Monday, January 31, 2011

Hungarian Style Cannelini Bean Soup

You can never get tired of eating home made soups...especially, nutritious bean soups of any kind. I love all kinds of  beans, you name it.This one is a childhood favorite of mine, that my mother used to make, I really don't have a set recipe for the soup, I just know the basics of this, and other ones, and follow through with either a meaty version, which would consist of smoked pork shoulder, which I tend to stay away from these days, and opt for the vegetarian version of this wonderful Cannelini Bean soup, Hungarian style, using sweet, or hot authentic Paprika. At any rate the recipe/method is quite easy, and everyone in the family loves it!

Hungarian Style Cannelini Bean Soup
my own recipe

1 14 oz, bag of dry Cannelini beans, Great Northern beans or any white beans
1 32 oz vegetable broth
1 whole onion quartered
3 whole carrots, scraped and cut into chunk size pieces
3 stalks celery cut into chunk size pieces
3 stalks parsnips, scraped and cut into chunk size pieces
3 whole cloves of garlic peeled, and left whole
2 stalks of celery cut into large chunks
salt and pepper to taste
3 dry bay leaves
1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp. Hungarian paprika
2 Tbsp. all purpose flour
1 handful of fresh parsley chopped

First thing first, fill a 3 1/2 quart size of a heavy duty pot with the washed and rinsed beans, add them to the pot with the vegetable broth, and more if needed, adding water to the pot. Add the quartered onions, the bay leaves, garlic, salt and pepper. Bring the beans in the broth, and adding more water if needed to the top of the pot...bring it to a boil, At this point, you can add all the vegetable chunks, and mix a roux, consisting of the flour, oil, an paprika in a measuring cup, with about half a cup of water. Mix the flour, the oil, and the paprika together, whisking it until smooth, and add it to the broth with the beans. Bring it to a boil, and let it simmer, until the soup gets nice and thick and the beans are cooked till it gets soft, but not falling apart. Takes about 45 minutes to cook till it gets nice and thick.
In the meantime, you can cook up some spaeatzle, which I have, to add to the soup, or you can cook up some ditalini pasta, or noodles of your choice. At any rate, you will end up with an amazing vegetarian bean soup.
Serves 6.
note:
you can do a short cut, by going through the whole process, with the broth and vegetables, eliminating the dry beans, and instead, adding canned beans at the end of the cooking process. The choice, is yours!


So sorry about the confusion, thanks to my friend,Kavita for bringing to my attention about the override of the letters...on my Firefox page it did not show it that way, but when I clicked from the Internet Explorer it was one big "mumble jumble" because my list of the Award was way too long..he, he, ...see? I'm trying to get all the ladies who follow me, in the Sisterhood Award, but I was running out of space. In the meantime, enjoy a nice slice of home made pizza, that my daughter made the same evening. You will have to get the recipe from her, for that...she is only posting cakes, and desserts these days...
after all, that's why she's the Cake Duchess!
This is a  homemade pizza, with anchovies on half side, and she used fresh organic mozzarella topping, and oh, yes, fresh tomato sauce. My granddaughter bit into the anchovy by mistake, and nearly choked on it...couldn't spit it out fast enough, gagging, coughing, running to the bathroom to spit it out and rinse out her mouth...some Italian/Calabrese/Sicilian/Hungarian/American girl she is!...but she does like Hungarian paprika, she actually liked the soup, but she hates olives...sheesh!...I'm still working on my Award list...Just track back to the previous post to check for your name on the list!


21 comments:

Mrs K said...

Excellent recipe,Elizabeth:)BTW you introduced me to Hunagrian paprika,and I recently got mine from Trader Joe's:) The pizza looks scrumptious and loved the way the mozzarella has melted,it is making me drool.I am not a big fan of anchovy :( I can completly understand her plight on biting into one by mistake:(

Swathi said...

Delicious soup Elizabeth.The pizza looks awesome. nice cheesy ones.

aipi said...

Perfect dinner for these cold evenings..loved that great looking pizza too..cheesy n yum :)

US Masala

Pegasuslegend said...

Pizza and my favorite style bean soup... great photo's again I am so jealous, two hours away, I am leaving now for a slice save me some! lol love it!

Debbie B. said...

The soup looks tasty and nice and healthy! I need to try this one!! :)

Kelsey said...

Sounds delicious, and I LOVE soups!

Eva said...

That soup sounds fantastic, and healthy too! Nice and warm and comforting for the cold weather the world seems to be having lately. There's just something about soft beans in a hot soup that makes you feel all nice and cozy.

Monet said...

Smile. I love both of you ladies. Lora has been such a blessing in my life...and you have too! Your soup looks healthy, hearty and delicious. Thank you for sharing such a satisfying recipe with me. I hope you have a safe and warm day tomorrow...we're about to get very cold in Austin!

mangiabella said...

I couldn't agree more, you can NEVER get tired of homemade soups, this looks particularly delish, perfect for staying cozy in the cold weather sweeping across the nation! hugs to you from the southwest :)

mangiabella said...

p.s. I have no idea why my feedburner is not updating my current post with the thumbnail image - it still shows a post from 2 months ago....so strange!!!! have a glorious evening bella adore!

Angellove's Cooking said...

What a great soup recipe, Elizabeth!! Looks so tasty and comforting!! Thanks for sharing with us! Oh, and :) I'd like to get some pizza also...

Priya Sreeram said...

heart &n comforting ! looks perfect !!

MaryMoh said...

I love cannelini beans. I need to use them more. Love your soup. Looks very healthy and delicious. Would be perfect for this cold weather. Thanks very much for sharing. MaryMoh at http://www.keeplearningkeepsmiling.com

Bianka said...

Csorog a nyálam, remek finomságok

Priya said...

Woww soup makes me hungry, soo comforting;.

Angie's Recipes said...

The bean soup! wow I miss it a lot...been eating lots of lentils soup though. Perfect to eat with some cheesy pizzas.

Mateja ^_^ said...

You have an award waiting for you: http://bit.ly/fE7iqT
Mateja @Indulging Life

Mother Rimmy said...

I love seeing all the soups on my favorite blogs. Bean soups are tops on my list. Full of fill-you-up fiber, so they stick with me for hours before I'm hungry again. Perfect for this time of year when I'm taking off those holiday pounds. This soup looks delicious!

Kristi

kitchenmorph said...

wow great pics and quiet evenings. we've a beach close by but not yet found restful time for a walk :(

Magic of Spice said...

This is a seriously delightful soup...you know I can go crazy over fresh beans and soups :) I am not sure if I had already known Lora was your daughter? But oddly enough I have her site up on my browser to bombard, I mean catch up with next:)

Sabby said...

You are just coming up with great recipes every time i get to browse your blog....just amazing!!! I love seashells and collecting them. looking for beaches here in Sydney for such great stuff. Not been lucky as yet though....
Yeah, i already have your blogger award(s) up on my blog....have a look...