Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Rosemary, and Olive Knots...and Photo Props


Question! How important is "prop setting" for your food photo?...is it the prop behind the food? ...or is it the importance of the photo of the food! Plating the food is to me, and the presentation of it....is  the most important thing! First of all, the props, the plating, the lights...natural is the best lighting, by the way!
So, really, which angle works best?...and what do you really focus on?...my most amazing knot shaped rolls, filled with sliced Kalamata olives, and chopped fresh rosemary?...or the fresh bunch of rosemary?...what about the beautiful Batik Cloth?...well, that should be and "eyeful,"...so bright, and pretty, the floral designs are absolutely gorgeous, on the background of a soft blue-green color! This was a gift given to me by my dear food blog friend for over one year now, Joanna (Jo)...from ChicGorgeous , whom I finally met in person, at the 3rd Annual Foodbuzz Blogger Festival, and we share nearly one week of fun, and adventure, in San Francisco! She gave me this beautiful cloth, and what did I give her?...what do most American wear the most...all genders...a Baseball Cap!
Yes, an all American Baseball Cap, with of course, Palm Beach, Florida written on it, from yet, another famous 5 star hotel, The Breakers Hotel! (let's just hope Jo will pose with the cap, and takes photo with it to post on her blog)
Rosemary and Olive Knots...warmed up, on the second day; tasted even better!

Before I get to post the actual step-by-step direction, recipe...since now, I forgot the exact recipe from the book, which I didn't even really follow...just needed the idea. By now, I know the basic dough making for the yeast rolls, and I have become more "hands on" with the using of the dry yeast powder. Don't be afraid to use it, just make sure that the date isn't expired, and make sure that you start out with warm water to get the yeast started with.

I, for one, will tell you the source my recipes come from, or at least an idea how it came about, most of the times, unless it's a "hand me down" verbal recipe that I remember from making it over, and over again. It's just a matter of experimenting with various herbs, spices, and different ways of creating, and re-creating a recipe! I got this book called "The Modern Baker" by Nick Malgieri, from my local public library, and I fell in love with the book and all the amazing recipes, for cakes, rolls, and breads. I simply clicked on to my Amazon account, and ordered it online, for an unbeatable cheap price...and NEW! I took the book back to the library, just after I made these rolls, and forgot to copy the recipe, but my book will be arriving in a few days, or so! I just had so much fun with this dough, along with my little grandson, again. (I think he will follow his daddy's and my footsteps)...and he will become a chef, or a baker!






Rosemary, and Olive Knots
adapted from, The Modern Baker, by Nick Malgieri

3 cups all purpose unbleached flour
1 teaspoon sea salt
2 teaspoons dry yeast (abt.1 1/2 packet)
1 1/2 cup almost hot water
3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 Tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
1/2 cup pitted Kalamata olives
additional extra virgin olive oil and salt and pepper

Add the yeast to the warm water, stir lightly, and let it dissolve. I will foam up, a bit. In the meantime, in a large food processor, add the flour, the salt. Pour in the yeast with the water, and add the extra virgin olive oil Pulse a few times, to let the dough form, remove carefully, to a floured surface, and work the dough together, and add it to a large oiled bowl. Turn dough over, cover with plastic wrap, and a kitchen towel over the plastic wrap. Let it sit for 1 hour. It will double in size, just like on the photo, ready to start working the dough!



Punch down on the dough, lightly, and lift to put on a work surface, or a large board, to roll out into a 10x8 inch rectangle, or a large square.





The square or rectangle does not have to be precise, and as you can see the natural light is not enough, as in the upper photo. Spread the olive and rosemary mixture over the dough, just around the middle. 












Fold the dough over with the filling inside, once, or twice!













With a pizza, or pastry cutter, cut about 1 inch pieces, all the way through...again, I stress the fact the just one fold over would be easier to fold the knots.









Now, here comes my little assistant, wanting to see how the knots are made, but he wants to make his favorite Nemo fishy!













Don't worry about the knot shapes, just try to keep them the same size, as for me too! Next time I will pay more attention to detail. Now, you are ready to cover the rolls, by using a clean kitchen towel to cover them loosely, for 1 additional hour.

Bake at 375 degrees F. for about 25-35 minutes, till they are nice, and golden brown on the top!




By this time, it was about 6:00pm. full lighting had to be used, which is not the lighting you want for your photos.
I thing the simple rack was  a perfect prop, over the lovely butcher block table, Delicious rolls, cooling, right from the parchment line baking pan, The rosemary, and Kalamata infusion flavors were totally incredible, and the rolls were perfectly crusted on the top, and just right texture, and flavor! Yumm!
...and this was my grandson Luca's sole creation (age 5)...Nemo, his favorite fishy! He ate the entire roll, with a big smile...shared very sparingly with his sister, and promised to make this again, next time. From play dough to real dough, my little ambitious helper, was on a "roll!"
Good practice for your child, or grandchild, to help you bake something, especially with real dough!
Have a wonderful Tuesday!

Enhanced by Zemanta

30 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

I go get some soup and come over for the lunch! ;-)) Love those cute knots!

Lyndsey said...

I remember baking bread with my grandma and I just remembered this when I read your post. She would make a yeast bread with candied fruits studded here and there and I forget what else. We each got to make our mini loaf.

I like props for photos, I am always on the lookout for them. I love vintage too, so many of my dishes are vintage and I try to show them when I can, and not all food is as pretty as the dish it's in. If the food is pretty then I like to use a plain plate. I like different angles of the food and setting. I have trouble using natual lighting, because I blog food that I actually use for dinner or bento lunches, which I make and it is still dark outside. So my breakfast posts are usually from weekend breakfast where we can eat when the sun is up. Plus dinner in the winter, the sun is usually already set! I really need to work on my lighting! But I love your props here and these rolls are stunning!!! Ha! You sound like me with the recipe though!

tori said...

Such beautiful photos. Inspirational stuff.

Junia said...

mmm i agree - natural lighting is the best. my blogging is based on the sunlight. hahaha. i love the olive rosemary knots! yummy :D

Biren @ Roti n Rice said...

Those rosemary olive knots look beautiful! I am sure they are very tasty too. Yeah, we all have those basic recipes that we adapt to our liking. That's the fun part about cooking :)

laurie said...

Beautiful rolls and back ground as well. I think presentation is important , we eat with eyes so they say, I beleive is true but back ground enhances the food as well. I think we could learn so much from the Japanese on this, we have a good friend from Japan and her creations for even the most humble quick lunch are so beautiful, taking time to honor the beautiful of the food visually first before tasting its beauty second.

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

Haha! Let's hope Jo will wear the cap and take a pic of herself! I would like to know how we can use props... People say anything at home and I go really?!?! Either I'm not creative or I have nothing nice enough to be in photography... I suck with props...I wish I can just take the pics of food and done with it. I "try" to style but I always wonder I'm doing too much that it looks not natural.. Your bread looks so beautiful and yummy! How do people (Inc you) control the portion you bake something yummy like these!?

Gizi said...

Nagyon finom lehetett ezzel az ízesítéssel a tekercs. Nagyon ügyes kis segítséged volt, tüneményes lehet a kis unokád. A képek pedig csodálatosak, olyan élethűek, hogy szinte érzem a finom illatát.:)

wanna said...

Nagyon szépek a tekercsek, szép az abrosz és a fotó is. A rozmaringos dolgokat imádom!
Én fontosnak tartom a photo props-t, nem mindegy szerintem miben-mit tálalunk, fotózunk, viszont az ételfotózás egy szakma, de attól mi még próbálkozhatunk.

Emma said...

Lovely photos Elisabeth.

In answer to your question - I prefer more minimalist food photography. One or two appealing props are just right I think and I love that you've included herbs and a pretty cloth in yours that work so well.

claudia @Whats Cookin said...

omg I love love love these I am going to make these as soon as I have a day off next year! WOWOWOW! YUM!xoxox

Patty said...

Elisabeth...they look amazing...I want one or two right now...

Shabs said...

The pics look really great and yeah natural light is important and I have been running around my house to get that :) . The rolls would be perfect with a nice hot bowl of soup esp for the cold nights . Have a look at Helene dujardi's Plate to Pixel , she's got some great tips on food styling and phtography .Take care Elisabeth , hugs :) .

Swathi said...

After seeing the recipe, I realized I am missing bread baking.Olive knots looks delicious. Nice info about props, which i miss always

Amelia's De-ssert said...

Elisabeth, as usual beautiful photos from you. I love the rosemary fragrant smell. Your knot bread looks very delicious, yummy.
Have a nice day.

Priya said...

Wonderful looking flavourful knots,yummy..

ping said...

Awww ... nemo got eaten :D
Those are so adorable, Elisabeth. Love olives. These would be perfect with a nice bowl of hearty soup..... yum! And a lovely batik piece you have there. So sweet of Jo to give that to you. A perfect Malaysian gift.

Katerina said...

This is such a beautiful combination of flavors! I love your little knots!

Gina said...

I want to see a photo of Jo in the cap. I'd say color balance is up there at the top too. I think the eye needs something to bounce off of. I love olives and bread and together, well just perfect. Hope you are having a great week. Come by and enter my give-away, I think the grandkids would like it.
-Gina-

Pachecopatty said...

Beautiful Rosemary and olive knots! I love the fresh Rosemary in your photos.
I agree The Modern Baker is a great cookbook, good one to add to a baking cookbook collection ;-). Hope you're having a nice week;-)

Mary said...

These are lovely. I love fresh rosemary and when it is combined with olives it is irresistible. I really like your recipe. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Chic & Gorgeous Treats said...

Hi Elisabeth! I constantly pop over your blog. It's on my to read list ;). Just that I am not so good in commenting all the time. I tend to read in silent and keep thoughts to myself. I am happy you like the Batik cloth I gave you. When I snap a photo of myself in the baseball cap, you ladies will get first hand to see it. That's for sure. I think the main focus here is your rosemary olive knots. I love the taste of olive and rosemary when incorporated into a bread. Delish and this is making me one some too. Perfect to go with a hearty warm soup. Definitely bookmarking this and trying it out when I get the time to cook again. Have a good week ahead dear friend. Hugggsss, Jo

Lizzy said...

Oh, yes, I'd gladly trade you some farro soup for your delectable rolls! In fact, I think I'll just leave this arctic chill and bring the soup down to you in sunny Florida! Your knots look fantastic...and what fun that Luca made them with you (love those sweet hands). Your photos look beautiful...and I love the fabric from Jo, too!! Have a great weekend!!! xoxo

Veronica's Kitchen said...

The cloth and the roll makes it looks so homely. Finding Nemo was my son's first movie to watch at cinema, and was his favourite character for a very long time.

Sonia (Nasi Lemak Lover) said...

This must be tasted very refreshing with rosemary which is one of my favourite herbs..nice knots!

Monet said...

Lovely rolls...especially the last one! These knots look too good, my friend. I hope you have a wonderful day and a restful weekend. Love from Austin.

Roxana GreenGirl {A little bit of everything} said...

I love the batik, i think it makes a pretty prop. And the rolls, oh, you know how much I love homemade rolls and these sound do good! Love your technique!

Katherines Corner said...

I use rosemary often in my recipes, these look delish. Hugs!

Kathy said...

Oh Elizabeth, These rolls look amazing! I love fresh baked bread...I have Nick's book and love the way he writes. Easy to follow recipes. So nice that you get to bake with your grandson. Lucky you! Have a great weekend my friend!

Amy said...

I need to make these for my Mom! She is obsessed with kalamata olives, and these rolls sound amazing! I have had that book before but I admit I skimmed over the savory and went for the sweet. I need to take a second look I guess ;)!