Friday, September 17, 2010

Cajun Oven Fried Chicken

I hesitated to post this photo of my Cajun Oven Fried Chicken, because it seems like that's all I post is chicken dishes, and of course dishes, as in special thrift find dishes, platter, etc. There are endless possibilities to with chicken. Our family never gets tired of chicken, so therefore it is a staple dish in our family. Although this was my simple little dinner, I thought I would share this recipe, and the special flat bread I bought at my local, all time favorite supermarket, besides Whole Foods. Another story about that.

 Cajun Oven Fried Chicken

! whole chicken cut up in 8 parts, or
chicken parts, of your choice
1 Tbsp. Cajun seasoning
or a (mix of your own)
1/3 cup low-fat buttermilk
salt, and pepper to taste
1 cup Panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
Cooking spray

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Combine spices and buttermilk in a shallow dish. Dip chicken pieces one at a time, into the buttermilk mixture, dredge in Panko. Place chicken pieces on a baking sheet, lined with parchment paper. Lightly coat chicken with cooking spray. Bake at 400 degrees for 40 minutes or until done. Turn chicken over, after 20 minutes. 8 pieces servings
I like to freeze flat bread, pita, and any other kinds of quick breads that I am not using at the time. As you can see, this flat bread was purchased about 3 days before the expiration date, and had I not froze it, it would have expired. That goes to show you that it's all natural, and does not have a long shelf life, therefore, if you don't use it up right away, you only have literally 2 days, and it will start to dry, or get stale.  I grilled the bread in my cast iron grill pan, just barely heated it up, and I'll tell you, I cold have eaten up all three large pieces, just like that, with nothing else. This was incredibly so good, that I have to keep buying this, and one day, make my own, if I get ambitious enough for it.

I've also neglected lately, to show off my thrift finds treasures. This one really is a treasure. "Holly Hobby" how I always loved everything Holly Hobby, which became later, "Precious Moment". This plate, is by American Greeting Co. in Cleveland, Ohio, my precious home town. The year, 1972. Can you believe this? Takes you back, doesn't it? Don't know why no one grabbed this...it was displayed at Goodwill, on their Green wares rack. $1.99. Not a chip, not a scratch. How could any Holly Hobby lover would go wrong with that.? I pulled this out from back of my kitchen cabinet, did not even display this, and I served my Cajun Chicken dinner on this plate for myself. Made me feel pretty special. I gave something like this to my mom back in those days as a gift, but this was not the one. I'm keeping some one else's treasure, that was given to their mom, and I guess that particular mom passed away. It's usually like that. Sometimes you walk in there, and you'll see a whole set of beautiful china, matching coffee cups, and other items, that you just feel, another person passed away, and the family donated it. Well, in this case, I gave it a good home!

Enhanced by Zemanta

4 comments:

Anne said...

I know what you mean about chicken - I swear, it seems like that's all I eat some weeks! But it's versatile and healthy, so why not cook it a lot? This looks really good, and I LOVE Naan!

Gina said...

I love the Holly Hobby plate, I had a Holly Hobby easy bake oven as a little girl, I wish my mom had saved it. Is there such a thing as too much chicken. Thanks for the great recipe.
-Gina-

Elisabeth said...

Hi Anne,
Thank you for commenting. I also love Naan, but this special garlic one is the best, by far!

Elisabeth said...

Gina,
Holly Hobby was my all time favorite back in the sixties, and seventies. They are from Cleveland, my home town. A friend of mine was an artist for American Greetings, which promoted Holly Hobby!