Thursday, June 7, 2018

Rakott Krumpli=Hungarian Layered Potatoes

As a child, growing up in Cleveland, Ohio, I have fond memories of traditional Hungarian classic dishes my mother used to make for us...bringing these 'hand me down' recipes with her from Hungary. I hesitated to make this dish for so many years...although I did make it here in S. Florida for my family and it turned out great. I don't recall using Hungarian Paprika, but when you can get the 'best' Paprika imported from Hungary...you know it's 'authentic'!
I've been absent from my blog for 3 weeks now, visiting my family in Cleveland, and not wanting to deal with their computer, and me not able to sign in to my own blog from my cell phone😐(just not acceptable!)...anyway, certain ethnically prepared dishes require the right spices, and ingredients, such as in this case the special Hungarian smoked sausage...you can 'omit' the paprika, but I chose not to!
As far as I'm concerned this is not the most photogenic dish, and I did google it to see others which have even worst photos than mine, but I must confess, this is soo very delicious if you are a 'potato' lover such as I...of course, you can omit the sausage, and make it 'vegetarian'...but it will have an entirely different taste. You can substitute with Polish kielbasa, which will also make it so good, but the smoked Hungarian kolbĂĄsz...Polish, Italian, or Croatian is the best used in this casserole! I will guide you through, step-by-step how to make this 'vintage, classical' dish, although you have to be cautious of your cholesterol because it is loaded with it, and very filling!
So, let's get started...

Rakott Krumpli=Hungarian Layered Potatoes
recipe source: Elisabeth

8 medium Idaho (baking potatoes)
8 large eggs, (hard boiled)
1 cup sour cream
salt, and pepper to taste
1 link of smoked sausage (abt. 1/2 lb.)
1/4 cup canola, or vegetable oil
1 teaspoon Hungarian sweet Paprika

Boil the potatoes in their skins, just not quite till soft (easier to peel that way and to slice and to bake)
Peel and slice the potatoes, just not too thin, about a quarter of an inch thick, so they don't crumble apart.

 In a large bowl, add them, and take a tablespoon or two of the oil, and also the salt and pepper, to mix carefully, and start layering them in the casserole dish. Also add the remaining oil to the sour cream and stir carefully.


Slice the hard boiled eggs, and layer them carefully over the potato slices.
Next step, slice the smoked sausage into 1/2 inch thick slices, you can remove the thin casings if you like, but in my opinion, the casing holds the slices together, and will not fall apart.











Layer them in one row over the sliced hard boiled eggs, and cover them with a generous layer of the sour cream (you can also add the layer of the sour cream in-between the potatoes and the layers of the eggs and sausage if you want more saucy finish)...although I only used a generous amount over the top, and sprinkled it with the paprika.






 Bake for 30-45 minutes on 350 degrees F. until it is nice and bubbling and top has a nice shine to it and you can see the individual potato slices.

Linking to: Full Plate Thursday #383

No comments: