Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Learn To Cook: How to Make Fresh Pasta (Homemade Fettuccine)



"Get to the chase"...a favorite saying of mine! OK we're there! I have these photos of some of the process in my fresh pasta making from a few months ago, and decided to do a post on it. Instead of showing the video at the end, it showed up on the actual beginning, by googling ...'how to make fresh pasta' to show you, instead of me explaining step-by-step!

So, this is my pasta sheets without seeing the video, but now I see my mistake where I should've cut the pasta strips straight across to make even to feed into the machine...but, no worries, it still worked feeding it into the machine to stretch the dough out to the right consistency.

Homemade Pasta from 2010, and other memories!


When you finish the pasta strips, you are ready to stack them into little nests and let them dry like that...no need to hang them on a rack, unless you make a lot and plan to freeze them, which is way too much work. Just make enough for one serving, enough for 4-6, which is plenty. I actually made a double batch recently when we had family visiting from Italy!

Pasta Fresca...versus Pastasciutta...that is the question?

Fresh, or dry pasta...should not even be the 'question', because there is no such question here in the U.S. asking, which one you prefer to eat. Hahh?...why would you even want to ask...only in Italy they ask; as far as I remember it wasn't like that 30 or so, years ago! Either way, you have to boil both type of pastas and serve them topped with sauce of your choice! When I first heard that term a few years ago...'Pastasciutta'...literally, 'dry pasta'...now why are you asking me if I want to eat 'dry pasta'!?...so insane, so not correct...we all know you're not gonna run into the kitchen at that point and start making a batch of 'fresh pasta' if that is what I would prefer to have...so why are you asking me if I would like to eat Pastasciutta! OK, I made my point, I think...go figure, only in 'Italy'! Mangia, mangia ! Basta parole! (enough words)
Pastasciutta=Dry Pasta
Pasta Fresca=Fresh Pasta


Linking to:
Full Plate Thursday, #371

12 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

Thumbs up for you making your own pasta, Elisabeth. I haven't made some in years. Time to start a batch too.

PH said...

Elisabeth, I love pasta! It's great you make fresh pasta at home. I have only seen these on TV and I wonder how it compares with the dry ones. I love sauce pastas and also the "dry" ones like aglio olio.

Elisabeth said...

Phong Hong, there's no comparison to homemade fresh pasta. They have an incredible fresh flavor and so light, yet al-dente (firm to the tooth) Although I prefer the dry pastas making them with more sauce variations that the pasta can uphold! Fresh pasta is mainly used for special occasions because it is time consuming, and mess to clean up!

Elisabeth said...

Angie, you are so multi talented, it would be so easy for you to make a batch with one of your gourmet and healthy flour!

https://booksthoughtsadventures.com said...

Both look delicious...really! I know Fresh is more delicious but I would eat both.

Elisabeth said...

Yes, both are delicious, the fresh is more work but I do love the dry pasta especially with all the various shapes for different dishes!

Whats Cookin Italian Style Cuisine said...

Seriously mouth watering ! I want some right now!!!! WOW

Joyful said...

I do enjoy fresh pasta over dry but I'll take it any way I can get it, lol. Yours looks delicious.

Miz Helen said...

There is really nothing better than a great bowl of fresh pasta, this looks fantastic! Have a great first week of spring and thanks so much for sharing your awesome post with FULL PLATE THURSDAY!
Miz Helen

Elisabeth said...

I love pasta and can eat it just about every day!

Elisabeth said...

Thank you Penny, I feel the same way...can take it any way!

Elisabeth said...

Miz Helen, I'm looking forward for Thursday to link up with you, it really gives me so much joy to see all the other food bloggers share all the good things they made! Happy Spring to you!