera :)
I love blueberries and your bread sure looks great...
Have a lovely week Elisabeth!

Ridwan@Riceandcoconut said...

What a beautiful pictures both dishes are looks delicious and tasty :)

Sissi said...

Lucky you! I wish I lived in a warmer climate (ok, I shouldn't complain: it would be much colder in Scandinavian countries or even in Hungary!).

Liz Berg said...

All your recipes look fantastic, Lizzie! I'll definitely try your puttanesca...but that blueberry bread is awfully tempting, too. I have Windows 8, too...what a pain to figure it out!

Swathi Iyer said...

I admire you Elisabeth, you are great with learning windows 8. blueberry bread is calling my name. Love that pasta sauce, Thanks for your birthday wishes to my daughter she had a blast

wanna said...

Ezek tényleg szuper dolgok, csodás fotók! Imádom a fekete ribizlit, a "puttanescat", hasznos post.

Illéskrisz Konyhája said...

Hű az az első kis tortácskák, azok nagyon tetszenek. Alig várom a friss áfonyát. Ugyan most is lehet kapni, de iszonyat drágán, és nagyon kevés van a dobozban....

Carmen Anderson said...

Oh wow, so many beautiful photos in one post! What a treat! The Blueberry mini tarts look delicious, and the photo really is phenomenal, I can't help but pinned and shared it on my Pinterest wall too!!! I love the Lemon Blueberry bread/tea cake recipe, the lemon/blueberry combo is making my mouth water already. And your Sicilian Puttanesca Sauce sounds awesome, got all my favorite ingredients in it, I can't wait to try it.

Amelia said...

Hi Elisabeth, your blueberry bread look heavenly. I like the topping and blueberry. The other recipe Sicillian Puttanesca, very interesting recipe. Look very inviting. :))

Have a lovely weekend, regards. With hugs and lot of love to you.

mangiabella said...

Bella you bring such a smile to my face - that blueberry tart, oh my goodness, it's gorgeous!!! I have never made a tart before - I'm tellin ya, baking is still new to me, I have so much to discover!!! But you inspire me to continue learning...the Puttanesca looks AHHHHHHHHH-mazing. What a treat it would be to be sharing this meal with you face to face. I love the Andrew McCarthy quote too - I want to wish you a very happy mother's day and send all my love and the warmest embrace through these lines. What a blessing you are to your children and grandchildren and what a legacy of love you are creating for them. xoxo

Éva said...

Nagyon szép és guszta az áfonyás süti! Áfonyát én még nem ettem de annyian dícsérik hogy csak finom lehet! A másik tányérkádon lévő finomságot is szívesen megkóstolnám mert nagyon jól néz ki!:-)

honey82 said...

Ciaoooo Cara!!!!!! :-)
How are you??
I like blueberry...and your cake are amazing... :-))
Bravissima bacione ciaoooooo :-**********

SKIP TO MALOU said...

I came over to say Happy Mother's Day amiga! I hope you get to indulge and enjoy... Cheers!
Malou

Kitchen Gypsies said...

Happy Mother's Day Elisabeth. Have a wonderful day.

Emma said...

Love LOVE this kind of tea cake, especially with the crumble topping. Blueberries are one of my favourite fruits and I eat them often in summer.

And that pasta sauce! So lush.

Mari Núñez said...

Delicious looking recipes, I love that sauce, you now got me craving some. I do enjoy all your pinterest pins, great job.... how do you do it? I mean find all those great things to pin!

Hugs

Elisabeth Foodandthrift said...

Hi Mari, just click on the source until you find the actual site or blog it came from. Recipe is usually there, as well!

Kathy said...

Your Fire king Blue Sapphire vintage loaf pan was a great find…I paid about 15.00 for mine in an antique store at least 10 years ago. The were made in the 40’s and 50’s.
Love those gorgeous blueberry tarts and your lovely blueberry bread…both sounds delicious!