Saturday, November 26, 2011

Hungarian Kifli and a Quiet Weekend

While other people were piling up outside, after Thanksgiving dinner at various locations for the famous Black Friday shopping, 24 hours before, I was glad to get home and just chill out after a huge Thanksgiving feast with friends and family. Whatever happened to just the plain old "day after Thanksgiving Sale?"...now it's BLACK FRIDAY!...pretty scary, especially when you have to camp out the day before...luckily, this year they opened the doors at some stores, as early, as 9:00pm on Thursday, and midnight, instead of 4:00am on Friday! Granted, the sales are incredible, 40 to 60% savings, is for sure a bargain. I saw a few incidence on the news last night about an irate customer that was going around with pepper spray...spraying his/ her opponents so they can't get the bargains that she was aiming for: she did get arrested, but that is "bizarre" ...think I'm just going to take advantage on the online shopping, and leave the stress behind!
The reason this is called Hungarian Kifli, which means "crescent"  in English, or "kipfel" in German The dough is either a yeast based type of dough or in this case, is dough that is combined with equal amount of butter, and cream cheese, combined with flour. No eggs used in this recipe. This is the basic dough for the famous Rugelach, as well! On the front row, they are filled with ground walnuts, raisins and apricot jam, and in the back row, shaped like the Rugelach, but slightly bigger, filled with Nutella, which was the kids' favorite!
I also made the fluffiest, and most amazing Sweet Potato Pie, at the same time, with homemade pie crust. Lora and I were able to work alongside at the same time...making pies, and other pastries. As you can see, I got the favorite butcher block table, and she had the entire granite top counter, which she likes to use.
 I did not get a chance to take hardly any photos at the dinner party, but did not want to miss the chance of my son-in-law's Chef Fabrizio's Vegetable Lasagna, that was a huge hit!

 Lora's Cranberry cake...light, and moist, not too sweet, absolutely delicious!


HUNGARIAN KIFLI

1/2 lb. unsalted butter  (cold)
1/2 lb. cream cheese (room temperature)
2 cups all purpose flour
dash of salt (1/2 teaspoon)

In a large food processor, add flour, salt, small pieces of butter, and cream cheese. Do not process, just pulse to combine, little by little, until dough is formed, so that
you can work together into a ball. Wrap in plastic, and refrigerate for a couple hours.




Cut the dough in half, and on a heavily floured work surface work separately, each dough into a disk. No need for plastic wrap to roll the dough.












As you can see, I rolled the dough into a rough circle, without the ease of plastic wrapper, since the dough is not sticky.








This is roughly, about a 12 inch circle.












When you fold the dough back, you can actually see, that the dough does not stick to the surface...you know, you have a nice pliable dough to work with, without the aide of plastic wrap in the top, and bottom!











While you're working your dough...in another room is another little "worker" working his Play dough!

(grandson, Luca)








For the walnut filling:

2 cups chopped walnuts
1 cup white raisins
1/2 cup apricot jam
1/4 cup orange juice
3 Tbsp. sugar

Mix all together in a medium bowl, Take half portion, (or entire portion) to process in a food processor. I use half portion. Spread half the amount, of the walnut mix, onto the dough, leaving about 2 inches of border.




Since I measure this to be a 12 inch circle, it came out to 12 portion of triangles cut. Filling was spread out more to the edge, after photo was taken.












Roll from the outside end, to shape into a crescent, and place on a parchment lined baking pan.














Kiflis nicely stacked up in a row, and ready to be baked.













Before baking the Kifli, brush egg wash over them.
(crack 1 egg, add a Tbsp. water, and mix)


The Kifli doesn't have to be perfectly shaped, as you can see in the photo, as long as it's rolled up, in shaped into a crescent=kifli...that's all that matters. It's the quality of the dough and the filling that makes the difference.





Bake at 350 degrees F. for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown. Makes 2 dozen, large Kifli, or up to 4 dozen, if you make smaller ones. ( In that case, you would have to divide dough in 3 portions, instead of 2)











I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving with your loved ones, and friends. We have so much to be thankful for in our country. Every morning when you wake up, and know you have peace, and not war, and extreme poverty in this land, knowing that our troops are out there in another land fighting for us, when they should be all returned, just know that you are safe...we are thankful for them! Do as much as you can for your family, your friends, and for your country, to make a difference. Let's all care for one-another, and keep our environment, and our land free, and safe! God Bless you all! Have a wonderful weekend!
Enhanced by Zemanta

31 comments:

Jacqueline said...

Mmmmmmmmm! I can't think how else to describe looking at those. Mmmmmmmmm :P

Amelia's De-ssert said...

Hello Elisabeth, all your goodies....excellent and so tempting. I help myself with 1 slice each..
Thanks for the step by step Kifli, shall try it out one of this day. Looks really good.
Have a beautiful weekend. *hugs*

wendyweekendgourmet said...

Those look SO GOOD...sort of like rugelach's cousin!! Glad you had a wonderful Thanksgiving, sweet friend! It's always a blessing to spend the holidays with family and friends.

Rosemary said...

I have made rugelach before and loved them but I have to try these kifli! With nutella! Both the ssweet potato pie and the lasagna look fabulous. I would've have a food coma from those. (And I'm internet shopping, too!)

Angie's Recipes said...

HA! I love those kifli! I must bake some for my husband as he loves all sorts of kipfeln, not to mention those are filled with nuts!
Vegetable lasagna looks out of this world delicious!
Have a relaxing weekend!
Angie

laurie said...

a uiet weekend sounds just right, those look like a good partner for my tea, and the pie is lovely,

Petra said...

Tetszik ez a recept! Nagyon gusztusos lett!

Vicuska said...

Diós töltelékkel imádnivaló!!!!! Hálaadás: Hálát adni annyi, mint köszönetet mondani. Kifejezni, elismerni, értékelni azt az érzést, hogy amivel rendelkezünk, amink van, azért hálásak vagyunk ...

Jill Colonna said...

Gosh, now I understand this Black Friday I've been seeing. That does sound rather scary - no wonder you would prefer to stay at home, curled up with these gorgeous kifli. They look incredible!

wanna said...

Nagyon nagy és szép munka ez a kiflikészítés, az eredmény pedig magáért beszél! A részletfotók, pedig nagyszerűek, ezek alapján aki veszi a "bátorságot" hozzáláthat. Csodás és finom.

Veronica's Kitchen said...

I would love to try your kifli, it sounds really delicious. The feast of your thanksgiving is nice, too. I went to my first thanksgiving party at my American friend's place last night. We had traditional dinner with roast turkey, ham and roasted vegies, sitting down with sliver wares and tablecloth followed by pumpkin pie. That was a nice celebration!

claudia @whats cookin said...

I love this cookie, what a great job you did!

Maika said...

that veggie lasagna looks amazing :)

Lyndsey said...

Hi Elisabeth, it's so nice to see some of your holiday. I am loving these special treats. I will have to try making them. I want to make some of my mom's Christmas Dutch pastry banket, but she won't be here in Florida until Feb. I might have to do it with her on the phone. :)

We went to my aunt and uncle's house for Thanksgiving, just a small group (everyone else is out of state). Tomorrow is my daughter's 17th birthday and we are taking her and some friends out on the boat! Should be interesting!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Bianka said...

Most szívesen elfogadnék belőle

Krisztina konyhája said...

Nagyon finomnak tűnik, jöhetne egy kis kóstoló :)

My Home Diary in Turkey said...

wow.. I love snack like this. and you make it seem easy to try.. thx for sharing dear.
xoxo

Shabs said...

Oooooooh , I am so ....so.... hungry looking at your pics , really drool worthy dishes Elisabeth *slurp*.

mangiabella said...

Oh Elisabeth your Kifli looks fantastic!!! A piece of art!!!! and I am completely drooling over your son in laws vegetable lasagna, that is the most gorgeous lasagna I have ever seen.....if I could order some right now I would LOL!!!! I stayed home this weekend, and spent peaceful relaxing quality time with the familia. We sipped rich coffee and listened to Christmas music as we put up the Christmas Tree, we snuggled with books and blankets and later a few movies....the mad frenzy of pushing and shoving from desperate shoppers is simply not for me. hugs bella!

Gina said...

I never did like shopping the day after Thanksgiving, but when I heard people here got robbed for their purchases when shopping late at night, that forever sealed the deal for me. We had a great weekend with family and all the kids home. These cookies would have made it even better. Can't wait to start cookie baking. So glad you had such a great holiday.
-Gina-

egycsipet said...

Tetszik a menü, a lasagna különösen csábító, finom lehet! Na és persze a kiflik, remek darabok!

Helyes az unokád, hogy ott játszik, nyüzsög melletted. :)

the Junkie book said...

you sorta lose track of all the special days nowadays.
yours is such a cook-on family...can guess how much fun it could be! all those treats look more than a bite worth!
jus snatched a breather from some enjoyable work i been busy with; am only working on my next post Elisabeth!

Junia said...

wow everything looks and sounds delicious. i think i would like the nutella spread the best too :). can you post the recipe for his veggie lasagna?!

Dulce Dough said...

What fabulous food! I have never had Kifli, but it sounds so good. It is interesting that the dough has cream cheese in it.

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

Hi Elisabeth, I'm touched by your last sentence and I will try hard to do that. What matters most in life is family and friends after all. I LOVE your kifli and I enjoy following your step by step photos. I love your grandson being busy while you bake in the kitchen. I can already feel the warm atmosphere in your home!

Lizzy said...

Lizzie, your kifli look amazing. I have never made rugelach, but now seeing your wonderful, workable dough, I want to make either one of these yummy treats! You made the right choice on Friday...we both love a bargain, but the craziness has gotten ridiculous! I love all the delicious dishes that were part of your Thanksgiving feast, too. xo

Swathi said...

Delicious, Love to get a bite of cranberry cake. Glad that you had a wonderful thanksgiving with family.

Parsley Sage said...

Your sweet potato pie looks just perfect! Like the epitome of sweet potato pies :) WANT!

Becky said...

Elisabeth-Thank you for your tutorial on making the kifli. I like that the dough is workable, so even I could make these. Looks like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving feast.

I did venture out on Black Friday tat 4:30am to Kohls, but it was fairly emppty at that time. I missed the midnight rush, and got got deals besides.

Roxana GreenGirl {A little bit of everything} said...

we have something like this in Romania, we called them "cornulete" sort of crescents. I remember when we were kids my grandma would make these using lard instead of butter. Even now, although I have made lots of sweet treats I find the ones using lard much better. They have a soft melt in your mouse crumb hard to match by butter.
Anyhow, your kifli look amazing! Thanks for sharing the Hungarian way :)

Kathy said...

Elizabeth, So glad you posted this recipe. They look amazing! I always thought kifli were made with the nuts mixed into the dough, like a Russian tea cake. This reminds me of rugelagh. I can't wait to give them a try. Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Your son in laws lasagna looks fabulous!!
Bizarre is not the word for this craziness that some people participate in. Where is our humanity? Pepper spray...REALLY!