Monday, August 5, 2013

Jelly Roll...Piskóta Tekercs


Jelly Roll, or Piskóta Tekercs ...pronounced as (Pishkota Tekerch) is, and has been truly a childhood favorite of mine and for a lot of years...also, my children are quite familiar with this awesome and light delicate cake that my favorite Hungarian aunt Mariska used to make on many occasions. My son insists that it is best filled with the smooth-as-silk chocolate filling, not just any old chocolate filling but the one that is like a mousse type and tastes like milk chocolate.
I did not take too good of a photo of it...it was an extremely stormy day over this weekend, I got soaked in the rain coming out of the supermarket yesterday afternoon...of course leaving my umbrella at the house. As you know our South Florida weather is very 'tricky'. It was somewhat a sunny/partly cloudy day earlier, and all of a sudden you get this 'flash storm' hit you out of 'nowhere' that lasts about an hour and it's all over with, and the weather clears up again~

I actually have this recipe in my head from years ago...very simple method...4 eggs, 1 cup of flour, 1 cup of sugar, but I do have the classic recipe in my 1986 Good Housekeeping book. I am so thrilled that I ordered the new version of the Good Housekeeping cook book from Amazon, it finally arrived.
The best way to order books is to choose the 'used' versions, especially when it is gently used...and 'like new'. This book is a 'dream'...seriously! The new price is $35. and used...$5.19 plus $3.99 shipping charge. The outer jacket cover is still on the book and it is amazingly new...just can't see any flaws at all.

Jelly Roll
adapted from the Good Housekeeping cook book
1986 edition

3/4 cup cake flour (I used 1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 eggs separated (at room temperature)
3/4 cup sugar (I used 1 cup)
Confectioners' (icing) sugar
1- 10 to 12 ounce jar jelly, or jam of your choice
(I used seedless blackberry jam)

Grease a 15 1/2 inch x 10 1/2 inch (I used a smaller size, size doesn't have to be exact)
Line pan with waxed paper, and set aside.
In a small bowl, mix cake flour (or all-purp. flour) baking powder and salt.  With electric mixer, beat egg whites until soft peaks form
(use the finger test if it adheres nicely to the finger, it's done) use 1/4 cup of sugar to add gradually while mixing. (I used 1/2 cup)









Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a large bowl,
with same beaters and with mixer at high speed,  egg yolks, vanilla extract and 1/2 cup sugar until very thick and lemon-colored (pale)






With rubber spatula, gently fold flour mixture and beaten egg whites into egg-yolk mixture.























Spread batter evenly in pan; bake 15 minutes or until cake is golden and top springs back when lightly touched with finger.






















Meanwhile, sprinkle clean cloth towel with confectioners' sugar. When cake is done, immediately invert cake onto towel.
Carefully peel waxed paper from the cake. If you like, cut off crisp edges.







Starting at a narrow end, roll cake with towel, jelly-roll fashion. Cool cake completely, seam side down, on a wire rack, about 30 minutes.












To serve, unroll cooled cake. Spread cake evenly with jelly. Starting from same narrow end, roll cake without towel. Sprinkle roll with confectioners' sugar; place seam side down, on a platter.


















I would like to announce the winner for the Red Gold Tomato Giveaway, which was determined by RANDOM.ORG ...number generator.

True Random Number Generator 2

Congratulations, Patty....and thanks to everyone who participated!
 
 

28 comments:

Chris Scheuer said...

I love to bake but have never made a jelly roll cake. Now I know I can do it! Thanks for a great tutorial! Seedless blackberry jam sounds like a wonderful filling!

Illéskrisz Konyhája said...

Örök és megunhatatlan. Nálunk ez a süti a legnépszerűbb. Gyorsan elkészül és a lekvár íze adja meg a lelkét. Nagyon szép a terítőd!

Patty Magyar said...

I can't even show this to Den...he will cry!

Böbe said...

Szép a terítőd nagyon! A sütid pedig csábítóan guszta. Hú de ennék is most egy szeletet belőle:))

Emma said...

Oh yum!!! I love swiss roll and jam filling is my absolute favourite. :):)

Éva said...

Nagyon guszta ! Szerintem ez mindenkinek kedvence. Mikor lányaim kicsik voltak képesek voltak 1 óra alatt apránként megenni mert annyira szerették.

trollanyu said...

De szeretjük mi is, örök kedvenc:) Én egész tojásból szoktam készíteni, nem verem fel külön a fehérjét, nekem így egyszerűbb:) Csodaszép a terítőd is, anyukámnak is volt ilyen mintája. Szép hetet kívánok Neked, puszi:)

Katalin said...

Mi is nagyon szeretjük, nekem sárgabarack lekvárral a legfinomabb :) Szépek lettek a fotóid róla! További szép nyarat....

Angie Schneider said...

A very beautiful biscuit roll, Elisabeth. I love how light, moist and soft it looks.

Laurie said...

this is my husbands favorite desert, I have only made it a couple of times and it never looked like yours, such a beautiful roll,

Kati said...

De szép:) S az alatta lévő terítő is:) Én még sosem készítettem ilyen tekercset, ki kell próbálnom:)

Priya Suresh said...

Gorgeous jelly roll, i dont hesitate a second to have some.

Swathi Iyer said...

These are beautiful Picture Elisabeth. I haven't succeed getting one, I will try your recipe.

Happy Valley Chow said...

Oooo that does look yummy! Definitely wouldn't mind slicing off a piece of that right now :)

Happy Blogging!
Happy Valley Chow

lena said...

i've never made these kind of rolls for a long time, we call it swiss roll here..always makes me nervous when rolling them, so afraid that the cake might split..ha!

Amelia said...

Hi Elisabeth, love your jelly roll. It look awesome, the texture too look very nice. Great to go with hot coffee. Thanks or sharing your wonderful recipe. Your embroidery table cloths look beautiful.

Congratulation to the winner. :))

Have a lovely week ahead. With lots of love and hugs to you.

Gina Stanley said...

I think your son had a brilliant idea with the mousse inside. I've been wanting to revisit a jelly roll for sometime, considering my last one was a flop. I think a little drizzle moved in over here. It's usually hotter than I don't know what around here this time of year, strange weather for sure. Hoping you are enjoying your summer.
-Gina-

Zsuzsa said...

I have to agree with your DS on the chocolate. That is all my grandma was allowed to fill the piskota with and old habits die hard. :-) Piskota is so lovely - it made me impervious to cake mixes. I used to think why people use them for birthday cakes, why don't they just make a piskota? Your photos are great they tell the story Elisabeth. Hope you are well my friend.

honey82 said...

Ciao Carissima!!!:-)
Come stai???
Stupendo il tuo rotolo..golosissimo,brava!!!!!!!;-)
Kissessss

Hankka said...

A férjem kedvenc sütije, nagyon guszta nálad! :)

Liz Berg said...

I adore jelly rolls! And the blackberry jam filling is both delicious and visually beautiful! I know my family would go to the mousse filled version :) Hope you're having a marvelous week, my friend!

Man Ridwan said...

Thank you for step by step recipe and pictures, Elisabeth,the rolls looks moist and soft,delicious :)

Phong Hong said...

Elisabeth, I love your Jelly Roll! The filling look very delicious indeed :)

Sissi said...

Elisabeth, I am impressed! How do you manage to make such elaborate cakes during the summer? Maybe rainy days help? On the other hand, no matter how bad the weather I'm too lazy even to try preparing such a beautiful roll.

Mr. & Mrs. P said...

What a yummy looking roll!! Divine!!

Deepti said...

Just stumbled upon your blog and these jelly roll looks absolutely delicious! Have a great weekend ahead.

Kathy said...

Gorgeous looking jelly roll, Elizabeth! So fluffy and light! Lovely photos!

Anita at Hungry Couple said...

I absolutely love jelly rolls but have never tried to make one. Just beautiful!