Monday, October 24, 2011

Halloween Birthday Cake...and Fun Celebration!

It's showtime! "Theater of Horrors"...or is it "Tales from the Crypt?" In my last post, I mentioned that I was planning to make a birthday cake for my granddaughter Sophia's birthday...a very special 10th birthday. The second of 4 precious grandchildren that I was bless with. I held off till the last day...the day before the birthday party. Just could not decide how it's going to be, since I am not a cake decorator...but yes, I can bake, just not my "forte."...I would rather put ten gourmet meals together, before I would venture into a "cake decorating disaster!"
Did I mention that the little plastic decorations were from the dollar store?...a whole fun bag for $1.
Sophia requested for me to bake special birthday cake, 2 weeks before her birthday...she requested that it should be a Halloween cake, since her birthday is 1 week before Halloween, and decided to have a special birthday party at home for her friends, and parents included. This is her first b-party celebration, since she was born. Every year she had her party out in different fun places, including at an ice-skating rink last year.

I'm linking my Halloween Birthday Cake to: Full Plate Thursday, 10-27-11
@ Miz Helen's Country Cottage
For the Buttercream Frosting, I will give you a great tip for this blog that I found!
 Savory Sweet Life
Any blogger that gets 377 comments for a buttercream frosting recipe, and as you can see the superb decoration with the frosting....just gotta go with that recipe, and I did! Perfect, creamy, yummy! You must follow exactly the method, suggested.
Seriously, when you leave butter out to get soft at room temperature, you sift the confectioners (powdered sugar)...you can whip it up to perfection. I used the 3 cups method, with 2 Tbs. of whole milk, with the 2 sticks of butter at room temperature.

Before you place your cooled cake on your serving platter (I used bottom up)...place 4 pieces of about 4 inch aluminum foil, or wax paper around the platter, for easier frosting, and less messy cleanup. note: this is the actual color, a pretty soft pastel peach.

This flat thin stainless steel spatula, is a "lifesaver" of mine. (another thrift find for 29 cents) I have one from years ago, and this is another. I use this to flip my crepe, as well!
You can easily slide out the foil, when you are done frosting on the top, and sides. I actually did learn this method years ago, when I started to bake cakes, and have never forgotten...it really works!

Are you ready for another surprise? This was my second layer. Pumpkin Cheesecake
Don't make the same mistake that I did...you DO need the crust, for easier removal, of the cheesecake, and also for density. I could not remove the cheesecake from the pan...although I did place a circle of waxed paper under the pan, so I wouldn't ruin the cake. At serving time, it's better to remove the top layer from the bottom. It should be removed from the fridge at least 1 hour before serving, to let the buttercream come to room temperature!

As for the chocolate cake, this is the cake mix I used, purchased at Whole Foods Market...my most favorite market in the world...next to my local Publix supermarket!


All dressed up for pre-Halloween,. Sophia 3rd. from left and her dearest friends!
Sophia, and proud Nonna Lizzie!
Even the dining room table got a cute decoration by Sophia!
I am so glad the this is over, it's been fun to get such helpful sources, ideas, from the Internet and blogs...but at the end, I would have no one but myself to blame if the cake didn't turn out, so I'm really thankful that it did, and it was really very good, as well. I did not get a chance to photograph a piece of either cakes...was too busy cutting  pieces...so all, in all it was a successful event for a happy young lady, and her special 10th birthday. Today is officially Sophia's birthday...HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SOPHIA! Much love to you, and to all my dear friends! Thank you for coming along on this little journey...once again!


Enhanced by Zemanta

29 comments:

Shabs said...

happy b'day to your grand daughter , the cake looks fun Elisabeth and Thank you so much for lovely comments on my blog , that made my day :D.

Kati said...

Isten éltesse a lányodat, vagány lett a tortája, elég félelmetes:)) Mi nem ünnepeljük a Haloween-t, Mindszentek napján mi a halottainkra emlékezünk.

mangiabella said...

bravo!!! the cake looks divine, and the girls are just adorable, I would say a successful event indeed!!!!! happy birthday to sweet bella sophia!

Gina said...

Aaaww, Happy Birthday Sophia. You did a knock-out job with this cake. I love the simple decorations, lol. This is how I make buttercream, always comes out great. Love the decor for the party. How much fun.
-Gina-

Patty said...

You are the best nonna ever...you did an amazing job!!!

What fun...

laurie said...

thats a beautiful cake,, the frosting is amazing,, the decorations just perfect,,

Gizi said...

Boldog születésnapot kívánok Sophia-nak!!!
Nagyon jópofa a torta ezzel a díszítéssel.Tündéri a leányzó mosolya, nagyon jók a képek.

(sajnos elromlott a laptopom, így csak ritkán tudtam benézni hozzád)

marisz57 said...

Nagyon bájos kis hölgy az unokád! Helyesek vagytok együtt a képen.
A torta remek lett. Isten éltesse Sophiat!
(A cicókád kedvesen dorombol.)

Three-Cookies said...

Interesting cake, definitely good to see no pink skeletons

Lizzy said...

Aw, the girls are SO cute! And who says you can't decorate? I know Sophia was thrilled with your beautiful cake...all decked out for Halloween :) You did it well, my friend!!! xo

Pegasuslegend said...

Adorable!

Amelia's De-ssert said...

Hi Elisabeth, happy birthday to your grand daughter. Your cake decoration sure look cute and pretty. Like the Halloween decoration. Very cute.
Have a nice day and I had add you in my blog list too. Thanks my dear friend. Have a nice day. *hugs*

ping said...

Hello gorgeous grandma! Happy birthday to Sophia! That is one Ah-mazing cake, Elisabeth! (What's wrong with pink skeletons?)

SKIP TO MALOU said...

such a lucky birthday girl your granddaughter is for having a grandma like you who could whip up a cake as per her wishes. Looks like a fun birthday... give my birthday greetings to her.

Angie's Recipes said...

A Halloween birthday cake! It looks so creepy and fun!
Happy Birthday, Sophia!
Angie

mia xara said...

Hi Elisabeth,looks like the girls enjoyed the birthday party as well as the cake with all the creepy trimmings..It actually looks very impressive,I especially like the candy corn touch! Have a great week, XO

Petra said...

Brrrr, de félelmetes. Az a százlábú... Ó, anyám!
Nagyon ötletes lett a torta, gratulálok! :)

Bianka said...

Sok boldogságot
Hát ez a torta nagyon csúcs lett

Junia said...

homemade cakes are the best! you are the sweetest. i bet she loved it! i haven't tried the whole foods cake mix yet, but i'll look for it! have a great day elizabeth!

honey82 said...

Ciao Cara!!!
Ma che bellissima tortaaaaa!!!!!:-))
Complimenti e anche le bimbe son meravigliose con quei bei vestitini di Halloween..
Mi piace,come sempre super Cara!!!;-)
Kisses
Daiana

the Junkie book said...

belated birthday wishes to Sophia! i can imagine your stress and then your glee at having whipped out an awesome cake like this...congratulations dear Elisabeth...i could kill for a nonna like you...ahem, you're young for that though ;P

Chic & Gorgeous Treats said...

Hi Elisabeth! Would love to wish Sophia Many Happy Returns and Happy Birthday!! The cake is so fun. Fits her Halloween request and you look wonderful too ;). I've dropped you an e-mail so when you're free buzz me. Can't believe we'll be meeting each other next week.. woo hoo.. till then.. take care dear friend. Huggsss =D

claire @ the realistic nutritionist said...

How fun decked out for Halloween!! This looks AMAZING!

Ꮮуռ (ᶬˠ ᶩᶤᵗᵗᶥᵋ ᵐᵋˢˢᵞ ᴻ ᶜʱᵋᵋᵏᵞ) said...

Happy Birthday, Sophia! You're so lucky to have such a loving Nonna! ;)
Elizabeth, you've really done a very good job on Sophia's Bday cake and I love your decorations! So fun! ;)
Hope you have a great week!

Christine's Pantry said...

Happy Birthday Sophia! Beautiful cake.

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

Happy Birthday Sophia! Elisabeth, you said you are not a good baker but you made a fabulous birthday cake! I do prefer making meals but I have no courage to make cakes... :-) I love the Halloween theme. My b-day is on Halloween, can you make one too? *hint hint* =)

Becky said...

Happy Birthday, Sophia!
Elisabeth, This is such an amazing Halloween birthday cake. You can just see Sophia beaming. You nailed this celebration perfectly, with all of your decorations and the cake. I really like the pumpkin cheesecake layer with the chocolate ganache, Yum!

Miz Helen said...

Happy Birthday to Sophia, she is a very lucky little girl to have a special grandmother like you! The cake and the party look like so much fun, a wonderful memory for all of you. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you are having a great week end and come back soon!
Miz Helen

Magic of Spice said...

I bet they had an amazing time and the cake looks perfect!