Friday, April 12, 2013

Paula Deen's Old Fashioned Baked Ham

Like I said...I don't have any way of uploading photos now, until I resolve this issue with my camera; which happens to take awesome pictures...just do not have the capability any longer to upload the photos to my file. I have to rely on my daughter to use my memory card to insert into her camera to upload...and she does not have the time, to bother with my photos...as you can see, I'm just catching up with some Easter food photos. Well, not so bad, a little behind...by this summer I will have caught up with all.

Old-Fashioned Holiday Glazed Ham

Cook Time: 30 minutes

Ingredients

1 spiral-sliced half ham (Paula prefers Smithfield)

(I used a whole regular ham, about 10 lbs.)
1 20-ounce can pineapple slices, juice
reserved
15 to 20 whole cloves (optional)
1 small jar maraschino cherries
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
2 tablespoons yellow mustard
Directions

Preheat the oven as directed on the ham package and follow the instructions for baking the ham. Remove the ham from the oven about 30 minutes before the end of the warming time.

Decoratively arrange the pineapple slices on top of the ham, securing them with whole cloves, if using, or toothpicks. Place a cherry in the center of each pineapple ring and secure with a clove or toothpick.

In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, mustard and just enough of the reserved pineapple juice to make a thick glaze. Spoon the glaze over the ham and bake for the remaining 30 minutes. Remove the ham from the oven, transfer to a cutting board and carve.


By next Easter, I will be way ahead of the game, and will include these photos and recipes for the Easter Menu Suggestions. These Deviled eggs are so, utterly simple...just wish I could have piped the filling with my @home basic piping bag and decorating tube, but unfortunately for this type of thicker filling a professional piping bag would be more suitable, which is on my list of things I need.

New Potato Salad With Dill

TOTAL TIME
2 hours (including cooling)

Ingredients

Preparation

1.
Place the potatoes in a saucepan, cover with cold water, bring to a boil, cover and reduce the heat to low. Cook until the potatoes are just tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and quarter the potatoes, taking care to keep the skins on.
2.
Place the potatoes in a bowl, season lightly with salt and pepper and gently toss with two tablespoons of the vinegar and one tablespoon of the oil. Set aside until cool.
3.
Mix the remaining vinegar with the mustard until well blended. Beat in the oil. Pour over the cooled potatoes and gently mix. Add the scallions and dill, season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.
YIELD
4 to 6 servings 
source: NEW YORK TIMES
I would like to share with you both recipes, the simple Deviled Eggs, and the Potato Salad, which does not use mayo, but a light vinaigrette with the yellow new potatoes.

Deviled Eggs Recipe 

  • Cook time: 30 minutes

Ingredients

  • 1 dozen eggs
  • 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
  • 1/3 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 Tbsp minced onion or shallot
  • 1/4 teaspoon tabasco
  • Salt and pepper
  • Paprika

Method

1 First hard boil the eggs. (See how to make hard boiled eggs.) Fill up a large saucepan half-way with water and gently add the eggs. Cover the eggs with at least an inch of water. Add a teaspoon of vinegar to the water (this will help contain egg whites from leaking out if any of the shells crack while cooking). Add a pinch of salt to the water. Bring the water to a boil. Cover, and remove from heat. Let sit covered for 12-15 minutes. Drain hot water from pan and run cold water over the eggs. (At this point if you crack the egg shells while the eggs are cooling, it will make it easier to peel the shells.) Let sit in the cool water a few minutes, changing the water if necessary to keep it cool.
2 Peel the eggs. Using a sharp knife, slice each egg in half, lengthwise. Gently remove the yolk halves and place in a small mixing bowl. Arrange the egg white halves on a serving platter.
deviled-eggs-1.jpgdeviled-eggs-2.jpg
3 Using a fork, mash up the yolks and add mustard, mayonnaise, onion, tabasco, and a sprinkling of salt and pepper. Spoon egg yolk mixture into the egg white halves. Sprinkle with paprika.
Yield: Makes 2 dozen deviled eggs
source: Simply Recipes
On my last post, I shared with you the beautiful sunrise...this post I will share with you the most awesome sunset, which is on the Intracoastal Waterway side, facing west. A beautiful water view, and a picturesque side-walk...not in photo, just across my condo apartment. Both sunrise, and sunset photos are on the water...my place is literally on the island of Palm Beach, divided by two bodies of waters, the Intracoastal Waterway, and the Atlantic Ocean.
You have to be ready to catch the sunset at the perfect time...otherwise you are going to miss out on the magical moment, just as it is setting!
Have a wonderful  weekend, my dear friends! xoxo
Enhanced by Zemanta

26 comments:

claudia lamascolo said...

Awesome photo and so glad to see this post! Your deviled eggs look over the top delicious!

Rosita Vargas said...

Es una tentación al paladar todo está de lujo me encanta,abrazos y abrazos.

Happy Valley Chow said...

Now that is my kinda meal! Definitely a classic looking ham, yummy!

Happy Blogging!
Happy Valley Chow

Juliana said...

Beautiful meal Elisabeth...love ham with fruits and the sunset pictures are absolutely breathtaking.
Have a great weekend :)

Kavitha @ Foodomania said...

Lovely looking Ham!! :)

Kati said...

Isteni mindkét étel, azok az ananászkarikák nagyon csábitóak, és a töltött tojások is.

trollanyu said...

Csodásan néz ki az a sonka, olyan vidám, színes, de a tojások és a krumplisaláta is nagyon csábító. Gyakran fotózok én is napfelkeltét és naplementét, nagyon szeretek gyönyörködni benne, ezek is fantasztikus fotók az óceánnal:) Remélem megoldódik a problémád a fényképezőgéppel hamarosan és többet jelentkezel, nagyon szép hétvégét kívánok neked is Elisabeth, puszi:)

Emma said...

Lovely to see you back Elisabeth!

Gorgeous recipes as always, your potato salad is similar to mine as I don't really care for mayo that much in potato salad.

I know I've probably said it heaps of times but you live in such a lovely place! Such pretty sunset photos with the reflection of the moon on the water :)

Hope your camera gets fixed soon. And thanks for the tip about peeling boiled eggs, I always have trouble peeling them for some reason!

Katalin said...

Az ananászos sonka finom különlegesség lehet, nagyon jó a kép róla.
A naplemente is csodás :)

Judit + Corina @WineDineDaily said...

Kedves Elisabeth, the ham looks just gorgeous! Florida has even more beautiful sunsets then here in Southern Califronia and you captured it perfectly.
Sok puszi,
Judit

Angie Schneider said...

Fantastic sunset photos, Elisabeth.
I can't believe that you made that stunning baked ham at home!! I sure can't do that...the egg and potato salad looks mouthwatering.
Enjoy your weekend!
Angie

Michael Toa said...

That is one beautiful piece of ham! And I adore dill in potato salad. Absolutely delicious. Enjoy your Sunday Elisabeth!

Zsuzsa said...

Elisabeth you must be looking forward to a new camera! Thanks for posting the ham, it looks lovely, just the way we used to make it here too. I don't know if you remember, Hungarians boil the Easter ham and they cook the eggs in the same pot [with the ham]. I have never done that, because the required fully smoked country ham is definitely not available where I live.

Phong Hong said...

Elisabeth, I am loving the ham and devilled eggs! So scrupmtious, and oh I love the potato salad too! I must try your devilled eggs recipe because I love eggs :) And that sunset, gorgeous!

Maureen | Orgasmic Chef said...

I love those photos at the bottom. I moved to Australia from Cocoa Beach and my condo was on the waterway side.

That ham screams dinner pleasure to me.

Ridwan@Riceandcoconut said...

Everything looks yummy,especialy the potato salad,and yes amazing sunset pictures :)

Kathy said...

Elizabeth, Your ham and deviled eggs look spectacular. And your sunset photos are amazing!! Glad to see you posting!
This is something you may not be aware of...In the past I had a card reader that worked very well for uploading photos. Here is a google search for readers…they are not very expensive and should help with your problem.

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=card+reader+for+camera+memory+card&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking said...

That is such a gorgeous ham! I'll be pinning your recipe for my next excuse to make one. Your deviled eggs look delish, too! Love the addition of Tabasco - mmm!

Sissi said...

There is nothing better with young potatoes than a generous handful of dill and a spoon of slowly melting butter, so I love your salad recipe. The deviled eggs look delicious, but the ham is the real star! I have never baked my own ham and I'm sure yours must have been unforgettable.

lena said...

hi elisabeth, hope all is well with you. I've never tried cooking a whole block of ham but this certainly looks delicious, so are the potato salad. I wished i was near you to catch that beautiful sunset!

cheap nfl jerseys said...

That is such a gorgeous ham! I'll be pinning your recipe for my next excuse to make one. Your deviled eggs look delish, too! Love the addition of Tabasco - mmm!

Chic & Gorgeous Treats said...

This is a gorgeous looking ham Eli! I love how perfect it looks. I know my family will love this. Thanks for coming over to check up on me. I had been away on a vacation with the family and am back catching up with work and food blogs. Hopefully I will get to blog soon again. Till then, take care and keep on churning out those delicious meals that you ever do so well. ♥ ♥ ♥ Jo

wanna said...

Tényleg szuper ez a "fényezett" sonka, de a krumplisaláta és a tojások nagyon jól néznek ki. Én is szeretem a kaprot a a burgonyával, és még sok mindennel. Egyik kedvenc fűszerem.

Kitcheninspirations said...

Try replacing the cord, I had my cord fail and it was a cheap and easy fix!
The ham looks delightful.

Amanda said...

the baked ham looks delish!

honey82 said...

..come sempre,bravissima!!!!! :-)))
Happy sunday darling
Kisses :-*