Thursday, February 3, 2011

Brown Sugar-Glazed Salmon

Is there anyone that does not like salmon?...Salmon is low in calories and fat, and high in protein. It is a power food.. It's  high in Omega 3 fats. High consumption of Omega 3's are associated with lower cholesterol and lower blood pressure....but this does not apply to your little ones, who only enjoy the salmon, as in this one, if it has a nice sweet brown sugar glaze. My daughter loves to buy all sorts of foods at Whole Foods, which I really love, as well. They carry the best of the best health foods, organic foods, and all kinds of fresh sea foods, as in fresh Alaskan wild sockeye salmon.

Brown Sugar-Glazed Salmon
my own recipe


1 1/2 lb. Whole Salmon
salt and pepper to taste
4 Tbsp. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar

Place salmon in aluminum lined foil line baking pan. Make sure you spray, or grease the pan, before placing the salmon. Set oven temperature to 425 degrees F. You can
spread half of the glaze on the salmon, and bake for about
7 minutes covered, with the glaze mixture. Uncover, spread
the remaining glaze, and bake for an additional 5 minutes, until
top gets a nice, and shiny glaze. Serves 4.

note: after salmon is done, you can easily portion it out!

Sauteed Organic Kale

1 large bunch of Kale,
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 onion chopped
2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
Juice of 1 lemon

No brainer, for this vegetable. All you have to do, is to wash it and chop the coarse stem, and the leaves into bit size pieces. Boil it in water for about 10 minutes...afterwards. saute in extra virgin olive oil, and chopped garlic. Serve over rice.







Enhanced by Zemanta

31 comments:

Melynda said...

That salmon looks stunning and I am sure tastes great! I love salmon, but it is very expensive here.

Monet said...

I adore salmon...and whole foods! We have the flagship location here in Austin, and I visit at least once a week. Thank you for sharing yet another delicious recipe. I hope you have a fabulous Friday and a relaxing weekend!

Biren said...

What a healthy meal on a plate...salmon and kale! Great contrast of colors too!

Shabs said...

wowowow nice vibrant colors , the salmon looks beautiful .

Priya said...

Omg, very tempting and delicious salmon..

Michael Toa said...

I adore salmon and this looks utterly delicious Elisabeth. I'm planning my meals for next week and this is going in the list.
Have a wonderful weekend. Michael

mia maria said...

I like salmon and yours looks delicious!

Bianka said...

Csodálatos, nagyon guszta

egbkid said...

I love salmon, always looking for new things to do with it, and this sauce looks great! Thanks for sharing!!

My Kitchen in the Rockies said...

That is exactly my kind of dinner- wild caught Alaskan salmon, delicious! We had some last night, too. Thanks for the new recipe idea!
Kirsten

Swathi said...

This looks delicious

Angie's Recipes said...

wow I am a sucker for salmon and yours prepared with brown sugar glaze looks marvelous!
Have a wonderful weekend!
Angie

Brenda said...

Elisabeth, you have the best salmon recipes! I had salmon with kale a few weeks ago and it was fabulous. Your dish looks scrumptious!

Michelle Smith said...

Are you able to get your hands on some Atlantic Salmon? There is a distinct difference in flavour between the Pacific and Atlantic. I usually buy salmon trimmings which are so much less expensive than the portions.

Emma said...

Right, I've printed this out. I literally just drooled on my keyboard, I love sweet glazed salmon. Loving the kale and rice also, lovely fresh meal.

Annie said...

I guess I'm that weird one with mixed feelings about salmon. I don't care for it much cooked. Love me some lox or sushi though. In any case my husband would love this and I have to say that the picture is gorgeous!

Angela said...

So pretty. I love the kale. I dream of someday having a Whole Foods nearby.

honey82 said...

Dev'essere delizioso Cara amica,bravissima!!!!;-)
Un mega kiss*

Carolyn said...

I do love salmon (my kids are hit or miss on it!), but sadly, I can't do your brown sugar glaze. It's so lovely, I wish I could. Fortunately for diabetic me, salmon is so good in many, many ways!

Angellove's Cooking said...

I am not a fish lover :) but your Salmon looks so stunning, that I might change my mind :))) Great job, Elisabeth - as always!!!!

Cucina di Barbara said...

I am very fish person! this recipe is very healthy .
We should eat it at least 2\3 times a week!
thanks for sharing this:)
Have a nice week end, Barbaraxx

Mrs K said...

Salmon is my favorite too:)The sockeye brought back sweet memories from Ketchikan Alaska's Tribal fish Hatcheries,our guide taught us an easy way to remember the 5 pacific salmon varieties on our hand,here goes : Chum is your thumb,pink is your pinkie,silver is your ring finger,sockeye is your index finger & king is your middle finger. I love this combination of Salmon with lightly sauted kale in olive oil & garlic. I will make this very soon. Sorry the comment is become verrrry long :( have a great weekend,Elizabeth:)!!!

Miz Helen said...

Hi Elizabeth,
It is so nice to meet you thank you so much for stopping by. I came just at the right time to have some of your wonderful Salmon and Kale...it just looks so delicious.I am looking forward to seeing more of you in the future. I am now your follower.
Best Wishes,
Miz Helen

Krisztina konyhája said...

Your salmon looks delicious. I love kale too.
Ezúton szeretném megköszönni a kedves díjat, nagyon örültem neki.
Have a nice day :)

♥Sugar♥Plum♥Fairy♥ said...

Oh Salmon sounds wonderfully healthy and u have made it soo deliciously here!
And the Kale rocks together too!
I wold totally love to shop at whole foods too:-)

mangiabella said...

that glaze looks simply divine....thanks for sharing this beautiful dish bella!

Chef Dennis said...

I have to admit that I do not like salmon....sigh...there I said it, but the way you prepared it I think I could eat it, especially with the kale...what a wonderful contrast of flavors...I'll have to give that glaze a try!
Hope your weekend is going well
Dennis

Green Girl said...

how cool is that, i was to whole foods last night and bought some salmon :))
yours look so good. love the addition of kale, such a delicious and healthy meal.
have a wonderful Sunday Elisabeth

Anna C said...

The glaze on the salmon just drew me in. You've put together not only a delicious healthy meal but also visually appealing.

Hilda said...

Mmmm... I´ve never tried with brown sugar-glazed & it looks dlicious. Thankyou very much.

(Nunca probé con un glseado de azucar moreno y se ve delicioso. Muchas gracias)

Kisses from Spain-Europe

Michael Toa said...

Elisabeth, I cooked the salmon for lunch today and it was so delicious. I put the link to the recipe on my blog. Thank you.