Monday, January 2, 2012

A New Year...a New You!

Yes, this is a New Year...and a New You...if you let it happen! I've been putting it off for the last 7 years and now, I've made the crucial decision! I want to be at my best, and I want to look amazing! ...that means, I have to lose 35 lbs...actually, 45 lbs! According to my daughter Lora, "how about 50 lbs?"...well, that means if I do lose 50lbs it would be my weight since high school! How many of you can really say you are at the same weight since high school?...I bet, not too many! As the years pass, the weight keeps creeping up...sad, but true!

We toasted to the New Year with a glass of nice pink Prosseco...








Had my bowl of  Hungarian/Italian style lentils made in the slow cooker...also, Lora's fabulous lasagne with the pumpkin, and the bechamel sauce...














Tonight...a large glass of Chardonnay (6 ozs.=2points) in the Weight Watchers system, and now...the Diet begins!


















I purchased this amazing Weight Watchers New Complete Cookbook...a 2006 edition, with fabulous recipes that are totally appealing, and delicious, and are perfect for today's lifestyle, if you are contiguously, thinking of healthier eating and making healthier choices...this is the best way to go about it! I actually bought this book at a favorite thrift store of ours, for $1.99 knowing that it retails for at least $32.00. Beautiful hard covered notebook, with the best, of the best light and easy recipes.

I joined Weight Watchers online, just since yesterday, and will probably have to sign up for their weekly meetings locally, in order to monitor, and maintain my weight loss! I already know my point system, and know how to figure out the points in order to lose weight, and I will be posting recipes from this book, for the next 90 days, and keep you posted of my weight loss results!
I made my own recipe, from 2 pieces of boneless chicken thighs, that I had in the freezer, to accompany with a nice dish of salad. The actual dish was 6 points, and I allowed myself 22 WW points in order to lose 35 lbs within the next 90 days!
Here's the recipe, I adapted my recipe from!


Southern Oven "Fried" Chicken

1/4 cup fat free buttermilk
1/4 cup cornflakes crushed
3 Tbsp all-purp flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
2 lbs. chicken parts, skinned
4 teaspoons canola oil

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a large baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
Pour the buttermilk into a large shallow bowl. On a sheet of wax paper, combine the cornflake crumbs, flour, salt, and pepper. Dip the chicken in buttermilk, then dredge in the cornflake mixture, coating completely. Place the chicken on the baking sheet; drizzle with the oil. Bake 30 minutes, then turn the chicken over. Bake until cooked through, 16-20 minutes longer.
Points value: 5


My version of my Boneless Baked Chicken Thighs...based on the WW recipe, using 2 boneless skinless chicken thighs, rubbed with Cajun Blackened spice, and 1 teaspoon each of extra virgin olive oil for the chicken thighs drizzled on, and dredge in 1/4 cup of Matzo Meal, also adding a dash of salt, and pepper. Bake in a 350 degree F. oven till crispy, and light brown for about 25-30 min. turning once. Serve it over a garden salad, topped with 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil, and white wine vinegar. Slicing the chicken, and serving it on top of the salad. Total points- 6


For my first day, I consumed 24 of my 22 allowed points, from breakfast to lunch, and dinner...not too bad for the first day! For breakfast, I had home made oatmeal with raisins, sweetened with Blue Agave organic nectar- 4 points. For lunch I had lentil soup from my huge pot of lentils, added more vegetable broth to make a nice soup- 4 points. For snack crackers, and peanut butter-3 points. Also, cashew peanuts for more snacks, another 2 points. I think I actually stayed within my point system, just have to keep a closer eye on it, and start to exercise, as well! Will keep you more informed of my progress!



Enhanced by Zemanta

30 comments:

ping said...

I bow to you. I can never do this. I've tried and usually by the fourth or fifth meal, I'm so craving for something wicked and POOF! the end of diet. Oh, don't forget to take a before and after pic.

Lyndsey said...

Good luck on your WW venture! What a great thrift store find...I was lucky to find Marcella Cucina, by Marcella Hazan for $5.00 at a thrift store just this weekend.

Junia said...

yay for a new year and healthy eating! i'm looking forward to your recipe posts :). and as for your friend, i hope he/she finds some healing soon. i know the pain so well. :T hugs to you!

Amelia's De-ssert said...

Hi Elisabeth, I wish you good luck in your weight loss program. Hopefully to see a new YOU with a high school figure in 3 to 6 months times.

Me.. too need to lose 20IBS, it keep going up and never come down past years since I stop aerobic.LOL
I'm starting my exercise program again and working very hard on it doing weight lifting, skipping, run on thread mill ( Which almost growing fungus at he corner of the room)
But food wise.... my itchy mouth hard to resist delicious dessert and cakes, hahaha

Have a nice day.

Chic & Gorgeous Treats said...

Way to go Elisabeth!! It's such a great idea to eat healthier. Just like PIng, I am a sucker when it comes to good food. So one moment I will have a slim sharper face and the next, a rounder face. LOL..Hugggss..

Emma said...

Good luck Elisabeth! I'm always trying to manage my weight because I've had a weight problem in the past so I know the feeling.

Just take one day at a time. Even losing 5kg (10 pounds in US I think?) makes me feel good.

And that healthy fried chicken recipe looks fantastic.

Beth said...

I could never get back to my high school weight, but I'd be happy with my university weight. I'm about 7 or 8 pounds away. And that wasn't pregnancy related, it's age related. Something about a post-45 weight gain....

Rosemary said...

Weight Watchers always gets kudos for being the best all around Weight Loss program. I'm doing some extra careful watching, too. The holidays, a bit of surgery, did me in. Now to get back on track. (Come see the Four Day Wonder Diet. It's intriguing!)

Pegasuslegend said...

Wow thats one hill to climb I just had to lose 10 and thought that was hard due to cholesterol lifelong problems. So eating different is the first step. I stopped drinking wine for good and still eat the same, I ended up figuring out the sugar in wine was too much so said goodbye... I know once you see results like me you'll do fine you are on the right road with this amazing dish....
Blogging didnt help having to taste everything we make either Happy New Year!

Jane said...

Congratulations on making your decision and taking some real concrete steps towards achieving your goal! You can do it, slow and steady is always the best way - no fad or crash diets! My husband lost 30 pounds last year - it wasn't easy, sometimes I think he would have liked to eat the stuffing in our chairs, lol!! But he got there - and so will you :)

Lizzy Do said...

I had to giggle at Lora's comment! LOL... daughters! Your chicken looks amazing, Lizzie, and I know you'll successfully reach your goal. All your blogger friends will be rooting for you!!! xo

Sutapa said...

Wish you all the best in your WL programme!
Wish you and all your loved ones A Very Happy New Year 2012!:)

The Mistress of Spices said...

Good luck!

Patty said...

The salad looks beautiful...and good for you!!!

Swathi said...

Elisabeth, Wishing you and family a happy and prosperous New Year. Good luck with weight loss program. Only after 6 months I have to think about them.

Swathi said...

By the way food looks delicious.

Gizi said...

Tiszta szívből kívánom, hogy sikerüljön elérned a kítűzött célt, és sikeres legyen a fogyókúrád. Köszönöm hogy megosztottad, és ezután is megosztod velünk a receptjeidet, így nekem is segítesz a fogyásban. Sajnos én is felszedtem néhány kilót, és csakis kitartás árán sikerül megszabadulnom tőlük. Nagyon tetszik ez a salátarecept, ötletet adott a holnapi ebédhez. Köszönöm.:)

Miz Helen said...

You can do it Elizabeth!!!! That chicken recipe looks really good after you gave it a little kick. I'll be cheering for you.
Miz Helen

Rosita Vargas said...

Muy saludable y exquisito un buen comienzo para un nuevo año,todo resulta cuando comemos saludable y fresco,abrazos y un feliz nuevo año para ud,hugs,hugs.

Sook said...

I've been wondering about weight watchers cookbooks. Do you like it a lot?

Angie's Recipes said...

The oven 'fried' chicken looks fantastic!
Eli, good luck with the WW diet!

Priya said...

Good luck with ur diet, you can do it Elizabeth, Happy new year wishes to u and ur loved ones..

Elisabeth said...

Thank you all, for your kind support in my WW challenge diet. I will keep posting the results. It you stick to a plan, it will work!
I started my plan on Jan. 2nd, and I lost 1lb in 2 days; and I know it's a weight loss because I did stick to my point system and ate healthy, good foods, including home made chicken soup. Soup is a good source to add to the diet, just as long as it's not too heavy.

Portion control is the KEY!

Sook- in answer to your question; yes, I do like this book...I really love it! It has all kinds of amazing recipes, and it's easy to follow a plan for the points system.

You can multiply calories for ea. food item by 80 to get the points!

Elisabeth said...

Actually, what I meant to say, if you know the calorie of a food item...divide by 80 to get your points. Or, multiply the point system by 80, to get the calorie amount!

Lyndsey-I am so happy for you that you found a Marcella Hazan book; she, is like an Italian Julia Child, from the sixties, and is actually living in S. Florida!

Amazon has such great used books online that are "dirt cheap" and most of them are like new, just like my thrift find books. It's the shipping charge that gets you! Better to look for thrift find good used books!

motherrimmy said...

Weight Watchers is a terrific plan. I know several people, including myself, who have lost significant weight using this plan. I hope you don't think I'm promoting my own blog here, but I do track Weight Watchers points for all my recipes. The salad looks delicious!

Kirsten@My German Kitchen...in the Rockies said...

Happy New Year. Hope I am not to late.
My very best wishes to you. I am also trying to restrict my calorie intake. Good luck with your diet!
Kirsten

Pacheco Patty said...

Congratulations on your decision to eat healthier in this new year. I will be following your recipes closely as I can always eat healthier myself! Weight Watchers is a good plan that really allows you to eat what you want in moderation with less fat, sugar etc. Take care and enjoy your new lighter self;-)

Kathy said...

I think it's great that you have decided to eat a healthier diet...You will lose the weight....I know it! I don't think I would want to be my HS weight...I was a skinny little kid in HS!

Roxana GreenGirl {A little bit of everything} said...

Happy New Year Elisabeth! I wish you a wonderful and prosperous year!
can't wait to read more about your WW progress. Sometimes I think I should join again, but I'm so so weak now with my baking ...

mangiabella said...

i'm with you bella, a new year a new you challenge is on, my husband and I have been sleeping more, started exercising again, and eating well, and we feel great!